Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2019  (Read 63491 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2019
« Reply #120 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:42 PM »
I hear you on that. Just told my wife I needed to go take a nap. Lol
More snow/rain Tuesday into Wednesday. Joy!!!!!☹️😡

Captain thanks for the invite will help you anytime you need help with the house. You guys did a great job on it the Dark Side Gods are proud. Will have better fishing next time.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #121 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Captain thanks for the invite will help you anytime you need help with the house. You guys did a great job on it the Dark Side Gods are proud. Will have better fishing next time.
Eddie caught another laker after you left and another one today. He was on fire 🔥! Told me his arms were tired from bringing them in. Lol! Thanks again for the help! You’re always welcome.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:57 PM »
I hear you on that. Just told my wife I needed to go take a nap. Lol
More snow/rain Tuesday into Wednesday. Joy!!!!!☹️😡

Naps are our savior!  ;)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Eddie caught another laker after you left and another one today. He was on fire 🔥! Told me his arms were tired from bringing them in. Lol! Thanks again for the help! You’re always welcome.

He was so proud of that first one he caught I can only imagine after those two. Watch out Laker Taker Eddie Spaghetti is going for the gold.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #124 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Mow, you need to learn to nap between bites. ;D

Worked on the new house this weekend. She's ready to fish; not perfect yet, but fishable. Be on the ice next Sat, weather permitting. Can't wait to get under the Big Top again.

Till then be sate and tight lines everyone!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:17 PM »
He was so proud of that first one he caught I can only imagine after those two. Watch out Laker Taker Eddie Spaghetti is going for the gold.

At least I broke him from ripping the hook out! 😉🍺

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:26 PM »
Mow, you need to learn to nap between bites. ;D

Worked on the new house this weekend. She's ready to fish; not perfect yet, but fishable. Be on the ice next Sat, weather permitting. Can't wait to get under the Big Top again.

Till then be sate and tight lines everyone!

I have definitely nodded off on slow days... ;D

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:58 PM »
The boy and I,  made our way over to the circus today for the first time this year. Fished it hard but no takers today.  Good walking conditions ,with your favorite creepers a must. I always forget how beautiful the sunrise is there.  Anyway, great folks all around us, had a blast hopefully will be back soon. Thanks for having us...

Tight Lines!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:15 PM »
At least I broke him from ripping the hook out! 😉🍺

But will he remember?  ???

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:21 PM »
The boy and I,  made our way over to the circus today for the first time this year. Fished it hard but no takers today.  Good walking conditions ,with your favorite creepers a must. I always forget how beautiful the sunrise is there.  Anyway, great folks all around us, had a blast hopefully will be back soon. Thanks for having us...

Tight Lines!

Glad you and your boy made it to the big top. Sunrises and sunsets are spectacular.

But will he remember?  ???

Of course not!🎣

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #130 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Capt  Did you build the frame and sled for the shanty or did Jason?   Either way great job

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Capt  Did you build the frame and sled for the shanty or did Jason?   Either way great job

Thanks Art. Had a friend weld the base and we built the rest. It was a lot of fun. Took a few man hours but worth it!

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #132 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:51 PM »
Nice job.  I retire in October so I'll have time to build one and keep an eye on it. putting it on ,off and blocking it up ect. Looking for ideas thanks

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #133 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:04 PM »
1/27

After taking yesterday off, I went out to check on the house figuring it would be a good time to bump off my sag, It was.

After I moved, Chopping out my jack up blocks was simple, top 4-5" was frozen and water under that. Got them all back..

Didn't see much today on the camera, had one come in and we did the dance, missed him 3x's till he finally went away.

Overcast and snowed big flakes almost giving a white out condition. Awesome and hated to leave. One day of fishing in a week isn't enough but it was a tough week on the ice.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Nice job.  I retire in October so I'll have time to build one and keep an eye on it. putting it on ,off and blocking it up ect. Looking for ideas thanks
Definitely takes a lot of time to build and then maintain. Don’t be afraid to ask people questions. Most who have built their own will freely give ideas. Check out other people’s houses when you’re visiting. When you do start let me know and I might be able to point you in the right direction for materials.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Jan 27, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Very nice job on the house, Capt.  :thumbsup:
It's obvious you put the time, thought and effort in, but the satisfaction and enjoyment with it will be well worth it!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:56 AM »
Very nice job on the house, Capt.  :thumbsup:
It's obvious you put the time, thought and effort in, but the satisfaction and enjoyment with it will be well worth it!

Thanks CD. We had a 4X8 and went to a 6X8. The extra 2 feet made a huge difference in comfort inside. In the old house 3 was doable but crowded. In the new 4 people fit nicely. We can sit 4 for a card game lol. My wife complained that I was spending too much time on the build. I told her it would be worse once we put it out. 😎😃

Offline Jig60389

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:11 PM »
Any ice reports for the north west part of the lake where the brook comes out? Thanks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:23 PM »
Any ice reports for the north west part of the lake where the brook comes out? Thanks.

