New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414657 times)

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1830 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:29 PM »
Game Hog... Did you check the ice in Mayville? Was anyone out?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1831 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Did not make it up that far. Know they are getting pounded with snow now though. Not good...

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1832 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Did not make it up that far. Know they are getting pounded with snow now though. Not good...
No, not good at all. That ice never had a chance to recover and now it's getting a blanket...no bueno
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1833 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:23 AM »
I live in buffalo and would love to get out for some deep water peach. Anyone been out near the Vikings club in mayville?

Offline sBillyzel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1834 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:14 AM »
Anyone fishing the Bell Tower, wondering how the ice is and if the fish are cooperating? Thanks!

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1835 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Fished Long Point today. Bite was very slow. Threw the whole kitchen at them today and couldnt get but a few dinks. Ice was 4-5".
Empire State Fishing

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #1836 on: Feb 16, 2016, 10:50 AM »
Burtis Bay Web Cam (click the link)
Current view of the ice/water:

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/towerclimber/1/show.html

10 day Mayville weather forecast: (click this link)

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/14757?month=0
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1837 on: Feb 16, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Trying to get out Thursday early morning, taking out someone who has never been ice fishing.   I figure that mayville is  our best bet for numbers of fish seeing that is my main goal for this trip to get them interested in ice fishing.  Also do you guys think it's worth it to try and get there before sun up to try and get a few crappies on the ice, just wondering if anyone has had any luck with crappie off mayville if it is even worth getting there that early to try for them.  I've never fishes crappie through the ice,  was wondering as well where in the water column would I target crappie say I'm fishing in 10ft of water do I fish right on the bottom like I would for perch for do you fish a little higher I've heard the crappie will rise to bite but will not lower due to the way their eyes are positioned.  Just seeing what you guys would recommend not looking for secrets spots just technique.

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1838 on: Feb 16, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Or I may possibly hit mayville tommorw night sometime after 6pm if the crappie anyone can give me info if the crappie bite would be worth it?  I know perch don't bite at night or I definitely would go and test the night bite eoth the newbie.  If it was just me I would go and give it a shot either way and test it out but my main goal is to get some fish on the line to get my sister a few fish, to keep her interested, so I'm leaning towards the day time bite if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.  You can PN me if you want.  Thank you in advance!!!

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1839 on: Feb 17, 2016, 09:45 PM »
Mayville's a good bet for panfish numbers. Ice should be good. Bite is usually good but a lot of small perch. Guys did decent on crappie last year there. Not sure what time of day but daytime crappie are not unheard of. I got into a nice school of decent size gills there last year. Small jigs and spoons tipped with plastics or spikes for quantity smalls. Jigs, larger spoons and jigging raps for occasional quality fish. Drill lots of holes right away and move around among them for a while searching for fish. A flasher or camera will greatly improve your chances. Look for weed openings in the 8 to 12 foot range to start. Gradually search deeper if no luck. Lastly, the Dave Genz method of panfish jigging really works great. It greatly improved my catch this year. Check him out on YouTube.

Offline buckduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1840 on: Feb 18, 2016, 09:52 AM »
This week I posted on the Reports page that I caught a few walleyes and mentioned the lack of other eye catch reports on the REPORTS page. Having some time this morning I went back from the first ice and mine is the only report of catching a walleye and there was one report of a crappie being caught. I find this more than odd. Saying you caught a fish will not mean all of western and central NY and northwestern PA will attack the lake. Chautauqua Lake is about 17 miles long so there is room for a few ice fishermen. If you catch one share the joy, there is no reason to expose the location.
I remember The Aquarium picture of a few years back, where it looked like the ice would sink on a nice weekend day with the hordes of people in a limited area. The guy who posted the info must have been run out of state since he has not posted recently. I do not believe a similar situation has happened since and does not need to happen again with sound, limited reporting.
In conclusion, I will let the cat out of the bag- there are eyes and crappie in Chautauqua Lake. The where, how, and when to catch them is part of what makes ice fishing fun and more rewarding if you get into them.
Please let's put the REPORTS back in the Reports and Conditions page so that the never ending discussion of dink perch can be kept to a minimum.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1841 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I was one that fell for the aquarium that year...what a joke...Think that's what closed down parking along road in that area so maybe mission accomplished???

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1842 on: Feb 18, 2016, 04:12 PM »
I was out there the day the ice dropped about 4".

DMEYERS your in box is full

Offline gonzo67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1843 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:09 PM »
I'm planning on a trip down to long pt or the Viking for perch. Anyone out in that area ? I see from a prior post the ice is roughly 4-5 inches thick.  Short season this yr.

