Author Topic: More $$$ actually mean more results?  (Read 1972 times)

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
More $$$ actually mean more results?
« on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:01 AM »
I was in Scheels this weekend again and was looking at the Strikemaster augers.  I started thinking, when it comes to hand augers going on a drill, is it worth it to spend more money on one (ie, the Nero vs Eskimo)?  I have been thinking of the Eskimo considering it is $50, but is it really worth it to spend more money on a "better" hand auger??

I am planning to put a 7 or 8" on my Ridgid hammer drill (most likely with a clam plate).

There are a TON of threads about this vs that, but wondering if spending more money is better.  Not specifically comparing the two, looking in general if I were to go with a Lazer vs Eskimo, if that makes sense......

I am looking at build quality more than anything, as I am not too concerned with speed considering I will be using a 9ah battery as well.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: More $$$ actually mean more results?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:31 AM »
Sometimes spending more money is just that, spending more. What you're looking for, of course, is value. I have some Lazer hand augers in my bone pile. They're not junk by any means but they were pretty easy to grow out of. Those Eskimos look similar in value, sort of a starter auger. If you've got the drill already and have your eye on a Clam plate, I believe I'd spend the thirty bucks upgrade for the Nero hand auger. The Russian stuff tends to be sort of blue collar and Tonka tough which is what I require since I don't baby my equipment. I also have more faith in Russian blade steel than in the Chinese equivalent.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Although I am a Nero guy, I really think the Eskimo and Mora Augers would be great on a drill. Not the Silvertip or the Lazer's but the flat blade augers. They are easy to sharpen yourself as well. I bought the Nero 7" last year and am in love with it but wanted a 6" to use. I bought the Nero 6" without the Adapter since I already had it and the extension. If you buy the Eskimo or Mora, I would think you need the adapter and the extension as well. SO would you really save money buying all 3 or just a one time deal on the Nero? 
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:56 AM »
with strike master it was always about where the blades were made. we all wanted the Swedish blades, but they switched over to Chinese blades. the preferred blades hold there edge better so saves in the long run not replacing blades as often. so if you skimp or not pay attention up front it will get you in the end. some sent theirs out for sharpening and got the junk blades sent back.

i have no idea where any of the other blades are made, but would agree with fingers if nero is Russian made blades.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2018, 12:28 PM »
If you are going powered I would look at something with ripper style blades. They don't dull nearly as fast and can reopen old holes.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Good thread! I have a K-Drill 6 inch one of the most spendier augers out there. It works great does not bind at the end of a hole. It does however feel IMO that it is really working the drill. It worked good otherwise and I like it. Is it worth the $ not sure yes and no. Ended up buying a clam plate for it which is nice and opens possibilities up for other augers. Just bought a 7 inch Mora because most everyone on here swears by them. I'm also waiting to get the new Eskimo pistol bit auger about $160 spendy yes, it has been pointed out to me that a cheap Mora will work the same? Don't know yet it is lighter but still spendy but don't we always look for something better than the last one? Sometimes buying and trying new things is what keeps some of us in this sport. I know Lefty on here love his Nero and my first time without the Clam plate it about took my arm off now with a Clam plate it may be great another avenue to look at. Agronomist likes the Mora style the best. It all comes down to what works for you I don't believe anyone is rolling in the dough that I know of but I would never keep $200 bucks keep me away from what I thought would make fishing better more enjoyable for me. You will get alot of advice on here and I have learned a lot. I've asked so many questions about augers on here I'm afraid to even ask anymore. Bottom line the phrase you get what you paid for normally always comes true not always but usually.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2018, 01:06 PM »
The blade style all depends on if your looking for speed, least wear on the drill, local ice conditions, the ability to open old holes and if you need to overlap multiple holes. The money spent on brand A vs brand B can be more specifically evaluated once you figure what style of auger you need.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2018, 04:11 PM »
So if I were to go with the ripper blades, would it be easier to use just my drill and handle rather than going with the the Clam plate?  I would prefer to skip the plate for now and see how things go.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2018, 04:13 PM »
So if I were to go with the ripper blades, would it be easier to use just my drill and handle rather than going with the the Clam plate?  I would prefer to skip the plate for now and see how things go.
Depends on what size auger your using. 7" is max I would go with out a clam plate.
<===Lefty===

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2018, 04:30 PM »

the piece of mind for whatever the price of the clam plate is is well worth it.  go with the clamp plate and don't look back.  i can run my ridgid with a 7" lazer all day long without the plate and have no problems but my kids, buddies, and dad all like to drill holes too and with the clam plate it is a lot easier for them.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:37 PM »
Last season I ran a Milwaukee Fuel over an 8" Lazermag with the ripper teeth. First tried it with the drill handle and a Kovac adaptor and it would sure cut ice but it also beat the tar out me whenever it stuck or at breakthrough. Had to put it in a bear hug to keep it from breaking my wrist. Wised up and got the Clam plate and everything suddenly got manageable. They're very much worth the money.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2018, 07:25 PM »
If you saw the pictures of my jig boxes, I like spending money. I use my old lazer 6" with the clam plate. It's probably at least 15 years old and I don't have any issues. I don't get the ice you lucky guys out in northwest get. I don't push down on the handles so no problem with jamming when it breaks through.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2018, 11:26 PM »
I was in Scheels this weekend again and was looking at the Strikemaster augers.  I started thinking, when it comes to hand augers going on a drill, is it worth it to spend more money on one (ie, the Nero vs Eskimo)?  I have been thinking of the Eskimo considering it is $50, but is it really worth it to spend more money on a "better" hand auger??

