Author Topic: Jigging technique for perch  (Read 2162 times)

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging technique for perch
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 10:22 AM »
I'll use a small swedish pimple silver or gold with single hook tipped with wax worm, or meele worm, or piece of shiner.  Standard fare, right? BUT my problem is attacting / getting bites - I think.  A number of times, I found a school when useing traps - but when I tried quickly switching to a jig NOTHING; then I put a minnow back down, and blam! one flag after another.

I try to drop the jig to the target zone by matching the location of my minnow on trap, and still, not much action.............. ???
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
Re:Jigging technique for perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 10:37 AM »
Try a piece of minnow head or tail on the hook off the pimple, or use a small tear drop jig with grubs seems to work here in NY "Good Luck" keep us posted :) :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Fishinfreak

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2003, 11:29 AM »
Try the small jigging rap in perch color ;)

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2003, 01:15 PM »
 I'd agree if the perch are biteing on minnows and not your jig. I would switch to a jig that looked like a minnow. Like the Rapals or likewise. Or a little prism tape.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2003, 01:31 PM »
just like the other guys said try using a lure or jig that looks like bait you are using.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 04:03 PM »
If you are getting flags and they are just hitting then dropping(I'm assuming since you are switching to jigging)try super small (size 20-22)
trebles without setting  flag watch pin to see if moving slightly,if so take em. They have a tendency to nip and drop and if your there you have the opportunity to get them if you are quick. The main reason I usually run tip-ups is I get a little better of a spread on the schools that pass thru. Set flags so light if you look at em too hard theygo off!Also ,jig tip-ups often as you will get more flags! The smallest jig you have with lively fathead or minnow should do the trick.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:44 PM »
Pause the bait after jigging, thats usally the trigger! sometime pause for 30 second maybe even more. Swedish pimples do well for me for some Jumbo sized fatso perch. I used a piece of minnow instead of the whole thing. Most prefer the head, Ive done better with the tail end oddly.

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2003, 11:38 PM »
All good suggestions!  I really think it is the presentation where I'm going wrong  -- too much movement, not enough, something like that.....I'll try to incorporate many of these suggestions! Thx!  :) :) :)
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:56 AM »
One good thing to remember is that what was working yesterday may not work today.What the fish want in a jigging motion( or lack thereof) may even change hourly. I know one lake where you may get one or two perch right away but will not get another until you change jig style or color. This procedure has to repeated every couple of fish.
Pete Lewis

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:56 AM »
Try Anything...Try Everything...deepen your bag of tricks.

Be observant...sometimes something you do by accident will trigger the bite.

Move Move Move!!! The "honey Hole" could be 10' in any direction. Could be 1/4 mile away as well.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:34 AM »
Try banging the Pimple on the bottom raise it up a little and hold it their for a few seconds then slowley lift your rod up to about 2ft and hold if no hits lower ot bottom and repeat. Stay with the minnow head or peices. If you are useing a vex. you will see the fish raise with Pimple as you lift it. Now you got their attention.
Cold Feet

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2004, 07:16 AM »
 :) :)for me  it would be if I stayed  up all nite on computer & drank coffee & go out ice fishing so you will be jigging  that perch jig as you try to  hold it still  the perch love this   as the bait is allways moveing  & if I had a vex.... I would be pulling them out  wammer -jammer   hope i helped you

Steve  :'(
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.