Sorry don’t get up that way but judging on how the broads locked up there should be fishable ice...maybe try the Hebron FD or PD for info?

Offline Jig60389

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Sorry don’t get up that way but judging on how the broads locked up there should be fishable ice...maybe try the Hebron FD or PD for info?

Thanks. going to try and get on some perch for the kid and wife.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #140 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:28 PM »
I think I had The Whole lake to myself today, seemed like it anyway...no radio chatter, light wind, I even turned off the f.m. Radio just to enjoy it all.
I put the camera down on new spot, and saw I was on a pile of rocks so had to bump house further north inbetween laker taker, and jiggin....started off slow,but had a flurry of action and was able to pull up Three ....nice relaxing day, got to try new eyoyo camera, and also got to see fish and game practice with the propeller boat for most of the day !!

ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Nice! We’ll be out tomorrow before the storm...

Offline kevymac75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #142 on: Jan 29, 2019, 10:13 AM »
I hope to see everyone out on the ice this year! What kind of ice thicknesses are you guys measuring out on newfound currently?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:14 PM »
I hope to see everyone out on the ice this year! What kind of ice thicknesses are you guys measuring out on newfound currently?

Didn’t measure but roughly a foot or so off of Wellington.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Jan 29, 2019, 02:38 PM »
The good the bad and the ugly revisited...

First off, I brought a portable 12v compressor to top up my Argo tires so I decided to take a few minutes in the Wellington parking lot before going out. The tires, when using tracks,  have to be filled to a specific poundage being front and middle tires 5 lbs each and the rears 6lbs.
Well my low pressure tire gauge stopped working making it difficult to see but I did determine the tires were lower than 5 lbs so I aired them up guessing at the poundage. Okay, not so bad... at least there’s more air in them than before.
My wife walked out to the bobhouse while I was messing with tires and loading my gear. She couldn’t open the shack door (frozen shut)
She gave it a yank and ripped the rubber seal off the bottom...okay not a bad problem. Fixable...so let’s get the heat going and set up to fish!
Drilled holes for us and a friend who came out to fish (no auger and nursing a work related broken vertebrae)
Now the brass fitting to the propane tank was frozen...got that thawed and got heat started. Set the cameras and got my sucker cut up and we were finally fishing! Within a few minutes the camera panners were frozen and wouldn’t pan...okay back outside to adjust the cams to a decent position by hand. Yay! Sent down two chum pot loads and now we’re really fishing and the lakers start showing up...good deal!
Shobizz nabs an 18” laker and hauls it up! Great start!
A little while later a pig (I estimate 7-8 lbs) laker swings by and mouths some chum then leaves...it comes back and attacks my bucktail and I set the hook! Wow, this is the real thing as he is fighting me all the way and running and taking out line! I caught a flash of him going by the hole and yikes it’s big! A few minutes of fighting and he wraps my camera cable and gets off. Crap.
Had to go out and let out more camera cable so I could pull it up Into the hole and unhook the jig. Okay...some excitement today so I hurried and reset my bait and sent it back down.
A little dejected at the loss of the big laker so I decided to cook some breakfast...sausage patties and cheddar on flaky biscuits...yum!
To be continued... have to get a fire going in the wood stove...

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Good Bad Ugly continued...

Breakfast was a hit now to resume fishing...the lakers were cooperating and constantly on both cameras. While our friend was inside warming up a couple of lakers were cruising and one looked like it had some shoulders...he immediately picked up my jig and the hook was set.
I had visions of a camera cable wrap again and was trying to horse this one a bit and not let him run like he wanted to. Got him to the bottom of the hole and the damn hole was frozen and my line got pinched in the ice ...oh no! I stopped pulling him in and tried to get a wooden jig stick down the hole to break the ice up while not damaging the line...then I get his head in the hole and he get him to floor level and he flops so much he comes off the hook! Back down the hole but he gets stuck sideways in my bucket liner...my friend jumps to the floor and gets his hands on it then brings it up only to have it flop out of his grip! He lunges back down the hole and gets the laker to slide onto the ice under the house. Whew! Got him! An above average laker and I think my personal best on Newfound!
The rest of the day watching lakers eat chum but not commit...and our friend gets a small one on his tip up which he released.
I decided to go outside and move my camera so I could see my jig better...hole frozen over hard so I grabbed the big Mille Lacs chisel to loosen the ice and accidentally cut my camera cable...my wife hollers out hey! You have a blue screen! Crap. Check the cable and sure enough it is damaged. Hopefully I can splice it.
All in all a good day though and exactly why we keep going!

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #146 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:24 PM »
How much chum is in a chum pot load?

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #147 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:42 PM »
nice job and nice laker sounds like an eventful afternoon.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:25 PM »
How much chum is in a chum pot load?

Same as how much wood a woodchuck can chuck!  ;D

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Jan 29, 2019, 04:28 PM »
This laker was LOADED...never saw a belly so packed with small smelt and some larger shiners.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.