New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: **Chautauqua Lake BS**  (Read 413966 times)

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: **Chautauqua Lake BS**
« Reply #360 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:35 AM »
i'm not surprised. didnt believe it was 4" anyways. not with all that snow. don't understand why people gotta lie about conditions. lie about catching fish, not safety.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #361 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Thanks for that accurate report sidge69!

Offline catfish hunter09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:43 PM »
NO Go for chaut lake. im making the 3 hr drive out to oneida lake this weekend and if that isnt too good just guna head north...gota use the gear. long weekend good time for a vaca to the mountains

Offline rd9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #363 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Hey guys people are not lying there are areas you can fish safely for the past three days.   Did it myself. You just can't walk out every where. The best way to check the ice is to take a spud, friend and a life vest. The ice on the lake varies greatly always does. If you want to fish the lake this weekend you can, with a little bit of driving and knowledge. Shore ice scares many away. First ice is wonderful and most find out about it too late.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #364 on: Feb 06, 2013, 03:37 PM »
My friends are fishing parts of the lake which we deem safe, many may not. I will fish on 2" of ice even with snow on top, many will not and I do not blame them I spud every step . Just because there are people out there does not mean it is safe, I saw a guy fall in before the warm up and I bet this is the case for many of the folks who got wet, he did not once check the thickness, he saw us and assumed. I will be fishing on chatauqua lake tomorrow and will give the best report I can. BTW before the warm-up when there were many wet fisherman we were told by Hogans Hut the ice was safe in a few places I would not even have dared trying. I know it sucks coming from a distance , but this year you really need to look and decide for yourself what you consider safe. Meatball Burtis Bay is 4-6 fow weeds  spikes and waxies on your favorite jigs will catch fish, Happy Hooker a few miles up the Western Shore (394) Lakewood side is an excellent baitshop that is well stocked and should have all you need.

Offline shantymaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Feb 06, 2013, 04:46 PM »
Heavy snow coming in late tomorrow,not good for already iffy ice.To go out on the ice after several reports of people falling through is a very bad decision.All reports are different and continue to be inconsistent and unfortunately i think people are just posting BS to stir up more icemaniacs to post updates.This BS has to stop or someone will fall through the ice and may not be lucky enough to get out.So lets keep it real.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #366 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Heavy snow coming in late tomorrow,not good for already iffy ice.To go out on the ice after several reports of people falling through is a very bad decision.All reports are different and continue to be inconsistent and unfortunately i think people are just posting BS to stir up more icemaniacs to post updates.This BS has to stop or someone will fall through the ice and may not be lucky enough to get out.So lets keep it real.

The REAL fact is that lakes don't freeze like hockey rinks.  On most lakes in this region the early ice conditions are very "inconsistent".  There are places that people have been fishing for the last couple days.  There are other places no one in their right mind would try to get on.  All on one lake.  Like Marcus said, if you're careful and have the right equipment you can get out and fish.  Anyone who takes anything on this sight as gospel is an idiot.  You still have to use common sense and check the ice as you move around.  It doesn't hurt to make some real local friends who ice fish and will give you an honest report of the conditions.  I'm too bitter to make new friends but I am susceptible to bribery! 
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #367 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Those spud bars are priceless when the conditions are weird.  I miss 2008!!!!
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline seanile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #368 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:17 PM »
Has anyone checked out any areas of Chautauqua Lake ice conditions ?

Offline rd9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #369 on: Feb 09, 2013, 07:29 AM »
There are plenty of people off the north side of long point.  Some at Pendergast as of Thursday.

Offline gregacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #370 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:02 AM »
anybody getting out off long pt or dewittville

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #371 on: Feb 10, 2013, 10:32 AM »
I ask this every year and never get an answer but can someone pm my how the ice is off bemus point I do not know this lake well enough to go anywhere else and always do decent there

Offline pshootr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #372 on: Feb 10, 2013, 12:30 PM »
any of you guys try the deep water off of vikings or the bell tower?thanks if anyone cares to report on these areas.
GOD BLESS AMERICA.LETS GO FISHIN!!!!

