New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413382 times)

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1590 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:16 PM »
anybody have luck out of longpoint today? plan on fishing it tommorow.

Guys were out there seems like that whole area is loaded u should have no trouble finding them. We fished the Vikings club Wednesday and today essentially the same spot as lp and limited by 1 both times in 35-40 fow Bring ur creepers no more slush  on our drag in from the rain just a skating rink with 2 inches of water on top

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1591 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Dead
  Were there may people at long point? It was a city last Sat. Might try it Sun. on way home.

Offline jakemanges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1592 on: Mar 14, 2015, 08:26 PM »
thanks for the update

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1593 on: Mar 14, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Probley at least 20 shantys a lot of people on buckets.   Mark

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1594 on: Mar 15, 2015, 04:59 AM »
Couple of pics from Saturday... Wear ice cleats! lots of ice still. I tried jigging a swedish pimple for the 1st time and caught a lot of perch on it. also we caught them on Rosies and a little red plastic jig that comes in a tube at the counter at hogans hut.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1595 on: Mar 15, 2015, 07:14 PM »
Fished Chautauqua for the first time ever. I had a nice pile of perch on the ice and here comes this group of about 7 or 8 guys and they set up right on top of me about 10' maybe 15' away. **censored**. :%$#!:
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1596 on: Mar 15, 2015, 08:44 PM »
Fished Chautauqua for the first time ever. I had a nice pile of perch on the ice and here comes this group of about 7 or 8 guys and they set up right on top of me about 10' maybe 15' away. **censored**. :%$#!:

that happens but doesn't mean that you will catch less fish.

got a pic my woman took of me with the smallest fish of the day!

Offline benthekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1597 on: Mar 15, 2015, 09:02 PM »

finally got into some walters

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1598 on: Mar 16, 2015, 12:02 AM »

Don't broadcast.   If your in a hut they won't see the fish, if your on a bucket put the fish in the bucket and they won't see the fish.  Lesson learned from years of fishing.

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a man and his ice rod (& hut, aug, vex, quad)
« Reply #1599 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Hammered the 8-9 inch perch Friday afternoon and all day Saturday at Long Point.  We were out around the point and north in 33 ft of water.  Sunday was real windy and we stayed inside the point.  Still did well, but not quite as good.  Fish were biting everything you threw down when they were on.  The bite came in waves over the course of the day.

Sorry for making so many trips with the snowmobile back and forth to the marina.  We had a bunch of guys and some of them had medical issues so walking on the ice was very rough for them.  I tried to go slow and stay as far as I could from the people fishing.  I've had it with guys on sleds going 80 miles an hour 20 feet from where your fishing.  I definitely try not to be that guy.

Congrats to the guy with the huge Musky next to us on Saturday.  Awesome fish, I hope it survived.  Hopefully he posts a pic of it in the near future or I might just have to do it for him.

Good fishing with you, Jason.  Hope to do it again.  Congrats on the great fishing in the hole Saturday and killing the big ones on Erie Sunday.

Sorry I didn't get your message until it was to later, We3jeepers.  I was looking but didn't see you. 
If my advice sounds good, you probably need more practice.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1600 on: Mar 16, 2015, 09:40 AM »
if you were on an older  loud sled around dark Saturday I did see you.... you went by me on one or 2 of your trips back Saturday.
I was ahead of my woman a ways that way I could get our white 4 door chevy tracker. Pretty sure it was you because I was thinking how nice it was the guy on the snowmobile make a big arc around everyone!

Offline Bbrown24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1601 on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Thinking of hittin chataqua for the first time ever either tomorrow or friday. How long will the ice be good enough to fish on? Does anyone have any good spots they could give a first timer? Any info is much appreciated.
Empire State Fishing

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #1602 on: Mar 16, 2015, 05:42 PM »
Thinking of hittin chataqua for the first time ever either tomorrow or friday. How long will the ice be good enough to fish on? Does anyone have any good spots they could give a first timer? Any info is much appreciated.
A lot of info on the 81 pages of "BS" go back and just read like 6 pages and I'm positive you'll have at least 5 spots worthy to try

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1603 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:28 AM »
Go out of the Viking Club or Midway and get to 20+ fow water and you will catch perch. You will get all you want in the 8-9.5" range.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1604 on: Mar 17, 2015, 06:32 AM »
I want some in the 10-12" range  ;D

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1605 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I think you need to be on a bigger lake for that size perch, Jeepers!  I want them too, just debating the logic of trying Erie.  Chautauqua is the safe bet, Erie is the high stakes gambling.  We will see what the weekend brings.

