New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 414114 times)

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1800 on: Jan 28, 2016, 02:15 PM »
Must be nursing that bummed leg.  :whistle: :whistle: ;D

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #1801 on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:02 PM »
???Where is Hijinks  :afro: and Snafu???  Always get a laugh out of their humor and ball busting.

Some of these posts are classics…
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=5050

:roflmao:

I'm at a meeting for work in Dallas and literally laughed out loud just now .. Classics ! Funniest guys out there.
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline Creighster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1802 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:54 PM »
Burtis Bay Perch, Ice Fishing Chautauqua Lake:

Video from our trip to Burtis last Monday. Not a very exciting video this week but I figure I'd share it here considering it is Chautauqua lake. Catching the usually dink perch with the occasional keeper-sized perch. Didn't catch any other pan-fish but it was the middle of the day; gills, sunnies, and crappy don't usually turn on till evening when I had to go to work. It was nice for me and my dad to have the entire bay to ourselves for a change anyway.

Offline Dmyerswny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1803 on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Is anything gonna be ok to fish tomorrow? Where you heading out from gamehog?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1804 on: Jan 29, 2016, 11:51 PM »
Burtis Bay Perch, Ice Fishing Chautauqua Lake:

Video from our trip to Burtis last Monday. Not a very exciting video this week but I figure I'd share it here considering it is Chautauqua lake. Catching the usually dink perch with the occasional keeper-sized perch. Didn't catch any other pan-fish but it was the middle of the day; gills, sunnies, and crappy don't usually turn on till evening when I had to go to work. It was nice for me and my dad to have the entire bay to ourselves for a change anyway.

A little trick I discovered two years ago when fishing deep water for perch.  Try the larger perch eyes and larger jigs.  You'll catch more 8"-10" perch. 

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1805 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for the tip but Burtis is only 5 to 10 ft max.I always use a perch eye and usually get bigger fish.

FN

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1806 on: Jan 31, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Well in the sports section of today's Post Journal (Jamestown's paper) there was a picture of a gentleman from Jamestown holding a big musky on the ice.  The caption reads "King of the Muskies". No other text is given.
That photo is incriminating evidence for the gentleman who caught the muskie and delayed its release by posing for photos.  The general regs read as follows:

"Fish caught during the closed season must be
unhooked and released immediately. They
may not be handled for any other purpose."

As an avid musky angler I want to make a couple points here.
Most likely this angler was targeting walleye and hooked this musky accidentally...It happens.  Catching a musky that size under any conditions is exciting and likely a once-in-a-lifetime event....I get it.  Given the angler likely caught it on walleye tackle it could have been a long fight.  If it was a long fight and the fish was kept out of the water for pictures and whatever else, there's a good chance it died post-release.
Musky are an important fish in Chautauqua Lake.  A good part of our local economy and the lake ecosystem depends on their survival.  I encourage anyone who incidentally hooks one out of season to swallow their pride and do whatever is necessary to get them released and back in the water asap. That means skipping the photo shoot or even taking them out of the water.  Best case if you're under-tackled may even be intentionally breaking off.
Shame on the Post Journal for publishing this photo which may inadvertently encouraging people to break the law.
I encourage the DEC to contact the individual and the newspaper. 
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1807 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:41 PM »
Wow Panamaniac that stinks. There was another guy that caught one last year who's picture was circulating in Buffalo muskie circles and I said the same thing.
Muskies shouldn't leave the water when accidently caught in the winter. I hope it was released unharmed.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1808 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:50 PM »
we had caught one a few yrs back a real slob and there  was two dec officers on site checking our licenses and ive got a picture with both of them standing right behind my buddy with his 25 lber they didn't seem to have a problem with a picture but I hope it didn't die!!!

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1809 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Panimanic you really have way to much free time to worry about a man taking a picture of a fish. I was on the ice tonite talking to locals that said they troll for them in the spring.  I am sure they take out way more Muskie than some poor guy taking a picture.     Mark

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1810 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:46 PM »
I will have to agree. Wishing ill will on a fellow fisherman for taking a picture has a really high pucker value...Its a musky, a big slimy walleye eating slime dart. Not exactly a delicacy either. Its claim to fame is being big. So, we must break our line on incidental catches??? They are stocked in the lake for crying out loud. They aren't even rare in that lake.

Offline trouts

• IceShanty Rookie
  • crappibass crappibass where are you?
« Reply #1811 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:48 PM »
He's well known and a hell of an ice fisherman. No doubt the fish was out of the water for maybe a few seconds. The locals know what they are doing. I've caught and lost dozens throwing jerk baits from shore in the spring. Yes. I bring them ashore to unhook them. Call the cops. A 5-1/2 inch broken off thunderstick has got to be worse than a 5 second photo op.

