Author Topic: Inside guides/outside guides  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Inside guides/outside guides
« on: Apr 27, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Looking at getting some new rods and want everything with outside guides. So that seems to limit it to custom builds like thorne bros, tucr, dh and such sine they specifically say they have them when ordered that way. Some of the bro rods look nice on the frabill site but dont really say much on the size of the guides even though advertised as hole hopping rods. Why would anyone want the small inside guides anyway? What advantage do they have? Someone please school me.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Inside guides/outside guides
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:33 AM »
I use the Jiggler long rod with no guides. You have a set amount of line out. Catch a fish lift him up. No wind blown line. No tangles. No frozen eyes.No spinning jig from twisted line coming off your reel. Pulsator type rods are cool too. For the life of me I cant see why many still use the short rods any more for shallow water pan fishing.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:41 AM »
That's  interesting. I have bought some nice outfits last year only to find they have small eyes that are very hard to pop the ice from the tip. Last week I ordered two Thorne bros rods, both 30" with outside recoil guides and 5" tenn handles. One is the power noodle and one quiver stick. Lots of folks around here just use thier open water rods but I fish differently them and more like you nothern guys. Using two # test and a flasher. So its nice to be close to the fish to manage it because of the light line and seeing the flasher better. I also landed three EC inline reels to build up my new rigs.

Offline mikejd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Flint, To answer your question. The reason for someone wanting small guides is because of the sensitivity factor. larger guide size on lets say a rod built for lakers or walleye is not so relevent. However lets say you are now building a rod for panfish you would be amazed how the action of a particular blank will change with heavier guides.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Thanks Mike, I see your point. I would assume the titainum guides would be similar weight to the small inside ones. Looking foward to the new rods.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2014, 11:58 PM »
the main difference between inside or outside guides is the diameter of the inside of the guide. the theory with using a larger diameter guide (outside guide) is that it won't ice up as fast as a smaller diameter guide (inside guide) will. inside a heated shack the guide size is not as big of issue. when I build ice rods I go with a #8 tip top followed by 2 #8 guides then a #10 and lastly a #12. this works great and I get good feeling and sensitivity from it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2014, 12:35 PM »
great points ;D
Never to many short poles

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.