Author Topic: Fake worms for bass?  (Read 1027 times)

#1perchguy

Fake worms for bass?
« on: Jan 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »
i was wondering if a fake worm would work for jigging up large mouth bass? they hammer them in the summer so why wouldn't they in the winter? i would probably wacky rig the worm(hook in the middle of the worm), that way it can flutter down to the bottom? i would like some advice on the subject, thanks

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fake worms for bass?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:31 PM »
I keep telling myself to try this but never do I figure a small senko type bait wacky rigged should getem going and I also bet a drop shot small plastic should work really well.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:04 PM »
I had this same idea last season and dropped a wacky rigged senko down and watched it on my camera for a while. It had good action but I never had anything come in on it. As soon as I switched back to the forage minnow I had action. So I haven't tried it since, But I would like to try it again and see a bass or pickerel take it on the cam.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:54 PM »
I prefer a real worm.  First of all, they are cheaper than plastic ones.  Even still cheaper if I pick them myself.  I've never had good luck with artificial baits.....especially the plastic ones.  When using a flutter spoon or spinner, I get better results with no bait.

The best bait in the whole world is a live Northern Red Belly Dace but where I live, we are not allowed to use minnows.  When I lived in Ontario, it only took 10 or 15 minutes to catch a dozen Northern Red Belly Dace with a minnow trap.  They were called "mud minnows" by the locals but that name was a poor choice for such a beautiful hardy minnow that didn't seem to have scales.

I remember just hooking them under the skin just behind the dorsal fin with a size 8 high quality hook and casting them out on 4 lb mono.  Nothing else was on the line.  I often had to flick my forefinger on their heads to make them dizzy and trout would race up from deep water to hit them as they fluttered around near or on the surface.  Sometimes I could see in the crystal clear water over a dozen big brookies racing each other from the depths to seize the minnow and then run off with it.

For the first few years after arriving to the part of Quebec where I live now, we were allowed to use live red bellied dace for fishing in Lac St-Jean for ouananiche (landlocked salmon).  My technique of a dizzy minnow on light line was fantastic. 

Offline evert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:40 AM »
I have not had much luck with plastic worms on the ice.. soft plastic minnows were better 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.