New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413121 times)

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1680 on: Mar 27, 2015, 10:56 PM »
Sunday I want to try midway for my first time any help would be greatly appreciated

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1681 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:21 AM »
unless you're trying to get into the 2 deep holes that are north of the vikings club, there is really no difference from any other deep water spot.  biggest difference is that the vikings club has been kind enough to let people fish out of their lot. it is privately owned and can be shut down if people don't respect that fact. people screw things up by littering, tearing up the lawn when the ground is soft, peeing in the parking lot or in view of the restaurant windows, parking near the building so their members don't have room, etc.  long point, prendergast point, bell tower are all near deep water and fish are caught easily at all locations.  mayville is normally a shallow water fishery, with more bluegill/sunfish and crappie, although perch are there also.

Offline Bigfishbuffny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1682 on: Mar 28, 2015, 04:00 PM »
Did anyone fish long point today? How was the shore ice and were the fish biting? Thanks :tipup:

Offline rando3369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1683 on: Mar 28, 2015, 05:30 PM »
I stopped by long point tonight.  There were 4 groups of guys fishing.  Looks like to get on you need to go off the end of the dock.  One group said they did well.  30 fow with shiners.  I'm going in the morning either there or at vikings.  Anyone else going out?  I'll be out by myself and hoping there is at least someone else out there.

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1684 on: Mar 28, 2015, 07:28 PM »
Pretty good day out there today slower than last trip. Fished a half day kept about 35 nicer ones. There are some nice looking jumbos down there on the camera but only hit dead stick but spit it out at the hook every time.guess they didn't grow that sizeby being dumb lol. I switched up between a 3 jig rig and a single puppet minnow which seemed to weed out some of the smaller ones morning bite was good after 11 seemed to turn off a bit but shore was great drag was great good way to end the season for myself but anyone looking to scratch the itch one more time the ice was at least 16 inches 8-10 inches of black ice and it has been cold enough to hold up another week I'd say. Good luck stay safe here's to a cold one next year and continued fish growth

Offline Bigfishbuffny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1685 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I will be there in the morning by myself, hope you see you there good luck fishing. I have a nanook clam 2 man if anyone wants to join just come by

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1686 on: Mar 28, 2015, 08:50 PM »
be at vickings  at 8 or 9 am

Offline kenkuniff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1687 on: Mar 28, 2015, 09:24 PM »
Will be at Long Point about 8.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1688 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:25 PM »
Pretty good day out there today slower than last trip. Fished a half day kept about 35 nicer ones. There are some nice looking jumbos down there on the camera. Shore was great drag was great good way to end the season for myself but anyone looking to scratch the itch one more time the ice was at least 16 inches 8-10 inches of black ice and it has been cold enough to hold up another week I'd say. Good luck stay safe here's to a cold one next year and continued fish growth

Not a bad report but you negelated to give the area for your ice report so how does anyone know where to go to get to this safe  ice??? 

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1689 on: Mar 28, 2015, 10:37 PM »
unless you're trying to get into the 2 deep holes that are north of the vikings club, there is really no difference from any other deep water spot.  biggest difference is that the vikings club has been kind enough to let people fish out of their lot. it is privately owned and can be shut down if people don't respect that fact. people screw things up by littering, tearing up the lawn when the ground is soft.  Long point, prendergast point, bell tower are all near deep water and fish are caught easily at all locations.  mayville is normally a shallow water fishery, with more bluegill/sunfish and crappie, although perch are there also.

The Bell Tower is also a private access and parking area.  I again today picked up paper wrappers and beer cans in the parking lot and I noticed that the edge of the lower driveway near the parking area is extremely rutted from vehicles parking where they shouldn't.  I would not be surprised if we loose this access and parking area, and who to blame but the ignorant fishermen that don't care.  I can not see Chautauqua Institute putting up with this mis-use for much longer.  Please use this access properly, don't litter and only park where you are suppose to.

