Author Topic: Fish "movin' through"  (Read 1868 times)

Offline llcoolnel

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Fish "movin' through"
« on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:41 AM »
Question:  My shack is located on a spot that is 24' deep.  I'm definately not sold on the spot, but there is no question that the fish move through where I'm sitting, especially about an hour before dusk.  They come through at about 10-12 feet.

Yesterday the Vex lit up like a X-Mas tree as the fish moved through, was quiet for a bit and then lit up again.  This went on for about an hour.  What I'm wondering is if fish tend to continuing "moving through" to feed, or if I'm in a good spot simply because they do move through the area.  Do fish have a "destination" when it's feeding time and tend to hang in an area for feeding vs simply moving through?

Thanks

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
Re:Fish "movin' through"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:00 AM »
There is something to be said in relation to how fish relate to structure (weeds, rocks, drop offs) but over looked sometimes is the area which looks deprived of any fish. I really got a look first hand when we got our Aqua-Vu a few years back. We still place tip-ups next to, in structure, but always place a few in an area which consists of nothing but sand. Fish do move, to feed and for other reasons. Some of the biggest pike and tigers I've caught through the ice have been in locations far from where others were placing theirs. People would say there is nothing out there, just 30 feet of water. Then When I pull up a 15#er compared to their hammer handles they get the picture. Nothing wrong with spreading them out. Place a few next to the structure but always leave a few in open water.

missfishylicious

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:03 AM »
depends on the kind of fish but in general I think they have there favorite feeding areas always seem to catch walleye in about the same place every night there looking for hideing bait fish in most cases and don't like the bright light of day so they spend the day in deeper water who knows for sure but thats my educated guess :)

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 09:05 AM »
if the fish are moving thru, i would say, stay put. but what really matters is: are these coarse unwanted fish or what you really hope to catch ???

Offline swalleyi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:08 AM »
I'm thinking these are some sort of bait fish that are coming through.You would think if they were crappies one of them would bite.
Repeat after me:   I'm a man, i can change, if i have to, i guess.

DipLip

« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2004, 11:13 AM »
Couldn't have said it better than MuskieMatt.

And that goes for open-water, too.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2004, 04:53 AM »
the big perch are schooling up with schools & there allmost always moveing  but just out of reach  from your fish finder  ok the big perch of the school is usally allways on the botter allmost rubbing the bottem & or top of the school   hope that helped you

Steve
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline xulgiy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:11 AM »
I almost bet that what your seeing is plankton.  Did the whole screen fill with fine green lines right before dark???  if so, I bet that is what your seeing.  To compare...take a hand full of finely crushed egg shells and drop them in the hole...same result????  I get this all the time on big clear lakes I fish.  

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:28 PM »
all are good points ive seen the plankton on my screen when fishing and catching crappie at night ive seen baitfish move through   i had this problem on a lake just a couple of weeks ago the fish would move through maybe take a look see but wouldnt bite i think these fish were moving through to a better feeding area on a sharp point  drop off or where there were a good amount of food   though we moved around fished shallow/deep/ on the drop off and found nothing it still makes me believe that we just didnt find where the fish were feeding
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

thefishinfrenzy

« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:25 AM »
I beleve that you are piking up zzoplankton on the vexi.Ussualy on hour or so before dark the planktoon rise and as sensitive as the vexi is it will pick it up.Try turning the gain down and down size you jig and see  what happens. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.