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1844 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Chautauqua County

This came out today from the DEC.  It's a proposed change to the regs.  If adopted, it would go into effect 4/1/17.

Remove special regulation for Walleye in Chautauqua Lake (2017_R9_01)

Email a comment.

Description: Remove the special regulation for Walleye, 18 inch minimum size limit and 3 fish/day, from Chautauqua Lake. Walleye regulations on Chautauqua Lake will be covered by statewide regulations.

Rationale: The Walleye population in Chautauqua Lake has increased to the point that the special regulation is no longer necessary. Survey results have indicated a moderate to high abundance of Walleye since 2006.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1845 on: Feb 19, 2016, 07:47 PM »
WOW is all I can say. I would like to see a copy of them survey results. I find it hard to believe.

Offline eddiew_29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1846 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:03 PM »
WOW is all I can say. I would like to see a copy of them survey results. I find it hard to believe. Agreed. Very hard to believe. Go to a slot limit. Or shut down the stink biscuit facorty at prendergast and make it a walleye hatchery

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1847 on: Feb 19, 2016, 08:51 PM »
spent the day (8.5 hours) on the lake today, North of midway, >40 FOW

conditions: horrible dragging.  12-18 inches of snow, lots of drifts on walk out to fish.  Ice had 1-2 inches clear at bottom with 8+ inches white on top of it.  No slush while walking.  Once we drilled holes, lots of water on top, had to bring in snow for foot rests as to not sit in 4 or 5 inches of water.  Walking back to truck, still no slush, but snow melting fast and packing down.  Very wet, and still a hard drag

fishing:  quite a bit slower than usual for us.  Would be solid action for 10 - 20 minute then the school moves on and nothing for next 10-20 until next school moved back in.  Caught quite a few perch over the day , and ended with ~ 30 keepers. Was using white round head jig with minnow, or a rapala jigging rap for best action

hope for better next weekend.  Tight lines everyone!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1848 on: Feb 19, 2016, 10:46 PM »

This came out today from the DEC.  It's a proposed change to the regs. 

Description: Remove the special regulation for Walleye, 18 inch minimum size limit and 3 fish/day, from Chautauqua Lake. Walleye regulations on Chautauqua Lake will be covered by statewide regulations.

Rationale: The Walleye population in Chautauqua Lake has increased to the point that the special regulation is no longer necessary. Survey results have indicated a moderate to high abundance of Walleye since 2006.

If there is an abundance of walleye in Chautauqua as the DEC says then why aren't there an abundance of 14-16"
fish being caught.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1849 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:48 AM »
The numbers are gaining for sure but not to what they are saying. Hit 5 last night all 12-16". Not a single eye marked this am.

FrankM

« Reply #1850 on: Feb 20, 2016, 12:56 PM »
I would like to try for some perch tomorrow.  Any reports on ice conditions in the perch areas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1851 on: Feb 20, 2016, 02:57 PM »
The numbers are gaining for sure but not to what they are saying. Hit 5 last night all 12-16". Not a single eye marked this am.

that's because I'm not with you.  you are sure to get your limit then....me?  Skunked.  I'm ready for our crappie spot.

Offline rudder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1852 on: Feb 20, 2016, 04:01 PM »
Anyone out today? Getting warm and I would like to get out Sunday if possible.

Offline ice junkies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you wana catch more fish, go more often
« Reply #1853 on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:08 PM »
Ice was solid 6" on deep water north of long point today, however there's 3"-4" of standing water on top wear tall rubber boots.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1854 on: Feb 20, 2016, 10:49 PM »
I would like to try for some perch tomorrow.  Any reports on ice conditions in the perch areas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Go to the New York Fishing Reports and conditions section and look at the Chautauqua thread, hopefully you'll find what you want there if anyone posted.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1855 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Anyone have any info on where to get Bait tomorrow morning? Headed to long point from buffalo and didn't get bait tonight

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1856 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Hogans Hut on Rt 394 west side of chautauqua lake has bait. They are right off the I-86 at the route 394 exit.  If you're coming from buffalo you could also try Colville's- route 5 in Hamburg. There's also Dave's bait and tackle- route 5 in Derby. Not sure of their hours. I think Dave's opens at 7. If your going early Hogans might be open by the time you get there.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1857 on: Feb 22, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Awesome I'll give hogans hut a try. Thank you

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1858 on: Feb 23, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Cabelas also has minnows for future reference if u needed a spot around the area. Went to long pt today and had probably my best day. Around 35 keeper perch and 3 crappie!
Empire State Fishing

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1859 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Awesome I'll give hogans hut a try. Thank you

better call first...all he had for bait today were fat heads...no spikes or waxys...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.