Offline dukman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #373 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:11 PM »
No one off Bemus Point today, at least this morning.  Ice isn't great anywhere.

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #374 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Bumb.
Ice conditions?
Just another day on the ice!!!

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #375 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:48 AM »
Soon as the wind slows, I'll be out... Gonna try dewittville and MS
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Member N.E.W.C  Northeastern Walleye Circuit
Member of NAIFC "North American Ice Fishing Circuit" 2002 Pro-AM Qualifier                      
Member of W.I.F.L.  Wisconsin Ice Fishing League
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline nadr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #376 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Went off of Pentergast Sunday. Ice was shotty, 2" to 3" of ok ice under slush. Caught a few doz. grass perch. Guys around Long Point and Bath House. Was told no one was down near Mayville and saw no one at Bemus.

Offline kolyan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #377 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:21 PM »
hows snow situation on the ice?

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #378 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:36 AM »
any information on vikings or mayville are the fishing there ?

Offline JHNMCGGH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #379 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:01 AM »
 :icefish: :icefish:    derby on or off  rescheduled?

Offline jolie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #380 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:02 AM »
going over my notes temps and stuff... and it just hits me, what went wrong with the ice this year?

I mean, yeah I know snow and melts IS what went wrong this year.

but on the other hand.

isn't heavy lake effect snow happen every year (time) bitterly cold water comes over the lakes?  and I kind of recall that Many years have midwinter warm snaps.  its Not just an 00 thing.  back to the 80's; mid winter warm snaps were the bane of this kids sled riding adventures.

Several years back when I first started to ice fishing (08?),  I could barely drill through LP with over a foot of ice.  What did that year have that this year didn't??

would we be on barely drillable ice if we haven't had the big melt the jan 30th?
ice fishing;  I'm cold just thinking about it! lol

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #381 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:08 AM »
:icefish: :icefish:    derby on or off  rescheduled?

Canceled - Can't reschedule, as that would push the event into late March. So the next NYS IPA event for Chautauqua Lake will be next year.
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #382 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:15 AM »
A look at the NOAA stats as to whether or not Lake Erie was locked up with ice or was open.  When the lake is open we get more lake effect snow and the temps don't matter as much due to any ice formed will be covered by deep snow and rotted.  If Erie is frozen over then the existing ice on Chautauqua gets a chance to thicken clear ice giving us a safer and longer season.  No freeze Erie means no real season on Chautauqua.
If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #383 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Chautauqua needs a good 5 inches of black ice before BEFORE we get the heavy snows.   Otherwise the snow insulates the thin ice, and it doesn't thicken to a good solid safe base.
Man did not create the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself" CHEIF SEATTLE 1854
Some guys fish the lunar cycle, others fish the tidal cycle, I fish the Menstrual cycle.

Offline 8POINT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #384 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:11 PM »
does any body think the ice will be safe this wk end?

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #385 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Absolutely! Get out there. Great ice making weather tomorrow. I'd call happy hooker too and ask them. They love it.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #386 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:33 PM »
does any body think the ice will be safe this wk end?
depends on your definition of safe? friends are fishing right now, and for the first time since 2011 I am taking the kids out because I feel it is consistent enough, may not be too thick, but at least in the area I am fishing it is the same thickness throughout the area. My friends are saying the ice is about the same thickness as it was this past weekend minus the snow on top. Conditions are far from ideal, but good enough for me.

Offline 8POINT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #387 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:09 PM »
thanks for the help man. im going to take the trip down. hopefuly i can get on the ice for the first time this season. thanks again

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #388 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Well, it took to February 13th to lock up the Chaut. report page, happens every year.  Nobody ever learns...reports only!  Jeez
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Snafu

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • REHABS FOR QUITERS
« Reply #389 on: Feb 13, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Checking Toms Point in AM with Hanger, and Chautauqua Lake Eddy.  Only have till 9AM.  Buddy ad 1 sub par keeper at LP, today..  managed to feed a pack of Hungry coy dogs a pile of  perch.. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.