New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413310 times)

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #1020 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:54 PM »
Took my 3 year old for her first ice fishing trip to mayville today from 9-12..nonstop action, def perfect for the kids but got some nice ones in the mix too...she had a blast!...

Offline Grapeman9825

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1021 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:55 PM »
was in Mayville from 430 till 6 yesterday.... couldnt keep the perch off my line,,,, didnt try for the gills but lots of fun!!!! be back out today and hope to get a night bite for Mr. Crappy

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1022 on: Jan 31, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I am heading down tomorrow. Since I am bringing my own bait could you tell me what the preferred bait is.

Thanks,
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1023 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:15 PM »
We used waxies and were gettin both perch and gills

Offline sweedish pimple

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1024 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:34 PM »
Took my 3 year old for her first ice fishing trip to mayville today from 9-12..nonstop action, def perfect for the kids but got some nice ones in the mix too...she had a blast!...

that is awesome and encouraging thats what you have to do get the kids on the fish and they are hooked for life. hoping the same happens tomorrow for my little boy

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1025 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:48 PM »
that is awesome and encouraging thats what you have to do get the kids on the fish and they are hooked for life. hoping the same happens tomorrow for my little boy
...I would def recomend mayville then because it was nonstop..I didn't even fish cuz I wanted her to have a good time

Offline sweedish pimple

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1026 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:50 PM »
...I would def recomend mayville then because it was nonstop..I didn't even fish cuz I wanted her to have a good time

is there a certain spot in mayville or anywhere in there is good

Offline trickin n killin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1027 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:57 PM »
is there a certain spot in mayville or anywhere in there is good
..pretty much anywhere would prob work but we were in 9-10 fow

Offline floatafly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1028 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:13 PM »
How was it pulling your gear out onto the lake.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1029 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:17 PM »

Nothing better than happy kids with fish pictures..... :clap: :clap:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline FraBilKil

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't call me Zorro when I'm ice fishing!
« Reply #1030 on: Jan 31, 2014, 09:04 PM »

Thought we'd attempt an early evening night bite. Fished small water Chautauqua Co. from 1630-2030 hours. I caught 28 crappie - 6 keepers plus 1 bonus 8.5" bluegill. The calico creeled were the Black species and averaged 9.5" in length. The Postmaster kept 4 crappie and was elected to clean them all, even though he has to work tomorrow and I'm off. He's a machine at fish cleaning & I'm definitely not. We thought hunters08 might join us? You didn't miss much as bite was slow and light. No wind and air temps 30°F warmer than our last time out made it much more tolerable. That combined w/ the Postmaster's specialty English Coffee made it for a great 'kickoff' to the weekend.
Practice Selective Harvest - Catch & Release to sustain our fisheries. 🔃

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1031 on: Feb 01, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I just see on the news that a a chick driving a sled went through a shanty last night in mayville. Be safe out there folks and watch out for others.

Offline hunterdeneugene

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1032 on: Feb 01, 2014, 01:32 PM »
you been doing anything as far as luck goes?  I am working this weekend.  I want to get out Friday.  Leave for Arkansas again Saturday.

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1033 on: Feb 01, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I just see on the news that a a chick driving a sled went through a shanty last night in mayville. Be safe out there folks and watch out for others.
Wrecks Ice Shanty, Narrowly Misses Three Men Fishing

February 1, 2014
By The Post-Journal

CHAUTAUQUA - Police believe alcohol played a role in an overnight snowmobiling accident on Chautauqua Lake that could have had more tragic results.

Around 1 a.m. Saturday, Chautauqua County Sheriff's deputies responded to a crash that occurred a short time earlier on the lake off of Lakeside Park in Mayville.

Police say Christina M. Black, 31, of Burghill, Ohio, was operating a 2006 Ski-Doo northbound about 200 yards from the shoreline when she struck an ice fishing shanty, narrowly missing three male subjects fishing a short distance away. The shanty, along with a significant amount of equipment was damaged or destroyed.

There were no injuries.

Following an investigation, Black was charged with snowmobiling while intoxicated, SWI with a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or greater and not operating at minimum speed within 100 feet of a person or an ice fishing shanty.

