Author Topic: Your 5 most annoying tackle problems?  (Read 7912 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re:Your 5 most annoying tackle problems?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Y'all got me crackin up! ;D

I got a couple more for ya...

You spend 10 minutes tying on a tiny Marmooska 16 jig with that tiny hook eye with 2 pound test that barely fits through the eye while your nearly frost bitten hands are barely working and, while attempting to cut the tag end you accidentally cut the lure off your line...DOH!

You bring a newbie out on the ice and they don't own cleats and you only have one pair, so you loan them on.  When you go to cut your first hole with a hand auger, you have no traction so it looks like you're doin' the Chubby Checker twist action.  Takes forever to cut a hole that way.  By the way, I'm curious, if you are on slick ice, no snow that is, and use a gas auger without wearing cleats, does it want to spin you around the shaft??? ;D  That would make for a funny bloopers video! ;D

After dragging your sled 1/2 a mile or more you look back and you've noticed that you've dropped half of the ice gear that you own and it's strewn all along the path that you've taken all the way back to the shoreline...

The rope attached to your sled is frozen solid in the ice.

I'm going to start a similar thread about bait problems. I think that would be funny too.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

yamahahaha

« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2003, 12:59 PM »
and i thought i was the only mr. magoo on hard water. how about selecting a new jig filling the hook with spikes and dropping it into the hole, then realizing you never tied it on! :P :o ??? :'(

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #32 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:16 PM »
Fat Boy, i hate to bug you ( I Surpassed my problem limit) but that cutting your lure off like you mentioned happened to me a few times.
But i had one worse than that at night. Burned off a jig on the lantern, then i retied the jig. Everything was cool till i dropped the jig down the hole. I tied it too a 3 foot piece of cut line on the shanty floor, kerploop down it went. Duh :-[

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Dec 24, 2003, 07:49 PM »
Crappieloo I have done the exact same thing!  :-[

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:06 AM »
 :( my 5 pet peeves  is #1  being out in shanty & have to put lures on as I cant seam  to see the whole  to put the line in
 #2   haveing the wind blow my hole flaps shut  

#3 haveing to have  zipper unzipped to   let some air in shappel so I dont  smother  of t5he  propane  that lanturn is on  But I do allways have it unzipped  on top

#4  haveing to take down my shappel shanty in the wind !!

#5   haveing my drag set to loose on my reel so not to lose a fish on 2# line   I wont lose it if I have fireline ice

thanks hope I helped somone
 :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

aka Billy the Kid

« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:06 AM »
I've done just about everything, everyone has mentioned, a couple that you guys forgot were,,
these are actually "bait" problems,,,, setting that little container of spikes on the ice,, instead of in your bucket and watch the wind blow away all your spikes. Or if its not windy, you think,,no biggie, I'll just set them down on the ice,,, then you hook into a yellow belly and go to re-bait and the spikes are under your BOOT. ::)

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #36 on: Jan 07, 2004, 11:31 AM »
Many, many of the above.  Also similar to Fat Boy's instead of being smart and carring the minnow bucket, it gets left on the sled and voila, by the time you notice it is missing the little buggers are dead and frozen.  Or, it's getting close to lunch time, and the conversation turns to food.  All of the sudden one guy decides to go check his tipups that he just  checked 10 minutes ago.  You guessed it ... it was his turn to bring lunch.  The current lack of ice!  Fortunately winter has finally found central NY.  We should be out this weekend.  
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

hole digger

« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2004, 11:45 AM »
1) dumping all my jigs on the ice
2) forgetting about it and finding all my hooks snap off from the rust ( especially hair jigs )
3) telling my fishing partner for the ten millionth time not to leave his jig reeled up to the end of the rod and hitch it in the handle.
4) removing the jig from my coat after #3
5) can't drill anymore holes because my auger is iced up. I drink lots of coffee so de-icing the auger is a wiz.

Offline Steady_Eddie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2004, 12:00 PM »
1) Finding the end of the low vis line on the ice after the jig breaks.
2) Tying on another jig in the wind.
3) Skimmers that don't float but fit down the hole.
4) Line breaks on a sharp edge of the hole.  Only seems to happen
   when a big fish is on.
5) Wind powered shanty.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2004, 12:40 PM »
1. Not having the tackle organized and have to search all over for the right gear.

2. Not being able to drive on the ice and have to walk. ;) ;)

3. Running out of the hot chocholate mix.

4. Wind.........stupid &*#@$ wind!!

5. Not having enough toys.

Mudbug

« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:10 PM »
when the fish aren't biting. we play ice football. the most annoying tackle problem is when you get blind sided and snow get jammed in your long johns or up your shirt.

Offline docbas

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:22 PM »
#1. No ice, soon to be remedied.
#2. Setting up Clam 6800 in the wind.
#3. Getting Clam set up, getting inside, and then speed trolling the top of the ice.
#4. Stopping speed trolling adventure, and finding out that the bucket of minnows was in the way, as well as your tackle box, lunch box, and your best warm dry gloves.
#5. Recovering from 2-4 and having your wife drive to the lake to tell you that you need to go to work.

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHH!

Who cares, there's new ice forming, and I'll be fishing this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2004, 01:35 PM »
My most anoying piece of equipment it that damn vexilar.  

Come on!  I see you down there!  Don't just look at the freak'n thing, eat it!  No, wait, where the hell you going!   Get back here and bite you stink'n little fish!

I swear some days I go through 10' of line cutting off jigs and tying on different ones to see if I can figure out what the buggers want.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Trashman

« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Only one thing I can add.  Falling asleep in your portable and waking up halfway across the lake after a brief wind storm. ???  Great lists guys ;D

Trashman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.