The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trapping minnows  (Read 2092 times)

Offline ice coach

• IceShanty Rookie
Trapping minnows
« on: Mar 06, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Im trying to trap some minnows and having a hard time was wondering if anybody had any tips. Thanks ;D

Mizayikaa

Re: Trapping minnows
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:24 PM »
I've never tried trapping them in the winter or through the ice but I catch a bunch in the spring.  I trap them in the rivers. Look for the slow pools and use some cheap dog food that is big enough that it wont fall through the holes of the traps. Not sure where you are trying but some waters are just better than others. Try a new spot. It might make all the difference.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2018, 01:28 PM »
When I lived in Circle, a friend of mine would set out traps in the Redwater River the day before a planned outing on Fort Peck.  If I recall correctly, he baited his traps with dog food.  Location wise didn't seem to matter over east, as 99% of the "river" is essentially a stagnant slough.  I'm by no means an expert (please correct me if you trap yourself and I'm off-base here) but I would try and find a soft pocket of water next to a riffle or faster current, the reason being if I was a small minnow about to run the swift water, I might need a break before/after expending the energy to get up it. 

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:16 PM »
River or lake?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Best place would be a pool under a road crossing culvert pipe..  JMO...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ice coach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2018, 02:39 PM »
I am trying to trap them in ditches in town that never freeze. Ive tried in pools three feet deep to narrow spots in the ditches that only have enough water to cover the trap. ;D

Offline RAD594

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2018, 02:13 AM »
Are you sure there are minnows there?   I use to put saltine crackers in the trap and they worked very well as long as there was very little current.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2018, 10:46 PM »
I would try a pool, back eddy or slack water next to current or a riffle.  You could tie some sagebrush to a cinder block for structure. If the ditch is all moving water, maybe find a slow section with some kind of structure like a deadfall. Dog food works as well as anything.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2018, 11:06 PM »
I would try a pool, back eddy or slack water next to current or a riffle.  You could tie some sagebrush to a cinder block for structure. If the ditch is all moving water, maybe find a slow section with some kind of structure like a deadfall. Dog food works as well as anything.

Offline MTmarabou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2018, 05:17 PM »
I trapped minnows in Nebraska I would catch them in small slow moving creeks.put bread in a trap and put it a deep pool it would be full by the next day.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I used to trap them like that on the North Platte in Wyoming, not far from Nebraska. I'd fill the trap with dog food or bread on a Sunday, check it on Friday, and have so many minnows for the weekend, I had to throw most of them back. I don't catch them like that up here on the Hi-Line. The few I do catch, get eaten by crawdads before I can check the trap. I can't put traps out during winter here, because the ice gets too thick. During spring, summer and fall, I  switch to nightcrawlers and leaches. So, now I buy my minnows and keep them alive all winter in a cooler in the garage.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:29 PM »
Where in the state are you ice coach? I do what most of these guys do with dog food in a deep pool in ditches in town. Below road bridges and by culverts seem to work best but are also good spots to get your traps stolen. If you’re in or near billings I can point you in a direction.

Offline ice coach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:37 AM »
tacojaun im in billings

Offline elk hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Ive had luck in small creeks with dog food
If the elk aren't bugling.    I am fishing

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:55 PM »
When I lived in Circle, a friend of mine would set out traps in the Redwater River the day before a planned outing on Fort Peck.  If I recall correctly, he baited his traps with dog food.  Location wise didn't seem to matter over east, as 99% of the "river" is essentially a stagnant slough.  I'm by no means an expert (please correct me if you trap yourself and I'm off-base here) but I would try and find a soft pocket of water next to a riffle or faster current, the reason being if I was a small minnow about to run the swift water, I might need a break before/after expending the energy to get up it. 
RuralMT, I have a friend who lives in Eureka. would you know Phil Emery?

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2018, 12:02 PM »
RDH, I haven't met him personally, but have heard mention of the name.  What does he do?

Offline liprippin49ers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Crumple a couple balls of tinfoil along with the dog food. It helps to attract them as it will shine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.