Author Topic: Marcum or Vexilar  (Read 5761 times)

Offline tarmstrong24

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't see that from your couch!
Re: Marcum or Vexilar
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:55 PM »
I've never used any electronics when fishing. Is a flasher that much better than a LCD type fish finder? Some have flashers and have narrow cone's built in and get used on ice. I don't got a lot of cash for $1500 flashers but one I could use on ice and on the boat I could see getting. Anybody recomend any cheap lcd's that work good for ice?

check out the lowrance ice machine, you can get them in different assortments, make sure you get one with chart plotting and you can get a transducer for the open water.  I have the elite 5 chirp and love it

Offline njg0621

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:14 AM »
I really don't know how anyone can argue that currently the marcum takes it. I have the lx6 and love it. I've owned a vex fl20 and a 24. My dad owns a hummingbird 55. I have used every make and model and the lx6 lx7 wins.

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:21 AM »
I would strongly recommend you do a search on issues with each unit.  After years of being on ice shanty I have noticed very few posts about issues with Vexilars.  Bottom line is they are bullet proof.  Both my buddy and I have traded in our marcums in the past year for an fl28.  He traded in the lx 7 and traded a lx5i.  I frankly was not impressed with the lx5i. 

good luck

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #33 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:26 AM »
I switched from the marcum lx5 to the vex flx28 now looking to get rid of the lx5 to get another flx28 for the wife.that 28 is by far the best finder iv seen in action.

Offline Gadway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Well I was sold on the Marcum LX-5 liked the zoom, case and not having that Vexilar float.  However all my friends have the vexilars. Had to deal with a bouncing bottom for the 1st 2 months I had it because I didn't want to send it back for servicing in the middle of the season. Send it back after the season and they send me a new unit because the motor was bad. Well been out about 5 times this year guess what- bottom is bouncing again, some of the LED lights have seem to disappeared and when it was new I can detect a 4mm tungsten down to 40 feet with about a 2.5 gain now I have to crank it up to 4 to get the same exact jig to appear. Read the FAQ on the website, and it lists all of those problems as a possible motor problem. So it needs to go back again!! Worst thing is having to listen to my 3 jerk friends who I fish with who have Vexilars say a million times a day-- you should have bought a Vex.. I hope that helps.   Shawn

Offline mikey ice fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 23, 2016, 09:22 AM »
Vexilar

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #36 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:28 PM »
Well here's my 2 cents, I had the Vex FL8, FL8SLT, FL20, and currently have the FLX28 I had a Marcum LX5 I didn't like it so went with the 28 and I wished that I never sold the 20 for the LX5 so that's why I went with the 28 all the Vexilar units are fantastic.

Offline SnojetDerek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2016, 12:28 PM »
I recently won a Marcum troller up to tupper AKA simon pond derby, used it yesterday on 4th lake for lake trout and smelt, It worked perfectly. List price for this unit was around $220. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it got the job done. Zoom feature worked excellent.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2016, 12:35 PM »
I'd hit up ebay or craiglist and look for a used one, I got a vex off ebay for half the cost basically new. They are pretty tough units. they all work well, just pick the one that matches your style of viewing. They really are amazing though, I have definalty caught a lot more fish jigging since I now know a fish is 10 ft currently above my lure......... ::)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline spoof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 24, 2016, 02:48 PM »
vex

Offline JC4me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2016, 08:01 AM »
I prefer Marcum to Vexilar. I have used both and I believe it's a personal preference. I have an LX-5 and LX-6...love them both.
"It is better to have fished and lost...than never to have fished at all."

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:14 AM »
its like asking someone if they should buy a car, van, or a truck.  (not chevy vs ford)  all have their uses.  one will work better than others in certain instances.  you are leaving out way to much information for anyone to help you make a decision. 

Offline Klunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Can you see the screen on the lx series in the direct sun?  I have a vex fl12 I can not see the screen in the sun.Looking for a unit I can see in the sun. any suggestions would be appreciated.THANKS

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2016, 10:51 PM »
meek48
vex doesn't make digital ice sonars yet. i would like to see them get into them tho. so for now you are comparing two different types of sonars, one being digital and the other being a flasher.
the lx7 is digital and has tons more controls and options and features and they offer a high speed transducer for open water boat use.  harder to see in sun light like a smart phone is.
if you like simple, get a flasher like the vex and marcum lx5 and under. easier to see in sun light.
if you like lots of control and options and features get a digital sonar.
think of them like cell phones, one being a flip phone and the other being a smart phone.
what do you use right now? are you tiered of it?

at least he knows not to even consider hb's!

klunker
lx5i
flx28
these use led lights for the display and are the brightest i know of.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 26, 2016, 03:26 PM »
Can you see the screen on the lx series in the direct sun?  I have a vex fl12 I can not see the screen in the sun.Looking for a unit I can see in the sun. any suggestions would be appreciated.THANKS
i have the older lx5 ( not the flat screen) snd it can be easily seen in the brighest days. My FL 22 is hard to see in any sunny weather.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Feb 27, 2016, 04:13 AM »
Marcum because they have better target separation. 

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2016, 05:30 AM »

There it is plain & simple !

Vexilar has had all these years to improve it and the have done nothing !

And don't give me if it ain't broke don't improve it argument because if that was true you would still be fishing with a wood stick on a bucket !

Chute82

« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2016, 08:35 AM »

Marcum 1/2 inch target, vex 1/4 inch target.....

Offline oldtrapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2016, 01:04 AM »
Marcum 1/2 inch target, vex 1/4 inch target.....
Says who ? Vex has never ever had 1/4 inch target separation and may never have . Marcum has always won in that regard with 1/2 inch .

TD

Chute82

« Reply #49 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:00 AM »
Says who ? Vex has never ever had 1/4 inch target separation and may never have . Marcum has always won in that regard with 1/2 inch .

TD

If you go to each company's website like I did the info is there... Don't shoot the messenger

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:27 AM »
Yep that's what is on their site is 1/4" , but I can tell you first had it isn't so ! Fishing side by side with a buddy who has an FL-28 next to my LX-7  while on some Perch and he struggled to mark them as they were laying in the mud . We messed with the settings and it couldn't mark them as good as my LX-7 . I'm not trying to start an argument , but I saw first had that their claim of 1/4" wasn't true , even though I'm a French model !!  ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #51 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:37 AM »
Yep that's what is on their site is 1/4" , but I can tell you first had it isn't so ! Fishing side by side with a buddy who has an FL-28 next to my LX-7  while on some Perch and he struggled to mark them as they were laying in the mud . We messed with the settings and it couldn't mark them as good as my LX-7 . I'm not trying to start an argument , but I saw first had that their claim of 1/4" wasn't true , even though I'm a French model !!  ;D
struggling to find the perch in the mud with the flx28.haha.put that unit in zoom.vexilar says target id is 1/4 im not  sure it means target separation but I have no problems nailing any fish that swims with my flx28.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #52 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:44 AM »
that's very interesting news and thanks for updating us with it! i was wanting to know how an led can draw such a fine line over a digital display.
hearing target id and target separation is yet another clue too and thanks for that info.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:35 AM »
Flx-28 is a great unit with great features!
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.