Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1961 times)

Offline BasscatJake

• IceShanty Rookie
New to the forum
« on: Nov 13, 2022, 09:56 AM »
Good Morning everyone! New here and figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Jake and I'm from Central IA. Primarily an open water bass angler but I got the ice fishing bug 2 years ago and haven't looked back! I spend a lot of time at Brushy and do a few trips to Clear Lake as well. I primarily target Crappie, Gills, and Perch but was never able to find them at Brushy last year.

On a side note, does anyone think we will have safe ice up around the Clear Lake area by Thanksgiving? The forecast has me hopeful with the lows getting to single digits by the end of this week.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2022, 10:00 AM »
Welcome to Iceshanty.
Modified the reply did not see that you were already in the Iowa section.....me bad.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2022, 10:05 AM »
Welcome...You should add your location to your profile>>>Forum Profile... county and state ..helps with your area weather conditions that you may experience as well as general inquires ...locations of retailers ...bait shops  .. audience participation is encouraged .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2022, 10:55 AM »
Welcome to the site..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2022, 10:58 AM »

Welcome to The site

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2022, 12:19 PM »
Welcome aboard BassCatJake! If you love ice fishing you're in the right place. Plenty here for everybody. Lots of discussion, opinions and useful information. BTW, as you poke around pay no mind to that guy from Alaska (jus' playin' Chris!). He apparently had a bad experience in Iowa and won't let it go. Or maybe that's where his bride hails from. You never know  ::) :roflmao:

Feel free to ask questions but DO try the search function first. Chances are very good there's already significant discussion on what you're seeking.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Welcome! Lots of good info, people, and fun on here...even those "Cheeseheads" next door can be pretty darned informational and fun at times!!   :woot: ;)2
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2022, 01:29 PM »
Welcome. Do not think there will be walkable ice on CL by Thanksgiving. Very rare but one never knows. Ice on small  ponds in the area by 🦃 day? Quite possible. Spud, spud, spud!

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2022, 01:40 PM »
Jake? Jake from State Farm? 😁 Sorry. Couldn’t resist

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2022, 06:18 PM »
So Jake... Inquiring minds need to know. What are you wearing BassCatJake??? Hmmmm?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Welcome! Doubt clear lake will have fish able ice by then. Might have to go further north.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2022, 12:25 PM »
BassCatJake,  Welcome greetings from South Eastern new York. enjoy this website and have a good 2022-23 ice fishing season in Central Iowa.
 Steve

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2022, 03:35 PM »
Welcome. Clear Lake Bait and Tackle would be a good resource. If you are on Facebook like and follow their page. They are constantly posting updates.

Offline Slabseek3r

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2022, 03:46 PM »
Welcome sir! I'm originally from Iowa, in SoDak for college, and if temps have been anywhere similar around clear lake to what they've been here, there's likely fishable ice, however Clear Lake Bait and Tackle would be your best bet to get updates
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine"
-Johnny Cash

Offline BasscatJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2022, 09:55 PM »
Welcome sir! I'm originally from Iowa, in SoDak for college, and if temps have been anywhere similar around clear lake to what they've been here, there's likely fishable ice, however Clear Lake Bait and Tackle would be your best bet to get updates

Well they've adjusted the forecast since I made this thread and upped the daytime temps 10-15 degrees so I'm going to say that it's a no go for safe ice this weekend up at Clear Lake.

I did find 3" of good hard ice at the Boone park pond this morning. Had 7 bites but 0 hookups. It was good getting out though and making sure my equipment works.

Went back out this evening and the 40 degree temps and sun weakend the ice a ton and had my spud bar going through 2-3" in 1 or 2 hits.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.