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1690 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:18 AM »
Not a bad report but you negelated to give the area for your ice report so how does anyone know where to go to get to this safe  ice???
[/quote

Your right my fault but read prior posts this report is outa the Vikings. My inlaws were there Wednesday I gave a report and was out yesterday I'd say 10-15 other huts out in the long point/Vikings area

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1691 on: Mar 29, 2015, 07:30 AM »
How do u guys post pics on here again don't u have to use another app or website or something goofy. I'd love to share and show off a bit to look back at a good year out

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1692 on: Mar 29, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Maybe a few of us should offer to the institute to fix the Bell Tower ruts sometime this spring.  A few guys spending half a day with hand tools and a few bags of mulch and seed could go a long way to preserve access to this great spot.  I think for the most part icers are clean and considerate when it comes to using access spots.  No point in having a few inconsiderate users ruining it for the rest of us.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1693 on: Mar 29, 2015, 09:37 AM »
How do u guys post pics on here again don't u have to use another app or website or something goofy. I'd love to share and show off a bit to look back at a good year out

Go to the 1st level page "Ice shanty community" then open "Ice fishing media" , then "Ice fishing Pictures"  In that section you will find all you need to know about how to post your pic's.

Offline Rob W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1694 on: Mar 29, 2015, 12:13 PM »
Was off Vikings Sat, good day, lots of perch - kept 26 9-10 1/2 inchers and another musky (that's 2 in 2 weeks for my fishing buddy) we broke off at the hole.  if, last month, you'd told me you could catch musky with a 1 1/4 inch buckshot jig, I'd of laughed at you.   

Was my 1st season on the ice, and was great.  Learned a lot from the folks on here, and a big tip of the hat to Deadhead88 and Waltman for the help they gave in getting me on the fish.  This is a great fishery, and met a lot of super folks out there. 

Peace!

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1695 on: Mar 29, 2015, 05:43 PM »
Anytime rob I don't mind giving pointers here and there guys on here have helped me just don't tell too many people lol 😉

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1696 on: Mar 29, 2015, 06:09 PM »
Was at Vikings today. All I can say is DINKVILLE. Got 50 or so and maybe 6-8 keepers. Threw all back. I,m done!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline spindiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1697 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:10 AM »
Hello I am two hrs away to far to check my self is any one fishin the creek by smithboys yet or is it to early for crappys to be there thanks for any info

Offline LoboWNY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1698 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Thanks for the good reports.  Jealous now that it's over for me.  (My only trip up was late Feb and had auger problem so was limited to one spot, so not much to report.)  Anyone have an ice-out prediction?  Now that it's over for me, trying to begin to plan toward getting dock and boat in as soon as feasible...    I'm guessing around Apr 20...

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #1699 on: Mar 30, 2015, 09:44 AM »
Hello I am two hrs away to far to check my self is any one fishin the creek by smithboys yet or is it to early for crappys to be there thanks for any info
Lake still has 16 inches of ice it will be awhile for calico in the canals
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1700 on: Mar 30, 2015, 05:20 PM »
this weather is going to suck. (Warm). I have all next week off >:(

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1701 on: Mar 30, 2015, 06:56 PM »
tis the transitional season!u still might be able to get out bring planks and be safe gl!

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #1702 on: Mar 31, 2015, 06:37 AM »
just checked lake cam,,, geeez is that blizzard or fog!!!!! cant see nada
youngster

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1703 on: Mar 31, 2015, 06:55 AM »
Its Freekn snow!!! :o
supposed to get 5 or 6 inches today

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1704 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:07 PM »
we got 5 inches down here.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1705 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:46 PM »
going to be in the 60's Thursday be safe out there

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1706 on: Mar 31, 2015, 06:43 PM »
Ours is melting a little. the ground got a chance to warm up which made the roads crappy this morning. it will be gone for a few days but its supposed to snow again Saturday

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1707 on: Apr 01, 2015, 01:28 AM »
This snow will cover the bad ice, so go with a partner and be safe.

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1708 on: Apr 01, 2015, 03:13 PM »
did every one give up already ???

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1709 on: Apr 01, 2015, 05:32 PM »
did every one give up already ???

I did! I'm ready to get my kayak out. I've even been picking some things up to add to it :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.