New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 415292 times)

Offline jakemanges

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1470 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:28 AM »
anyone know how the slush is out of longpoint? i was out saturday and it was tough walking

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1471 on: Feb 11, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I was out yesterday near LP and these were the conditions. Walking wasn't bad. I was following a snowmobile track and not breaking through. A bit slippery actually. When I got off the track the top was froze enough that the sled would stay on top but each step broke through about 6" of hard snow. Got to where I was fishing and shoveled a small opening in the snow. 2" of water on top. Drilled a hole and now 4" of water. All in all wasn't bad just a bit ruff on the legs.

Offline jakemanges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1472 on: Feb 11, 2015, 02:33 PM »
ok thanks

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1473 on: Feb 14, 2015, 05:01 PM »
Anyone go out today? Wondering how the drag is, im going tomorrow if the road condition arent too bad

Offline rando3369

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1474 on: Feb 14, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Anyone go out today? Wondering how the drag is, im going tomorrow if the road condition arent too bad

I was out at Prendergast this morning and the southern basin in the afternoon. Both had areas of hard crust that I would break through and then probably 4" - 6" of slush.  Made for some hard walking.  As someone said above walking on the snowmobile tracks was easier - sometimes.  At least the sled stayed on top.  Hopefully it hardens up more overnight.  Caught a bunch of small perch only a few over 8".  Some tough conditions out there.  Stay safe.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1475 on: Feb 14, 2015, 09:20 PM »

Fished mid lake off the point in 38 FOW. There is a 3" crust over the remaining 4-5"of slush and the main ice is 10" thick below that.  On foot we did not break through, but the crust is rough and with all the snow and wind today there are some deep drift out there.  Another couple of days and there will be 16" of solid ice once the remaining slush freezes.   40 MPH winds and blizzard conditions started around 11 am, but we stuck it out till 3 pm when wind got to bad.   

Perch Chacer

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1476 on: Feb 16, 2015, 05:04 AM »
I just saw on channel 4 that snowmobilers are to stay off the lake do to conditions of snow and slush!!!

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1477 on: Feb 16, 2015, 06:46 AM »
Read that. Lots of snow/slush out there. My thoughts were pleasure riders out there for this past weekends festivities. Hard to believe how much that snow can insulate things. Truck read -24 at 7am.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1478 on: Feb 16, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Snowmobiles went by us in all directions all day Saturday and didn't seem to be having any problems.

Offline benthekid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1479 on: Feb 16, 2015, 12:17 PM »
i found an auger. if its yours please pm me where you lost it and description and ill gladly return it!

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #1480 on: Feb 17, 2015, 12:33 AM »
I was at long pt sunday and was walking on top of crust, and not breaking through.

Offline steel123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1481 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:51 AM »
Fished Chautauqua for the first time. I went out of pendergast and fished nothing but big jiggin Rapalas to weed away the lil perch. I landed a 6lb eye and lost a big musky at the hole and marked a few other larger fish. I Feel Chautauqua lake is.making a turn around with the walleye.. any opinions? Anybody else fishing the eyes w any luck?
"There's no head like steelhead".. -a wise fisherman

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1482 on: Feb 17, 2015, 06:53 AM »
Been out 30 times this year with out catching a legal eye. Be thankful you found one that was hungry.

Offline dukman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1483 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Fished Chautauqua for the first time. I went out of pendergast and fished nothing but big jiggin Rapalas to weed away the lil perch. I landed a 6lb eye and lost a big musky at the hole and marked a few other larger fish. I Feel Chautauqua lake is.making a turn around with the walleye.. any opinions? Anybody else fishing the eyes w any luck?

The amount of small walleyes being caught is certainly a very good sign of hopefully better fishing.

