New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 415026 times)

Offline Grapeman9825

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1110 on: Feb 18, 2014, 06:47 PM »
Got a couple big 11inch white bass or white perch or silver bass whatever the heck they are I kept the are they any good eating?   How big do they get

Where were you fishing when you got those???? I have got plenty in the summer but would love to get them through the ice... change things up a bit and catch something other that  yellow perch and gills.

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1111 on: Feb 18, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Burtis bay. saw a few more on camera bu wouldnt hit. also saw 3muskie well maybe the same one 3times but it was neat to see

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
« Reply #1112 on: Feb 18, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Yes I was there also I hope they didn't bother you'll they were boy scout on there first time out and yes they had a great time.
Only thing that bothers me is that it didnt seem like they were running to those tip downs enough ! Bite couldve been better for them.. Its AWESOME to all those kids on the ice!!! The future of our sport! Great job getting them out there!

Offline theperchdraggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1113 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:31 AM »
not sure how many wallls r in the lake.  have not heard much on success of stocking program the last few years.
most wallls we catch thru ice r either off prendergast or mission meadows. tough bite go small.  7s or #5 raps
seem to produce even when a live minnow wont. do not tip rap with anything.
about 15 yrs ago we pulled white perch  22 n 24in thru the ice of long point. these fish were breeders.
never saw in lake before that. makes me wonder where they came from. also that seemed that was beginning of end for
chaq's great walleye fishing.
can anybody verify this? about 4 yrs ago there was an apparent carp die off. i understand carp eat tons of
perch eggs; this mite explain all the dinks. either way this good ice shld help reduce nos....
if u feel like cleaning 7 inchers. either way chaq sure isnt what it was not that long ago.
tite line my friends!!!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1114 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:36 AM »
not sure how many wallls r in the lake.  have not heard much on success of stocking program the last few years.
most wallls we catch thru ice r either off prendergast or mission meadows. tough bite go small.  7s or #5 raps
seem to produce even when a live minnow wont. do not tip rap with anything.
about 15 yrs ago we pulled white perch  22 n 24in thru the ice of long point. these fish were breeders.
never saw in lake before that. makes me wonder where they came from. also that seemed that was beginning of end for
chaq's great walleye fishing.
can anybody verify this? about 4 yrs ago there was an apparent carp die off. i understand carp eat tons of
perch eggs; this mite explain all the dinks. either way this good ice shld help reduce nos....
if u feel like cleaning 7 inchers. either way chaq sure isnt what it was not that long ago.
tite line my friends!!!!

24" White Perch???  Might be a record for that!!!  Maybe they are some other kind od White fish????

Offline Hunter44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1115 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I wasn't with them I just help with the set up of tent so they cook and get warm. The guys that were set up were friends of mine. I was fishing with one of there dad and some other friends. Yes it was great that young men and lady took the time to give these kids some great memory. It was great to hear them boys talk about how many fish they caught and just seeing them having a good time sure did make my day!

Offline theperchdraggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1116 on: Feb 19, 2014, 11:06 AM »
cld be wrong... wldnt be 1st time but fished chaq since 75 n never saw a fish like that til then. never even saw a white perch in the lake til
about 2000. yhey reminded me of a striped bass but were not white bass, caught plenty of those in erie.
these were big fat fish  with more rounded body than long.... more like a white perch than white bass.
wish i had pictures now  but that was 99 n no cell ph with camera in my arsenal back thenl

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1117 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:31 PM »
cld be wrong... wldnt be 1st time but fished chaq since 75 n never saw a fish like that til then. never even saw a white perch in the lake til
about 2000. yhey reminded me of a striped bass but were not white bass, caught plenty of those in erie.
these were big fat fish  with more rounded body than long.... more like a white perch than white bass.
wish i had pictures now  but that was 99 n no cell ph with camera in my arsenal back thenl
white bass have the black stripes on them and white perch don't..that's how I was always taught to tell the difference

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1118 on: Feb 19, 2014, 01:33 PM »
And anything over 19" would most certaintly be considered a record in NYS

Offline jayy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1119 on: Feb 19, 2014, 03:08 PM »

Almost sounds like a hybrid striped bass.  Did the dec ever experiment with those? I know pa stocks them in several places but I dont remember ny ever doing so. 