Black will answer the charges in Town of Chautauqua Court at a later date.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #1034 on: Feb 01, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Look me up when your free Denny. Ill pm you my #.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #1035 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Thought we'd attempt an early evening night bite. Fished small water Chautauqua Co. from 1630-2030 hours. I caught 28 crappie - 6 keepers plus 1 bonus 8.5" bluegill. The calico creeled were the Black species and averaged 9.5" in length. The Postmaster kept 4 crappie and was elected to clean them all, even though he has to work tomorrow and I'm off. He's a machine at fish cleaning & I'm definitely not. We thought hunters08 might join us? You didn't miss much as bite was slow and light. No wind and air temps 30°F warmer than our last time out made it much more tolerable. That combined w/ the Postmaster's specialty English Coffee made it for a great 'kickoff' to the weekend.
   Ended up going to Mayville till 945 only 4 keeper calico.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #1036 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Wrecks Ice Shanty, Narrowly Misses Three Men Fishing

February 1, 2014
By The Post-Journal

CHAUTAUQUA - Police believe alcohol played a role in an overnight snowmobiling accident on Chautauqua Lake that could have had more tragic results.

Around 1 a.m. Saturday, Chautauqua County Sheriff's deputies responded to a crash that occurred a short time earlier on the lake off of Lakeside Park in Mayville.

Police say Christina M. Black, 31, of Burghill, Ohio, was operating a 2006 Ski-Doo northbound about 200 yards from the shoreline when she struck an ice fishing shanty, narrowly missing three male subjects fishing a short distance away. The shanty, along with a significant amount of equipment was damaged or destroyed.

There were no injuries.

Following an investigation, Black was charged with snowmobiling while intoxicated, SWI with a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or greater and not operating at minimum speed within 100 feet of a person or an ice fishing shanty.

Black will answer the charges in Town of Chautauqua Court at a later date.

surprised this doesn't happen more often - had many close calls at mayville at night over the years .
might want to bring an extra lantern for outside the hut

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #1037 on: Feb 01, 2014, 05:54 PM »
I started hanging glow sticks on the outside of the hut to make it a little more visible....no reason for them to ride out near the huts anyway...go around us..

Offline navychief

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1038 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:35 AM »
I put reflective tape on my Clam, all four sides and big pieces.

Offline dml78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1039 on: Feb 02, 2014, 09:18 AM »
Clam makes flashing red warning lights that Clip on the outside of the hut. I use them on weekends when there is lots of sled traffic. Can be seen from 100 yards or so.

Offline fishin716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1040 on: Feb 02, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Went to mayville in the rain Saturday. Seemed the fish were moving around a lot. Tried drilling more holes but seemed to be the same. Lot of dink perch.

Offline Heregoesnothin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1041 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Anybody get a line on crappies this year? I tend not to bother with Chautauqua perch but the calicos would be a pleasant change.

Offline icenut_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1042 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:25 PM »
havnt found only a crappie here and there.is the lake a slushy mess right now?

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1043 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:23 AM »
Went to Mayville Saturday with Game Hog. The perch weren't big but I managed to get about 25 of them. Tip-downs with Turqouis and fluorecent orange jigs tipped with active minnows were the best thing for me. A silver small jig with a green plastic mite tipped with a active minnow worked for the gills.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline sweedish pimple

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1044 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:46 AM »
Took the kid down to mayville saturday for his first time out on the ice. He did awesome and was out on the ice all day. We found the fish and kept him interested all day. We managed some pretty nice perch and some pushing 1lb.

Offline rd9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1045 on: Feb 03, 2014, 02:58 PM »
If you want to catch calicos we do our best starting in march out of Mayville.   We start fishing about 4pm into the night. The half hr before dark until an hr after dark seems to be the best for us. Emerald shiner fished usually 3 to 4 ft down. A lot of times we get them on the drop with the minnow struggling. I have not caught a calico this year and have been out probably 6 times for panfish, but haven't stayed past dark.

Offline chuck1966

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1046 on: Feb 03, 2014, 03:46 PM »
u really catch crappie at mayville at night there.I was always told burtis bay

Offline chris steel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1047 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:23 PM »
SHOOOSH stop talking about it, more for me, Seriously yes there are lots of crappie in mayville just gotta put in your time some nights to find em.

Offline JHNMCGGH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1048 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:37 PM »
New to lake,  appreciate tackle/ bait locations for different sections of the lake. 
Thanks
John M

Offline chuck1966

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1049 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:04 PM »
thanks chris i will have to try one of these nights lol .private message me and i can put on some eyes .Been doing ok with them seeing alot on camera. Plus in the bucket lol good luck to u  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.