I am planning to put a 7 or 8" on my Ridgid hammer drill (most likely with a clam plate).

There are a TON of threads about this vs that, but wondering if spending more money is better.  Not specifically comparing the two, looking in general if I were to go with a Lazer vs Eskimo, if that makes sense......

I am looking at build quality more than anything, as I am not too concerned with speed considering I will be using a 9ah battery as well.

Well....you will get plenty of replies. In my opinion not really worth the extra money. I've ran a lot of different augers and tried quite a few. Once you put a hand auger on a power drill, they all cut pretty nice.

Do yourself a favor. Go with the 7in red Eskimo flat blade. It is actually a pretty versitale platform to do different things off of. If you want an 8in flat blade you can just put on 8in flat blades. If you get a wild hair later.....you can get the kit off of eBay and turn it into a 7 or 8in lazer later depending on the blade size you get.

I bought and played with one....then picked up a nils new on a cabelas sale for $125 and sold the Eskimo to my friend. Every auger I've owned has performed well and worked fine....mora, lazer, nils, jiffy chipper.......in the end it's just cutting a hole in the ice no need to spend more then the $50 to do the job. A $50 flat blade is way cheaper to maintain also.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12:38 PM »

Well....you will get plenty of replies. In my opinion not really worth the extra money. I've ran a lot of different augers and tried quite a few. Once you put a hand auger on a power drill, they all cut pretty nice.

Do yourself a favor. Go with the 7in red Eskimo flat blade. It is actually a pretty versitale platform to do different things off of. If you want an 8in flat blade you can just put on 8in flat blades. If you get a wild hair later.....you can get the kit off of eBay and turn it into a 7 or 8in lazer later depending on the blade size you get.

I bought and played with one....then picked up a nils new on a cabelas sale for $125 and sold the Eskimo to my friend. Every auger I've owned has performed well and worked fine....mora, lazer, nils, jiffy chipper.......in the end it's just cutting a hole in the ice no need to spend more then the $50 to do the job. A $50 flat blade is way cheaper to maintain also.

So pulled the trigger on a clam plate and going to put the standard Eskimo 7" hand auger on it.  I am 6,2.  Am I going to need an extension on it?  If so, will the clam extension work on the eskimo auger?

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Yes the Clam extension will work for the Eskimo and Mora augers. I would get it I'm 5.4 short and I got the extension to low for me. Enjoy, that should be a nice set up

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Yes the Clam extension will work for the Eskimo and Mora augers. I would get it I'm 5.4 short and I got the extension to low for me. Enjoy, that should be a nice set up

Is this the one?

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/16-inch-auger-extension.html

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2018, 01:59 PM »
That is the one sir, You can usually get them about 15 bucks at the stores

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2018, 04:09 PM »
Is this the one?

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/augers/16-inch-auger-extension.html

Yep that's what you want so you can adjust the height. It works better then the strikemaster hand auger extention. You should be able to find them for around $15.00

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2018, 04:11 PM »
Yep that's what you want so you can adjust the height. It works better then the strikemaster hand auger extention. You should be able to find them for around $15.00

Need to go pick up my clam plate from Scheels tonight so hopefully they have one there.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
OK, certain tools make life easier. That means you stick with it more. Other tools are game changers: side finding locators are one for me. Open water right now but will apply to ice. You can still catch fish "old school" but technology can be your friend and it is not free.

Do what you do and be the best you can be. Add as you are able...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 10:30 AM »
FYI I just bought the 7" Eskimo from Scheels and they price matched Sportsman's guide Buyer's club price with the 20% discount.  Picking it up today for $38.73 out the door.  Crazy good price on this.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Oct 22, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I buy gear not because it's new, but because it makes my life on the ice simpler and gives me more comfort. Key to this is shopping smart and waiting for deals if you need to.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2018, 11:24 AM »
as with anything there is a law of diminishing returns that you have to apply to situations.   and that point is different for every individual as well as every fishing situation. 

as i target mostly panfish in 4-20' of water 95% of the time its different for the guy who targets lakers in 200' of water 95% of the time.

for me there does come a point where spending more money does not result in better success. 

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2018, 12:50 PM »
I'm at a point in my life where I've acquired most everything I'll ever need to enjoy my time on the ice. For instance, I have many ice rods and boxes of tungsten jigs that I'll never use due to simply having too much.
I've begun shifting my focus from breadth to depth in terms of becoming really good  at maximizing the potential and utility of the equipment that I currently own. A side benefit is that I'm not spending as much on ice gear which frees up money for other hobbies!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.