The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: any info on cass lake ? or lakes by pontiac  (Read 1697 times)

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
any info on cass lake ? or lakes by pontiac
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:55 PM »
any info would be great . thanks

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
Re: any info on cass lake ? or lakes by pontiac
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:59 PM »
cass is a mess as of saturday.  a lot of slush everywhere.  shouldn't be bad at all sunday with these cold temps starting tonight.  i might try it tommorrow, cousin lives on one of those bays.  if it's not ready to go, then pontiac lake here i come.  i am going to call kd outdoors in the morning and see if they know about ice conditions.  kd seems like they don't know anything about ice conditions.  a few years back a couple guys called kd's and asked for ice conditions and kd said it was fine.  guys went out and fell through the ice, and now kd doesn't say too much about the ice conditions.  i asked they the other day and they said they have seen people out there!  i was ok.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:15 AM »
do you do any good out on thoughs lakes ? what ya catch ? where going to try the guts of park 4 thats where ive been told to go

Offline Fishbomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:10 PM »
I used to set tip ups in the channel leading out from the Guts to the main lake. The Clinton River flows through there on the west side so don't get to far over that way. We usually caught a couple good sized northerns there but snowmobile traffic on weekends will shut the fish down. Panfished up farther in the Guts but I never had much luck with fish of good size. Haven't been over there in years. Good luck.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:16 PM »
cass is a mess as of saturday.  a lot of slush everywhere.  shouldn't be bad at all sunday with these cold temps starting tonight.  i might try it tommorrow, cousin lives on one of those bays.  if it's not ready to go, then pontiac lake here i come.  i am going to call kd outdoors in the morning and see if they know about ice conditions.  kd seems like they don't know anything about ice conditions.  a few years back a couple guys called kd's and asked for ice conditions and kd said it was fine.  guys went out and fell through the ice, and now kd doesn't say too much about the ice conditions.  i asked they the other day and they said they have seen people out there!  i was ok.

All KD will say is "I've seen people out there, but that doesnt mean its safe." I understand why they do this from a liabilty standpoint. Whatever, you gotta support the local buisness or you'll end up getting stuck shopping at bass pro!!!

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:11 PM »
went to cass lake today and ice was 7-8 inches thick at every spot i drilled.  we had 5 inches of the good solid stuff, and about 2-3 inches of refrozen stuff.  ice felt really good and solid.

Offline HoytMentzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Any Fish?

Offline Fishbomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:14 AM »
DJ, did you get out on the main lake at all or stay in the Guts? Thanks

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:09 AM »
actually i fished coles bay.  didn't get anything, it was too windy couldn't even use my shelter.  did marked a lot fish, though.  i stayed in and around 26 feet.  that bay is deep.  i took about about 15 steps towards the middle of the bay and it was 30 feet.  after i got home i checked the map of the lake and it goes down to 90 feet in that bay.  i might give it a honest try this saturday.  maybe around 3:00pm until 8:00pm.  only fished it for about 15-20 minutes before my hands where froze.  boy i missed using my shanty.

Offline HoytMentzer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Better luck next time.  I am going to get out there sometime this week.  I will give a report on how I do.

Offline Fishbomb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:40 AM »
I'm going to try to get out there too. I will be trying the main lake for walleyes.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Better luck next time.  I am going to get out there sometime this week.  I will give a report on how I do.

yeah just give me a pm on how you did out there.  i am really looking to get my hands dirty with the walleye this weekend.  i am going to fish for walleye the rest of this winter.  i have been concentrating on panfish and crappie, switching gears starting this weekend!

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:18 AM »
yeah just give me a pm on how you did out there.  i am really looking to get my hands dirty with the walleye this weekend.  i am going to fish for walleye the rest of this winter.  i have been concentrating on panfish and crappie, switching gears starting this weekend!

ditto that.  Walleye excursion for me this saturday night.  But my hands are filthy with walleye slime.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.