Offline jackie bushman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • swimmin' with the fishes
« Reply #1812 on: Feb 01, 2016, 04:50 AM »
Well in the sports section of today's Post Journal (Jamestown's paper) there was a picture of a gentleman from Jamestown holding a big musky on the ice.  The caption reads "King of the Muskies". No other text is given.
That photo is incriminating evidence for the gentleman who caught the muskie and delayed its release by posing for photos.  The general regs read as follows:

Most likely this angler was targeting walleye and hooked this musky accidentally...It happens.  Catching a musky that size under any conditions is exciting and likely a once-in-a-lifetime event....I get it.  Given the angler likely caught it on walleye tackle it could have been a long fight.  If it was a long fight and the fish was kept out of the water for pictures and whatever else, there's a good chance it died post-release.
Musky are an important fish in Chautauqua Lake.  A good part of our local economy and the lake ecosystem depends on their survival.  I encourage anyone who incidentally hooks one out of season to swallow their pride and do whatever is necessary to get them released and back in the water asap. That means skipping the photo shoot or even taking them out of the water.  Best case if you're under-tackled may even be intentionally breaking off.
Shame on the Post Journal for publishing this photo which may inadvertently encouraging people to break the law.

Go check the Susquehanna River thread on here.  Your head will explode and you'll have a meltdown !! Your investigation can move quickly with his IP address. The guy who took the picture can probably be charged as an accomplice or aiding/abetting ??
Team Capt. Cuba Lake All-Stars .. It's like always being a man up everytime we hit the ice !
Mentor of many future Cuba Lake Legends

Offline KiNzua Kid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1813 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:57 AM »
Hammered nice perch yesterday but ice was rotting fast.I wanted to go today but afraid of conditions.

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1814 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:13 AM »

Calm down probably his first Muskie, stop being so butthurt. 

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1815 on: Feb 01, 2016, 08:47 AM »
Certainly not his first musky. He's not the first one to take a pic of one on the ice. But ignorance of the law won't help you if the DEC comes knocking at your door. Putting that pic out there to the media can be like writing your own ticket.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1816 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Walleye eating dart, not edible..Jeffro,you're ignorance continues to grow with each post. You've contributed exactly ZERO to this forum since you got here..

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1817 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:57 PM »
I'm glad I sparked a little chatter on here...I'd like to respond and clarify.
I don't wish ill will on anyone.  I was trying to bring awareness to the way the DEC general regulations are worded and why.  If I accidentally put a 55" inch walleye-eating snot missile on the ice this year I'll be shaking like a leaf and proud as a peacock.  I may even try to get a friend to snap shots or video of the fight and immediate release.
What I wouldn't do is send the pictures to the Post Journal or put them on a public website.
As far as breaking off I'd assume everyone would be logical on this.  If you have the proper release tools to extract your rapalas from a big musky during walleye season.....Cheers to you! By all means get your plug back.  If one inhales your 1/16 oz crappie jig you're best just breaking off.
Lets hope for another year of ice fishing till April!
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1818 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:02 PM »
Hahaha Panamaniac youre a man after my own heart..a 55" is a life - beast...and a pair of Knipex will work wonders for any angler. ..

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #1819 on: Feb 02, 2016, 06:16 AM »
I'm at a meeting for work in Dallas and literally laughed out loud just now .. Classics ! Funniest guys out there.

Hi. Be patient. Snafu and I are just dandy and planning something epic for when the ice season comes into full swing come March or June.
We sent out telegrams to every Amish town this side of the Mason-Dixon. 
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1820 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:41 AM »
Went by Mayville yesterday and seen 2 guys really pushing their luck on that ice by the Belle,please use your head and be careful and safe,there's always the spring perching event.

FN

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1821 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:03 AM »
It looks like there is still ice on the burtis web cam. We might still get some more fishing in yet after next week.     Mark

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1822 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Took a ride/walk yesterday. The ice pack stayed together for the most part. Shore ice was gone for the first 10'. Creeks were rolling and chewing out into the lake pretty good. Weather this week says no ice making going on but next week looks promising.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1823 on: Feb 04, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Shore gone in mayville too ?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1824 on: Feb 04, 2016, 04:31 PM »
Didn't make it that far north. Every where else it was gone.

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1825 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:24 PM »
Anyone been by Long Pt. recently? Its a two hour drive for me and I really want to fish there one time before the season is over. Im hoping by end of next week things should be in better conditions.
Empire State Fishing

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1826 on: Feb 05, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Anyone been by Long Pt. recently? Its a two hour drive for me and I really want to fish there one time before the season is over. Im hoping by end of next week things should be in better conditions.
Look at Game Hog's 2/4/16 (9:46 am) post above.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1827 on: Feb 05, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Stopped by again tonight. No one out. I wouldn't recommend going until next weekend. Shore has a skin on it but it going to take a bit.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1828 on: Feb 10, 2016, 06:46 AM »
Just an FYI for anyone planning on fishing the north end this weekend. Mayville is having their winterfest. No ice castle this year but all festivities are going on. Please use extra caution on the ice.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1829 on: Feb 10, 2016, 04:04 PM »
Just an FYI for anyone planning on fishing the north end this weekend. Mayville is having their winterfest. No ice castle this year but all festivities are going on. Please use extra caution on the ice.
In years past when there wasn't enough ice for the ice castle they would build it out of hay or straw bales and have the fire company spray it with water which would freeze and make it look like ice.  But the cold weather this year is probably too close to the festival weekend to do that again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.