Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2019  (Read 63495 times)

Offline CheapHooker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2019
« Reply #180 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Anyone here jig for cusk or set traps overnight? Any luck?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #181 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Anyone here jig for cusk or set traps overnight? Any luck?

Sure...many stay over in their shacks and jig as well as set the cusk lines outside. You can put out up to six lines and there are specific rules as to how the cusk line is rigged. Your name and address has to be on them and you should mark the holes with something (many use a spruce branch sticking upright) the single hook must be no more than 6” from your weight which must be over one ounce. I think that’s how it works...check the NH REGULATIONS to be sure.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #182 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:54 PM »
So now the big question...are you a cheap hooker or do you just like them?  ;D ;D ;)

OMG mowbizz! Your too funny man! Good one.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #183 on: Feb 02, 2019, 03:02 AM »
It's ready at last! Spent most of yesterday putting the finishing touches on the bob house, errands and readying the wheeler. Be headed out shortly to get it on the ice. 
Hope the bite is on.
Tight lines.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #184 on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:01 AM »
It's ready at last! Spent most of yesterday putting the finishing touches on the bob house, errands and readying the wheeler. Be headed out shortly to get it on the ice. 
Hope the bite is on.
Tight lines.

3:02am! We’re sleeping in a bit but will be out a little later...congrats on the new house! Give a holler on the radio if you need any help Dragin.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #185 on: Feb 02, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Came out late-ish around 9:30 and proceeded to set up on our “honey hole”  ;D  drilled the house holes then a camera hole as we were down to just one camera due to my aggressiveness with the chisel cutting the cable on mine....well, setting up the one cam I’m asking Shobizz for a depth and picture so I can adjust and an says “blue screen” oh wait there it is then no picture again...**censored**
I start checking the cable and damned if I didn’t nick this one too. Crap.
You could make and break the connection by fiddling with the wire so I decided to pack it up as it should be fixable and we would jig blind...
So we jigged blind through the morning and a guy named Kevin searched me out and asked for help moving his house which was by the Wellington shore. He tried yanking it with his wheeler but couldn’t budge it except a few inches. He spoke to me in the parking lot earlier and I said I’d help him if he needed it. Off to help Kevin and he hooked the Argo up to his house and I put it in low and gave a few gentle tugs to see how bad it was. Moved it a few inches so I gave another harder tug and was spinning my tracks so I stopped backed up and said “one more shot” and on the last tug she broke free and I towed it to the end of the Wellington park peninsula where he wanted it. No problems and he was very grateful for the help.
 Then back to my house and started pepper steaks on the grill for lunch with some foofoo fancy Indian garlic bread...pretty good! After lunch back to jigging and Shobizz and I thought we felt some “bumps” to our bucktails...hmmm, encouraging! So I started really trying to feel what was going on down there and I felt another bump and gave it the heave-ho...
I was hooked to a “heavy” fish! We’ll come to find out when
It came to the hole, I had snagged the belly...ok not such a heavy fish but a decent 19” laker. Uneventful rest of the afternoon and we packed it in at 4pm. My first blind-jigging-laker. Cool!  ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #186 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:56 PM »
2/2

Not much room at the parking lot this morning so parked in the beach parking lot. Not plowed out.

Propane auger started hard but finally got it going after letting it warm up a bit.

Lost one right off the bat but then eventually managed to yank one up.
CH and my youngest grandson came out today. Good day, cold but no wind.
CH showed our grandson how to catch one.
Flew the drone a bit.

Dragon stopped over for a visit, made his way back on the lake.

While switching over to cusk finding gear, i got a hell of a hit. While i was bringing it up, there seemed to be a fair amount of weight, thinking it was a large cusk but it was fighting pretty good.
Got the head up through the hole and realized it was a decent Laker. Jumped down to the floor, grabbed the gill plate then quickly pulled him up into the house.
Then I tried to get up and couldn’t. Tweaked my back diving to the floor for it and yanking it up outta the hole into the house.
31” Laker.

CH and Logan

Last laker of the day.

One of the 2 cusk.

Cold morning but no wind.

Always hungry

First one of the day.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #187 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:36 PM »
Dragin hope you had a good first trip in your new shanty.
Mowbizz sorry to read about your camera troubles. Good work helping to free another circus member's shanty.
Jiggin may you have not done anything serious to your back landing the big laker. Thank you for the photos your grandson looks like he had a fun day with grandpa and grandma.

Steve

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Feb 02, 2019, 09:54 PM »
2/2

Not much room at the parking lot this morning so parked in the beach parking lot. Not plowed out.

Propane auger started hard but finally got it going after letting it warm up a bit.

