Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 544832 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1020 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:40 PM »
Well, PLfish, That is a very picturesque and informative ice report on Chase. Thanks. 
 It's a statement to yer bravery, too.  So, as I read it, your heel was your spud, oops, and got wet ?   :woot: Bahahahaha !  Maybe I best be makin-up a spud for you.   ;)2

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1021 on: Dec 27, 2012, 11:55 PM »
Almost grabbed the spud on the way out of the garage....next time I'll have it! I don't remember too many years when the ice up here was this poor or late to form. 

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1022 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Well...the weather service just updated their forecast for Sandpoint

Mon night   11
Tue night    16
Wed night   15

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1023 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:46 AM »
Musta happen when the day crew came in and saw those cold temps. lolol

Offline Carguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1024 on: Dec 28, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Has anyone here fished Sinclair lake in Moyie ?
I was hunting in that area this fall and heard from a local that it's dynamite ice fishing.

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1025 on: Dec 28, 2012, 05:14 PM »
Sinclair lake is a put and take trout pond.  If that is the type of ice fishing you are interested in it may be fine.  I have a cabin 2 miles from it and do not ice fish it, and I ice fish alot.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1026 on: Dec 28, 2012, 10:22 PM »
I am heading to CDA tomarrow so that means I will be checking out all the chain lakes on the way. Hope i can find something that i like.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1027 on: Dec 28, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Oh man !  Do be careful ~ things have not been too wonderful for good ice formation.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1028 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:08 PM »
I agree. We punched some holes Friday 12/28 near the dock at the end of the boardwalk at Perkins Lake access area.  About 4 to 5 inches of white reconstituted ice.  You could walk on it but we did not venture away from the immediate area of the dock and out onto the broad lake.  Caught alot of  small bass.  Noted some discolored spots without snow not much farther out.  It was 9 to 11 fow off the dock so deep enough to fish.  Did not fall through but cannot really recommend that ice though as none of it was clear.  Be careful this year as ice is forming under snow.  Hope the predicted cold weather gets here this time.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1029 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I checked on Upper Twin again today.  Its a little better with a good solid inch and a half. Then I went to Cocolalla and Round Lake.  Both looked worse then they did three days ago.  Its a little colder, I was hoping it would be better then that.  I guess a watched pot never boils.

sihlms391

« Reply #1030 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Went to kelso.  Caught a nice trout.  It has about inch and a halve.  These next few nights should take care of it.

sihlms391

« Reply #1031 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:25 PM »
I was fishing off the dock at kelso.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1032 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Whew !  The dock is good news, Sihlms.   

The pucker power of an inch & a half has just subsided. I can stand without pulling the cushion off the chair.    :woot:

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1033 on: Dec 29, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Well hears the ice report from the drive to CDA. Black, Cave, Medicine, and Killarney. All open with very very little skim ice. Medicines cove by the hwy had the most. But when I seen the waves from the wind making ice waves I dint even stop. I think the duck hunters are keeping Killarney open it was like combat duck hunting out there. There must have been 3 boats of duck hunter out and passed 2 on the way in and one on the way out.

sihlms391

« Reply #1034 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:15 AM »
Thanks for info Sticksandstring.   Hopefully this next week gets cold.   

sihlms391

« Reply #1035 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:38 PM »
My friend that lives up at twin saw a couple of guys on upper twin today.  I am heading to lower twin then probably kelso and granate tomorrow.  Any one here of any other lakes ready.   I won't get out there unless there is a good three inches of clear ice. 

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1036 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:05 PM »
Glad I am not the only one who has been getting antsy to get on the ice. Looks like a little goose hunting this weekend. While out driving today notice the slough over by round lake and jewel was froze just don't know how thick it was.

sihlms391

« Reply #1037 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:41 AM »
I think the geese have been keeping the water open on round.  Was open water in front of the dock Saturday.    There must have been over 100 geese the other day. 

Offline perchhead1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1038 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:35 PM »
I was on Dawson Lake by Bonners Ferry this morning Jan. 1.  About 4-5 inches of questionable ice, I would not walk out across the lake to my normal spots.  We need 4-5 cold nights to firm things up.  The snow cover had insulated the ice too much for safe ice.  No perch crappie or trout is worth falling in over, so be patient, the ice is going to firm up, the forcast is looking good.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1039 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I saw about 10 guys out on Upper Twin today.  Walked out to the closest ones and the ice was about 2 1/2 inches, some places not that much.  I think Ill wait a few days.  Also checked Lower Twin and it was frozen over with the ice about 1 1/2 inches by the boat ramp.   It won't be long now.....

sihlms391

« Reply #1040 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Blueduck,  I was there too and when I went to  check the first hole and it was maybe inch and half I left.  I crazy but not that crazy.  Cocollala is not frozen much at all.  I ended up at kelso off the dock.  The ice there will  be ready by friday.   Round is almost all frozen over now.    I even went to jewel lake.    Have you ever been to houdo lake?

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1041 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:35 PM »
I was out on Upper Twin this afternoon as well.  Ice was definitely questionable.  I wouldn't have fished it if I was the only one out there.  I was seeing 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches. I never saw anything less than 2 1/2.  The real problem with it is that only about 1 inch (at best) is clear hard ice.  The rest is junk.  I stayed close to people but not too close and still tested the ice ahead of myself.  I watched one fella spud his way halfway across the lake.  I thought that was a bit excessive for the conditions and opted not to follow.  Caught a bunch of small perch in about 15' of water.  None over 8".  Talked to one fella who said he'd been on Hayden out of Sportsman's this morning.  He caught a couple of small perch there and one decent pike.  He said the ice there was better than at upper twin.  He figured that Hayden was about 1/2 an inch thicker with more hard clear ice.

sihlms391

« Reply #1042 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Lakes should get a lot better in a couple of days.   

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1043 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Went to my local smaller pond today to check the ice. About an inch of good black ice. Walked about 20 feet front shore. Where ether someone or something went throw the ice. That was far enough for me. I will give it a week or so and try it again.

Offline elkhuntinfool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1044 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Glad to hear this cold weather is helping some ice thicken up. I guess its time to get my act together and get the rest of my fishing stuff together.

sihlms391

« Reply #1045 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:43 PM »
It is a good idea to drill a hole every 5 feet if you aren't sure of the depth.  Something I noticed last year is the ice was different depths all over because of how the lakes would freeze.   

Offline plfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1046 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:09 PM »
Well...decided to try Chase Lake again today.  The temps have been below freezing for a week now, but not too cold with the inversion setting in and a thick cloud layer at night.  The coldest overnight lows have been in the low 20's up here.  It hasn't been cold enough on Chase to firm up the slush layers.  1  inch hard layer on top with a 3 inch slush layer below.  Then a 1 inch hard layer followed by a 1 inch slush layer. Bottom layer is 3-3.5 inches of mostly hard.  Total depth is 9 inches or so, but not consistent enough for me yet (remember I had a wet leg last week on Chase).  We need some overnight temps in the single digits to firm up the layers.  I haven't checked Blue Lake for a while but my hunch it isn't much better.  I'll try to get down there in the next couple of days. Definitely getting antsy.....

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1047 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:31 PM »
Went out on Thompson today.  It really is still four or five days away from "safer" ice.   Open water across  from the outlet.  1 1/2 good ice + 1" snow ice.  Normally first ice would be excellent  fishing, but we are a month later this year.

Offline sticksandstring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1048 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:17 PM »
stjoemitch did you take digger out with you?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1049 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Digger and Tyler Cress.  Any report on Black Lake ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.