The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for ice  (Read 6508 times)

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for ice
« on: Dec 29, 2023, 08:32 AM »
Any ice in NE Pa?  Not even a hint of it in Ct or R.I. Hope it isn't going to be another bad year.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Looking for ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2023, 10:33 AM »
You and everyone else in most of the US is desperate for some safe ice. We all feel your pain, with the exception of those lucky Canadians and some guys in MT, ID, CO. The Adirondacks and MN, to name a couple of usually reliable December ice fishing meccas, are without ice right now. That is all you need to know to understand how bad it is right now, and don't waste your time thinking that there is a sliver of ice to be found in the states that you inquired about.

If your passport is valid, you should drive or fly to Quebec and contact FreshwaterPhil to do some ice fishing.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2024, 03:08 PM »
I guess I'm just looking for that little glimmer of hope for some fishing this season, in my old stomping grounds of Ne Pa.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2024, 03:23 PM »
only ice is at the bottom of my glass. And that's melting quickly.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2024, 09:00 AM »
Looking like we might not get on the ice until late Jan this year. If so, that’s the latest for FIRST ICE that I can remember!  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Gfetch3914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:34 AM »
We have had ice since right before the 14in of snow we got last weekend here in pike county. It's still there and temps are dropping big time this weekend. I think it has begun!

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:08 PM »
I heard there is about an inch of slushy ice on Fiddle Lake. Anyone have any info on Prompton and Lake Alden/Long Pond. Looks like another ice free season here in R.I. and Ct. I always try to fish Prompton in February every year. Last year was outstanding in mid Feb. But got too warm and was only able to fish 4 days of a 10 day trip in the area. Lets hope for the best.

Offline Gfetch3914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2024, 06:31 PM »
I'm in Pike county and we have about 2inches of ice since the 4th prior to the snow storm. We got 12+ inches of snow the 6th and then 4 inches of rain but the lakes held and kept their ice. With the Temps in the teens starting tomorrow we will be ice fishing by next weekend.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:39 AM »
Yep! Lakes were still capped yesterday even though temps hit 50 in the morning. We’ll be fishing by next weekend! I’m thinking I may even take Wednesday or Thursday off.  ;)

Where's the FISH?!

Offline cajuntony

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2024, 06:59 AM »
Well with whats going on outside I think we are well on our way to hardwater activities but please remember to be safe and  tight lines

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2024, 09:43 AM »
I checked Promised Land this morning and left a report on the reports page. There's ice, just nothing to walk on but we will be making ice this week so fingers crossed. I'll try and get up there before next weekend.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2024, 03:12 PM »
Just heard that Long Pond / Alden is covered, obviously not safe. Waiting to hear on Prompton.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2024, 08:00 AM »
Anyone get out on safe ice in NEPA this week?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:49 PM »
Found some this morning! Fished Merli Sarnoski and then checked Promised land(Snow Shanty) Both are fishable.

Check the REPORTS page for details.

I won’t mention any names, but I got stood up this morning. And I was really looking forward to some sausage sammiches............. .....  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2024, 03:06 PM »
Found some this morning! Fished Merli Sarnoski and then checked Promised land(Snow Shanty) Both are fishable.

Check the REPORTS page for details.

I won’t mention any names, but I got stood up this morning. And I was really looking forward to some sausage sammiches............. .....  ;) ;D
Thanks.  Just out of curiosity, how many guys were fishing?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:01 PM »
I got there at first light and I was the only one until 10:30. One guy pulled in and was fishing when I left at 11:30.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:16 PM »
I got there at first light and I was the only one until 10:30. One guy pulled in and was fishing when I left at 11:30.
Ok, thanks.  I might give it a try.  Haven’t been there in years.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2024, 05:44 PM »
Good luck! It was slow today and I heard it was slow Sunday and Monday, so hopefully it will pick up tomorrow.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline 570IcEHoLE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:21 PM »
Sounds great hoping to get out this weekend and check out some spots!

Offline purplelab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2024, 07:11 PM »
Belmont has 5" and probaby more by the weekend.

Offline Studslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:36 PM »
We got some ice now in sc pa and I know of some other areas around the state. Sadly it will all be gone by next weekend with all of the rain and high temps projected. The ice will be good till around Tuesday morning I would assume.

Offline Phillies78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2024, 08:38 AM »
I checked Pinchot this morning. There's about 3-3.5 inches off the main boat launch. No sign of anybody else on the ice.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:00 PM »
Hey guys! FINALLY! stepped foot on water this weekend, first time in 2 years in Ct. Saturday brutal cold no bites. Sunday did better, but it was good getting out there on the ice. Heading back home to Ne. Pa. on Thursday, cant wait. Nothing like fishing back home. Saw on the post that Belmont looks good, heard rumors that they dropped the water level, is that true? Anyway, is anyone fishing Prompton, my favorite lake, been fishing there before they put the boat launch in. (showing my age). If anyone knows fill me in. Thanks.

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2024, 12:54 PM »
Just got back to R.I. after a quick trip to Ne Pa. Got there Thursday morning. Visited family and friends so I didn't get on the ice till around 3:00. Staying at a friends house lake Alden.  5 inches but I would say only good 4. Just jigged up a couple of bluegills, fished till dark. Talked to some friends and they fished Upper Woods and did good, 5 inches. Friday checked Prompton looked really not good, didn't even try to get on. Back to Alden did really good, 9 smallmouth, 6 largemouth, 7 pickerel and about a dozen bluegills. Saturday fished Alden again. 5 Smallmouth 1 largemouth, 5 pickerel, and a nice mess of bluegills, with a nice crappie to top it off. By then there was only 3 inches, but I got some time in. Looking to head back in mid February, Also I'm a catch and release guy.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for the report onlyhrdwtr.

Is Alden open to the public or is this a private lake?

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:12 PM »
Alden has a state side where it is public, I'm lucky enough to get on the private side. There was 3 guys off the boat launch, didn't know how they made out. But they sounded like they were doing good too.

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:27 PM »
I think Alden lake is also known as Long Pond

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:34 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation.

Is the entire lake accessible to the public if accessed from the public side or is it separated into public and private sections?

Offline onlyhrdwtr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2024, 04:20 AM »
Anyone can fish if they use the boat launch in the public side, Good luck fishing, tight lines and dry boots!

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2024, 07:38 AM »
Thank you very much! This is really helpful.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.