Lost one right off the bat but then eventually managed to yank one up.
CH and my youngest grandson came out today. Good day, cold but no wind.
CH showed our grandson how to catch one.
Flew the drone a bit.

Dragon stopped over for a visit, made his way back on the lake.

While switching over to cusk finding gear, i got a hell of a hit. While i was bringing it up, there seemed to be a fair amount of weight, thinking it was a large cusk but it was fighting pretty good.
Got the head up through the hole and realized it was a decent Laker. Jumped down to the floor, grabbed the gill plate then quickly pulled him up into the house.
Then I tried to get up and couldn’t. Tweaked my back diving to the floor for it and yanking it up outta the hole into the house.
31” Laker.

CH and Logan

Last laker of the day.

One of the 2 cusk.

Cold morning but no wind.

Always hungry

First one of the day.

Looks like a great day for all.  Nice fish

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #189 on: Feb 03, 2019, 03:22 AM »
Well after a hard start we made it to the ice with the new house. We left the house at 0500 but I couldn't make the hill.(All ice) Got the truck and trailer jack-knifed. Unhitched the trailer and hand pulled around and down the hill. L T had run back to the house for sand. When he got back he dug out the tired sanded and we managed to get out. Hooked up again and headed for the lake. Dropped the trailer at Wellington and headed home for the wheeler. Returnred, hooked the trailer to the bob house and off we went.

Stopped to talk with Mowbiz in the parking lot; lining up a rescue team incase I got stuck. Got the normal reply Sure just give a holler. Circus Folks. go figure. Made it to my spot and Toad and L T started looking for the sweet spot. Found and started unloading the shanty. Wouldn't you know it, yup house froze to the trailer. Got it frrd up and on the ice. Got her jacked up and started fishing. Not bad; it was only 1130.

Made lunch and started organizing. Started wondering if the sweet spot was't so sweet when a desent laker started poking around. Watched him for almost an hour. He was interesred but won't take the bait and left. Then another on came in like a rocket and I was able to set the hook. Nothing big, but the first one in the new house. Took a ride to visit. Saw Jiggin and CH and company. Ran down to see Tippin's and Lakertaker new cribs and visit; both pretty sweet guys. Didn;t make it over to Mows yet, afraid he'd get the chisel out and nick my brake cable. :o

Got back and set up for cusk. Toadie pulled up one. Saw several more, then it was time to pack it in. Got home ate dinner and crashed. Heading back out in about an hour. Ah, circus life!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #190 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Well after a hard start we made it to the ice with the new house. We left the house at 0500 but I couldn't make the hill.(All ice) Got the truck and trailer jack-knifed. Unhitched the trailer and hand pulled around and down the hill. L T had run back to the house for sand. When he got back he dug out the tired sanded and we managed to get out. Hooked up again and headed for the lake. Dropped the trailer at Wellington and headed home for the wheeler. Returnred, hooked the trailer to the bob house and off we went.

Stopped to talk with Mowbiz in the parking lot; lining up a rescue team incase I got stuck. Got the normal reply Sure just give a holler. Circus Folks. go figure. Made it to my spot and Toad and L T started looking for the sweet spot. Found and started unloading the shanty. Wouldn't you know it, yup house froze to the trailer. Got it frrd up and on the ice. Got her jacked up and started fishing. Not bad; it was only 1130.

Made lunch and started organizing. Started wondering if the sweet spot was't so sweet when a desent laker started poking around. Watched him for almost an hour. He was interesred but won't take the bait and left. Then another on came in like a rocket and I was able to set the hook. Nothing big, but the first one in the new house. Took a ride to visit. Saw Jiggin and CH and company. Ran down to see Tippin's and Lakertaker new cribs and visit; both pretty sweet guys. Didn;t make it over to Mows yet, afraid he'd get the chisel out and nick my brake cable. :o

Got back and set up for cusk. Toadie pulled up one. Saw several more, then it was time to pack it in. Got home ate dinner and crashed. Heading back out in about an hour. Ah, circus life!

Haha! Yeah I’m hell with a chisel lately!
Good job getting back out there! Stop by any time...I’m going to chisels anonymous tonight...
Jiggin that’s a hell of a way to end the day nice laker!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #191 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:40 AM »
J, Nice lake trout !

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:56 AM »
Who uploads the newfound circus videos on YouTube? I just watched a few today those are badass vids

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:21 AM »
Who uploads the newfound circus videos on YouTube? I just watched a few today those are badass vids

That would be Jiggin... ;D

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:19 PM »
That would be Jiggin... ;D

Looks like a hell of a time out there. Some pretty sweet set ups

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #195 on: Feb 04, 2019, 05:46 AM »

31” Laker.