Offline Peter3759

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1484 on: Feb 17, 2015, 08:42 PM »
looking to go out on thurs. will I be able to use my atv? I would assume that after all these negative temps that the slush is frozen but I also don't want to make an ass out of myself! Thanks

Offline limpit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1485 on: Feb 17, 2015, 09:05 PM »
anyone catching crappie at nite yet

Offline icemanbuds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1486 on: Feb 18, 2015, 11:47 AM »
I agree with Game Hog.  I only fish big jigging raps and have only managed one keeper eye at Chautauqua this year (22"/5lbs), but have caught a lot of 6-12 shorts.  It came at noon in deeper water mixed in with the perch.  It spit up several 3" perch that it had been feeding on.  I think the big ones are still there.... just well fed with all the dink perch around.  Hopefully everyone can get on them as we get closer to the end of the season...

Offline don519

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1487 on: Feb 18, 2015, 10:10 PM »
I fished pendgrast  today 16" of ice with 4"-6" of snow and we didn't find any slush out to 30 fow a couple of sled seemed to be getting around ok

Offline DandD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1488 on: Feb 19, 2015, 06:22 AM »
I'm headed over tomorrow and want to fish Midway/Pendergast area.  Which side is best parking situation for snowmobile trailer...or do I have to come up from Long Point?

Offline jakemanges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1489 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:21 AM »
hows the slush out of longpoint?

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1490 on: Feb 19, 2015, 10:32 AM »
Fished LP Tuesday.  There was no slush and a much easier drag than other spots on the lake that I have been fishing.

Offline Warner22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1491 on: Feb 19, 2015, 05:01 PM »
What has been the magical depth this year? This year I have tried a lot of different depths, but the one I have had the most success is 13 fow right outside of the weed bed. Has anyone had success in deeper water or shallow water?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1492 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:47 PM »
What has been the magical depth this year? This year I have tried a lot of different depths, but the one I have had the most success is 13 fow right outside of the weed bed. Has anyone had success in deeper water or shallow water?

What ya fishing for?  Gills shallow and perch deep all Winter so far.

Perch Chacer

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1493 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:11 PM »
Anyone have plans to fish off mayville next week at all?  Haven't fished there before but I want to this year.  Only fished Chautauqua once years ago.  I would appreciate it if I could meet up with someone who is more familiar with the place.

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1494 on: Feb 20, 2015, 06:19 AM »
Hey guys can anyone help me out with an address to the vikings club my father in law took us out there last year. 5 min easy walk to deep water with decent sized perch. I tried to take a buddy for his first time walked 2+ miles on Erie I caught 4 slobs one buddy a 26 inch lake trout first timer got skunked. Thinking Chautauqua might be better just for fun. How has it been this year still mostly dinks?

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1495 on: Feb 20, 2015, 11:48 AM »
4923 RT430 Bemus Point NY

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1496 on: Feb 20, 2015, 12:36 PM »
Anyone have plans to fish off mayville next week at all?  Haven't fished there before but I want to this year.  Only fished Chautauqua once years ago.  I would appreciate it if I could meet up with someone who is more familiar with the place.

You don't need a guide.  There are always huts out of Mayville and they clump together.  Just get near the group.  Use small jig with grubs or fish eyes and you will catch gills and perch.  You will have to sort through them in order to keep the larger ones to take home.   Parking is at the lot across the street from the Gas station and the 2nd parking lot is just down the road further at the town park.  Have fun.

Perch Chacer

Offline bills25

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1497 on: Feb 21, 2015, 01:00 AM »
I've heard about a lot of people catching a lot more short Walleye than years past.  Do you think it may be because of the huge white perch die off last spring.  I've heard people say that they are an invasive species tobyhr lake,  and they ate Alot of the walleye eggs and walleye fry.  Was wondering if you guys think maybe that huge die off is in fact helping the walleye hatch possibly make a comeback? 

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1498 on: Feb 21, 2015, 07:34 AM »
Possible. These eyes are a couple years old. They are everywhere from shallow to the deepest holes.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1499 on: Feb 21, 2015, 09:05 AM »
I dudnt realize there was a white perch die off.  Most years i catch a lot of tbem in burtis none this year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.