Author Topic: Cusk Trap Ideas  (Read 14324 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Cusk Trap Ideas
« on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:45 PM »
I figured with everyone that potentially is headed up to the outing might need some ideas for cusk traps.

Here is a drawing of some antique traps my father has and I use from time to time. In the drawing, the finger should be angled up instead of down so when the cusk hits, it trips the mechanism and the strike indicator is in the upright position.  The trip mechanism is nothing more than a door latch with some sort of a line catch in the middle to hold it centered over the hole.

Description of the antique traps from another thread:

"They are a 3/8 dowel with 8" cut off the very end. The person then reattatched the two pieces with a coil spring that is about 6" long and the dowels could fit inside.  He then made a trip mechanism that can be described as a "hook and eye", the same as we use to keep our doors shut while inside our shacks. There is a bend in the hook part almost out to the very end that the line gets draped over. When cusk hits, it pulls a minimal amount of line, just enough to "trip" the indicator and that is all."

The extension cord traps are my everyday cusk traps.

Please post pics of your traps so others can have some ideas.

Thanks,

Ben

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cusk Trap Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:50 PM »
DD, Are you back in NH? if so I don't think we can have slack line on a cusk rig.the line to the tripper may be looked at as slack by the fish cops.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:56 PM »
my understanding is its to be a dead line to the bottom ?
no trip, no flag, sinker must rest on bottom  ???

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:08 PM »
We will be back in NH on the 1st of the year.

On the line question: I have been checked using the antique traps of my father's and have not had any issues.  The sinker does rest on the botttom with a tight line to the trip mechanism. At the very most, the cusk my get 1' of line.

Page 12 2009 NH Freshwater Digest

Cusk fishing device: A device for storing line in a manner which is not free-running and is securely attached to the device and to which is attached a sinker, weighing at least one ounce, not more than
6 inches above, and independent of, an attached single hook for bait. The weight must rest on the bottom of the lake.

The way it reads states "free running" and "securely attached." It does not say anything about "slack" in the line. The antique traps have been checked by wardens and I got the "a-ok" and some compliments.  I believe free running refers to the spools on tip ups.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Works for me ,I just would not want to get in a pi$$ing match over a cusk, only been checked once on Sunapee along time ago.looks like a pretty good set up though.BB

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Your absolutely fine and correct DD. Slack is ok as your sinker needs to be sure it rests on bottom. I've never had a problem with a little slack.

JIGGIN.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Anyone Know if you can use more than one sinker to make an ounce ???
i cant seem too find any around here.
i tried too order some from Janns netcraft last night and for some reason they wont ship them here.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:02 PM »
You should be fine as long as there is at least an ounce and the hook is only 6" away from the weights.  There are a few people who use multiple weights for the same reason.  Technically, sinkers over 1oz can be lead, but try finding a non-lead sinker that is exactly an ounce.  It's not easy, I have yet to find any.

I will be looking for lead weights that exceed an 1 ounce this year.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Here's my set-up.....

I run the line/spool through the hole in the cone, tie off to the 1 oz sinker and attach the hook/bait.  I let the weight hit the bottom then tie off the line to a large washer so it does not move. (Later I can un-tie it/adjust if I move to another hole/depth) Last, I add an insulator cover to the bottom to stop the hole from freezing solid. 

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:17 PM »
I will be looking for lead weights that exceed an 1 ounce this year.

AJ's in Merdedith, Wildlife in Manchester (Sometimes) Merrimac Bait in Merrimac Ma

I have gotten the 1 oz weights at the shops above...AJ's is your best bet, they're usually 3 for a $dollar I think.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2008, 06:59 PM »
Anyone Know if you can use more than one sinker to make an ounce ???
i cant seem too find any around here.
i tried too order some from Janns netcraft last night and for some reason they wont ship them here.