CH and Logan

Last laker of the day.

Great catch - not a typical cookie cutter Newfound Laker.... as you know - big ones are in there!

Good  luck with the back and way to get the next generation of circus performers started at a young age.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #196 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Got an update from Marcum and they’re saying my cam should be fixed by early next week... :'(

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #197 on: Feb 05, 2019, 03:28 PM »
At least you heard from them.... hope the other repair is holding up and gets you through the weekend.

Those pucks that keep the holes open (there is another thread on them) might be worth having for the camera cable holes.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #198 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:09 PM »
At least you heard from them.... hope the other repair is holding up and gets you through the weekend.

Those pucks that keep the holes open (there is another thread on them) might be worth having for the camera cable holes.
Thanks! Yes the splice is good and I’m using FlexSeal liquid rubber to restore the watertight-ness. Trouble is this stuff is messy as hell and takes 24-48 hours to cure.
As soon as it cures I can use the cam again.
I’ll look into the “pucks” thx!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #199 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:20 PM »
Good luck Mow. Been in the industry not an easy fix splicing those low voltage wires.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Feb 05, 2019, 05:57 PM »
Good luck Mow. Been in the industry not an easy fix splicing those low voltage wires.

Thanks! Yes they are small but I believe I have good solder connections. Time will tell!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #201 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:32 PM »
2/5/19

Took a ride on the lake tonight with Laker Taker and Tippin.

The ice has some water on it ~ 1" - 2" and some slush (left over snow) in spots here and there. There is more water around the houses due to the weight. Some holes are swirling but nothing i saw was terrible. With the low temps tonight, I think the water will freeze up some. The holes that are open are probably doing the house a favor, draining the water. All 3 holes at my house were open (2 under the house and one outside for the camera). The 2 holes under my house had a frozen snow cone keeping the water around my house from going down my holes. The outside camera hole was "leaking" out due to the wind. I filled all 3 holes with snow from the north side of my house to keep the wind from churning the water in the holes. Then i cut a 4.5" hole on the south side of my house to help drain the water back into the lake.

See what this weeks weather brings

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Its nice to have that 4.5" drill when you own a hardside for stuff like that I'll bet.

We have some warm and rain on Friday after some wet snow Thursday, I hope it doesn't make a mess for you guys.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #203 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Thanks for the report Jiggin!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #204 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Well Marcum is charging me for a new camera/cable. $230 plus the $50 service charge to just "diagnose" the problem. Hmmm a cut wire needs a diagnosis? Oh well, they have you over a barrel. Get the vaseline out and make it hurt as little as possible!  :P :o :'(
Hard to believe a company that sells ELECTRONICS cant splice a few wires...I guess I should be happy that they didn't need to send it back to China for a fix...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #205 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:16 AM »
Well Marcum is charging me for a new camera/cable. $230 plus the $50 service charge to just "diagnose" the problem. Hmmm a cut wire needs a diagnosis? Oh well, they have you over a barrel. Get the vaseline out and make it hurt as little as possible!  :P :o :'(
Hard to believe a company that sells ELECTRONICS cant splice a few wires...I guess I should be happy that they didn't need to send it back to China for a fix...
You would think, that there is some type of splice available,  I'm sure you are not the first or the last to do it,can you thread the new one through a piece of PVC pipe before connecting it to.protect it..or use a piece of foam pipe insulation.like they said, they got you by the short hairs.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #206 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Damn... 230 from a damaged camera cable? My underwater camera was only 160 for the entire setup with a 7" screen... I'm guessing made in somewhere even sketchier than China but has worked great all season so far.
At least you were able to repair one of them yourself.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Feb 06, 2019, 11:49 AM »

Geez, Mow, that is one expensive Chisel accident.  Sorry to hear this news.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #208 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:14 PM »
You would think, that there is some type of splice available,  I'm sure you are not the first or the last to do it,can you thread the new one through a piece of PVC pipe before connecting it to.protect it..or use a piece of foam pipe insulation.like they said, they got you by the short hairs.
Yes, Jiggin said he uses some PVC for his...I'll go check out his system next time I see him out there...I'm am going to be super careful from now on for sure (and rig some kind of protection for the cable.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #209 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:17 PM »
Damn... 230 from a damaged camera cable? My underwater camera was only 160 for the entire setup with a 7" screen... I'm guessing made in somewhere even sketchier than China but has worked great all season so far.
At least you were able to repair one of them yourself.

Yes, the trouble is they do not splice. The only way out through Marcum is to have them attach a whole new camera and cable to your unit's circuit board. Yes I have repaired the 2nd one and the rubber sealant is curing now. So we'll be back in the swing soon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.