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1120 on: Feb 19, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Very well could of been a couple of hybrid stripers accidentally thrown in,would be cool to have DEC stock some in our area like Erie or Chautauqua,anyone know how we can lobby for this to happen,don't know if they are breeders or not,most likely not.

FN

Offline NY_labman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1121 on: Feb 19, 2014, 07:44 PM »

Here's a 15 incher I caught in Dewittville a couple weeks ago.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1122 on: Feb 19, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Pretty sure that's a white bass because of the black stripes...nice fish!..I prefer to smoke them

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1123 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:11 PM »
definitely white bass.catch them in lower niagara river all the time !

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1124 on: Feb 19, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Ps. thanks to whoever posted on finding the 9to10 foot hole off the park in Mayville!! hit it about 300ish yards out and cleaned up on big perch and a couple mystery breakoffs (to big for 1#line)or toothy ?admittedly though,i did get alot of dinks till i found the spot!even then they only hit the dead stick!figured that out after getting bored and taking a beverage and munch break. ;D

Offline loverboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1125 on: Feb 20, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Go to NYS/DEC fish identification.  White bass has 8 spikes in the dorsal while the white perch has 6-7.  Also the white bass has 8 lateral lines while the perch does not.

Offline Pikeplower32

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin-On-Water
« Reply #1126 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Anybody get into the evening craps yet at mayville or Burtis.?

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Working to afford bait!
« Reply #1127 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Ps. thanks to whoever posted on finding the 9to10 foot hole off the park in Mayville!! hit it about 300ish yards out and cleaned up on big perch and a couple mystery breakoffs (to big for 1#line)or toothy ?admittedly though,i did get alot of dinks till i found the spot!even then they only hit the dead stick!figured that out after getting bored and taking a beverage and munch break. ;D

Not a problem. Glad you had some luck!
-Chris

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1128 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Anybody get into the evening craps yet at mayville or Burtis.?

I went out two weeks ago trying to find some and only got 1 short one.  Skipped it this week and went to a smaller lake and got some.  I will be trying Mayville again next week, will let you know how I do.
-Chris

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1129 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:09 AM »
anybody got any word on Bear Lake? It's kind of quiet on here about that.

Offline Pikeplower32

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin-On-Water
« Reply #1130 on: Feb 20, 2014, 10:35 AM »
anybody got any word on Bear Lake? It's kind of quiet on here about that.
I was wondering the same thing haven't heard anything about it this year. I'm tryin to find some crappie. Maybe I'll try there this evening.

Offline schoolfisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1131 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:29 AM »
i also caught these white bass in chaut,are they good to eat ? If so how do you cook them?

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1132 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:38 AM »
i also caught these white bass in chaut,are they good to eat ? If so how do you cook them?
Eat them fresh only (do not freeze). Cut all of the red meat off the filets, pan fry them without breading, seasoned only, don't over cook.  The flavor is good, all of these steps are to insure they don't get mushy. White bass are better than white perch. IMO 
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline Postletown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1133 on: Feb 20, 2014, 03:14 PM »
I am glad the rain is melting the snow, but not too thrilled about the creeks rising and dumping into the lake.  Anyone else concerned about their spots on Chautauqua getting risky this weekend?
-Chris

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1134 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I think the shoreline will be the riskiest

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1135 on: Feb 20, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Took my son out at Mayville today for his first time this year. Using camera, we ended up with 4 slob craps and a dozen descent gills. Didn't find the large perch everybodies been talking about, but its a large bay to narrow down. Tried 9-10 ft, then 8-9 ft, and ended up in 7 ft and weeds. That's where the craps came from. Lost one more at the hole and saw 1 more on camera. Seem to be scattered throughout the weeds.

Offline Deadhead88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1136 on: Feb 20, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Looking to hit up Chautauqua maybe this weekend or next any pointers on where the decent perch r I don't mind dinks but where's the best place to walk out. How deep of water. I'm taking a buddy out for his first time so dinks r us is ok but if we could get a couple decent ones would be nice

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1137 on: Feb 20, 2014, 11:09 PM »
Try mayville, you can walk right out from the town park.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1138 on: Feb 21, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Surprised this is the first time the conditions board is locked this season..a lot of helpful info with way less bs than normal..goin to mayville Sunday..will post results here

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1139 on: Feb 21, 2014, 11:13 AM »
I will admit I prob made a few posts there that weren't reports or conditions..sorry if its my fault but hopefully it will be unlocked soon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.