Dicks or Walmart have 1.5 ounce bank sinkers.BB

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Thank you guys, i will check those places out.

james

Offline Thunder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2008, 08:34 AM »
I've never had a warden pull one of my lines but I did ask that question through e-mail a couple years ago and the reply I got was that it had to be ONE SINGLE 1 oz sinker. If you read the definition again it says "a sinker" so I think that is where the response was coming from.

At the end of the day I think it would depend on the warden and how you had it setup.... i.e. are they tied together?
bite it.... bite it....

Offline Patsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2008, 07:11 AM »
I just want to bump this so I can find it when I get home.  I took a couple pic's of the ones I bought at the fish and game expo...will post later

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:13 PM »
I have a few old / antique traps that someone in the family gave to me. I was kind of wondering what these were used for. I just assumed they were a self designed, self setting rig based on materials at hand. I actually use a few once in a while when we have multiple kids with us. We've caught Perch and a brown Bullhead on them.

I'll post a picture tonight. 

Offline WetlinesNCocktails

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaaaaaaaaag!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:33 PM »
Cool.  I like the antique trap you described.  Good drawing too.   On another note, I do like things that stick up off the ice, and that can be easily seen.  Wouldn't want those pesky sleds to run them over at night.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."   - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Ziffle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:25 PM »
I'm sure allot folks on this site have probably seen this set up. I think it's kind of clever. A brass weight rides the flag stick/rod. It keeps the flag down until the line is pulled. Fish takes the line and pulls the rod. The weight follows and up goes the flag. The two spikes keep the trap from sliding.

Looking at it now, you could actually put a spool on it.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:23 AM »
thats rather niftey ,you could not use it for cusk if you placed a spool on it though.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:35 AM »
ziffle, around here that would last about 2 seconds before the copper theives grabs your rigs, they are nice though . ;D

james

Offline Donger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Ok Folks, after 3 days on and off of suffering trying to upload photos here are my cusk traps (thanks to photobucket).  Last year my friend purchased traps that worked, basically 1 X 3 X 20" with "v" notches at each end and line wound between them.  Many were either run over by sleds or simply lost due to blowing snow.  Plan on painting the top end (where the cork is) flourescent orange and currently thinking out a flag mechanism. 

The paper on the top end is covering my address information and is normally not there.

Will be replacing the 1 oz egg weights with the fixed trolling sinkers.  Was pressed for time when I made them last winter.

Have a good one,

C
Boats and Hoes

Offline Patsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:15 PM »

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
im 14 and wanna make some of these how do i make em???

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2011, 05:36 PM »
im 14 and wanna make some of these how do i make em???

Cam,
You do realize for cusk, you generally put the traps in and let them sit overnight and then check them the next morning? You are supposed to check them everyhour, but they are used at night....durinng the day I dont think you will get any action.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:36 PM »
This is the reason why this site is so great.
Ideas, Ideas, Ideas.
DD is on to something with the indicator.  Thanks for the drawing.
NHTF has a great setup.
You two now have me thinking on how to add DD idea to a NHTF setup.
Nice to know as you approach your lines if you may have something on.  Trivial, but nice.

This is my first year with cusk lines.  I've not used yet.  I've not been able to scramble together back to back fishing days this winter yet.
But, a few more years and the kids will be away at college and we'll live on Newfound full time.
Be able to fish quite a bit next week, as school vacation.  Time to give this a try.

Again, thanks for sharing.

NB

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:40 PM »
smells like fish. it says in the nh book that u can only cheack em once in 24 housrs. yeah ill be stayin 2 days and set em up the night before i start fishing and have them in the watrer for two days. btw hat type of bait do u use

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:47 PM »
No 'ONLY'  but must every 24 hours.  Some will monitor through the night, but yeah.  Set em up one day and check em the next.

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:49 PM »
what type of bait do u use.

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Sucker meat

Offline quantumreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:57 PM »
so u put tipup line on a piece of wood witha 6in leader and a 2/0 hook with sucker meat on the bottom? i finally get it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.