The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: End of Season  (Read 930 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
End of Season
« on: Apr 06, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I got out one last time today, on Burnett's Pond in Savoy, from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM.

When I arrived, it was overcast, with temps in the upper 30's.

There was about an inch and a half of snow on the ground on the way down to the Pond, and a similar amount of slush on top of nearly 2 feet of ice on the Pond itself.

There was one other fisherman there, named Warren, who was jigging for bait, He had a gas powered auger and was kind enough to cut a few holes for me ("Thanks, Warren"), before leaving about a half hour or so later.

The rest of the day, I had the place to myself, apart from the ravens and my radio (although I did see a mini copter fly over at one point and then 2 otherl helicopters passed over later in the day)..

I set up my usual mix of gear - - some tip ups, a dead stick and a jigging rod.

The day gradually cleared up and warmed up into the mid to upper 40's (although it didn't necessarily feel that way because the wind picked up too) and the slush melted off the top of the ice.

I cooked and ate lunch - - beef stew, eggs with cheese, home-made hash, a Wachusetts Green Monstah IPA, a plum, and a pot of coffee - - and read some of my historical novel (The Lion and the Lamb by John Henry Clay).

Over the course of the day, I caught about two dozen fish.

About 1/3 of the total were perch, caught almost entirely on the jigging rod, with the one exception (on a tip up) also being the biggest at 9".

The other 2/3 were pickerel, caught primarily on tip ups, with the three largest maxxing out at 19".

Offline MR WOZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: End of Season
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2019, 07:27 PM »
Another great post!

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2019, 12:55 PM »
good season sir! way to keep the mass boards flowing with new content. Ill be honest, hoping santa will get you a damn camera one of these years. lol jk

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2019, 02:46 PM »
always good reading, thank you ;D

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Good eats. Always. Like it. Once again thanks for your reports.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.