Bbrown,  Fishing John is right,  just look back over the last 5 or 6 pages and just about all your questions will be answered.  Pick what kind of fish you want to go after and you can find a spot.  Bluegill or occasional crappie is Mayville, perch is 30-40 foot deep anywhere there is public access.  When in doubt, look for a group of huts and just set up around them.  (giving them some room, of course).  Just remember your ice cleats, they will be absolutely necessary this weekend.

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1606 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:47 AM »

A pic of a guy with a monster Musky caught off Long Point.  He didn't want to hurt the fish by holding him up, but I begged him to.  It's the picture of a lifetime.  45 inches long and we have no idea how much it weighed.  He got it back in the water right away and that monster is still swimming around today, gentlemen.  I can only hope to be lucky enough to have my picture with it someday.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1607 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:01 PM »
Tip up or jigging pole? and what was he using? I'd love to catch a musky!

Offline Crappie_Rod

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CRAP EYE
« Reply #1608 on: Mar 17, 2015, 07:16 PM »
must have been accidental catch. you can't target them. out of season

Offline caliking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOTTA GET EM' WHILE THE WATER COLD THEY HARD.....
« Reply #1609 on: Mar 17, 2015, 08:03 PM »
Holy smokes what a fish! Probably caught it on a perch that bit a pimple and was on its way up to the hole. My buddy joey got a big boy at the same spot a few years back. Think its on YouTube still. Beautiful fish!

Offline brian318

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over Ill fish there too
« Reply #1610 on: Mar 17, 2015, 09:10 PM »
awesome, that's one to remember for a lifetime

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1611 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:20 AM »

That's what she said. ;D ;D ;D
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #1612 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:51 AM »
That's what she said. ;D ;D ;D

Actually she did cause she goes fishing as well!

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1613 on: Mar 18, 2015, 07:38 AM »
He caught it on a tip up trying for Walleye or big perch.  He had used a 6" auger to drill the holes and had to get a bigger one to lengthen the hole to get it out.  Even then managing to get it out of the hole was a feat.  This was after fighting him by hand for at least 1/2 and hour, maybe longer.  He definitely "earned" that fish.  I hope he gets a replica to mount on the wall next to his picture of it.

My friend a week ago caught one on a jigging rapala of Dewitville Bay that he says was 48 inches and a foot across the back.  He didn't have a camera (or phone) to take a picture, though.  Most guys I wouldn't believe but he actually doesn't even have a cell phone and fishes all the time. 

When Musky season opens, I'm going to have to give it a try here.  I'm sure my wife won't mind me spending even more money on the poles and lures for another kind of fishing.  Especially when she finds out we won't be eating it, and could be paying more to mount it! 

FrankM

« Reply #1614 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:24 AM »
We used to catch muskies all the time trolling with Rapalas at night for walleyes.  They can be a nuisance.  They are fun to catch but difficult to get a Rapala unhooked from as they tend to thrash around a lot.

Offline windburn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • take your kids fishin'
« Reply #1615 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:33 AM »
Anyone know how the ice is holding up at long point or the vikings? Thinking about making the 2 hour run tomorrow. Thanks.

Offline icedogger17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1616 on: Mar 18, 2015, 02:08 PM »
Anyone know how the ice is holding up at long point or the vikings? Thinking about making the 2 hour run tomorrow. Thanks.
[/quote
X2 tomorrow will be my first time making the trip to Chautauqua this year ND would like the same info, thanks!

Offline ricksimpson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1617 on: Mar 18, 2015, 05:19 PM »
I fished here last weekend. Am i crazy for going this saturday or do you folks think it will be safe ??

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1618 on: Mar 18, 2015, 06:41 PM »
I fished last night. Conditions haven't changed much. Not saying it's totaly safe out there but I'll be at it for another week.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1619 on: Mar 18, 2015, 11:01 PM »

I caught three 12" perch this year at Chautauqua and a couple 11" but mainly 8-10" fish in this lake this year. I was out over a dozen times.  If you really need the 10 TO 12" perch in quantity Chautauqua is the wrong lake for you.   Try Oneida it is still safe or Erie but Erie may not be safe anymore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.