Author Topic: BRAID WITH MONO/FLORO/??? LEADER  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
BRAID WITH MONO/FLORO/??? LEADER
« on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:53 PM »
What is the purpose of using braid as your main line and then tying on a mono/floro/whatever leader? I understand that the leader will be harder for fish to detect (theoretically), but why not eliminate the braid and use a whole reel of mono/floro/whatever? Your line is only as strong as your weakest link, so it'll break at the mono/floro/whatever anyway so the braid really doesn't do anything or make your line stronger. So, what is the advantage of doing it this way then?
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
Re: BRAID WITH MONO/FLORO/??? LEADER
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Hi -

Well here's my logic since I do the braid/fluoro leadher thing on most of my setups.  These are in no particular order of importance (to me).

1) Braid can last many seasons without being degraded by sunlight and natural aging of the material.
2) Braid (or Fireline in my case) has essentially no memory.  This means it does not retain its coily nature.
3) Braid has no stretch which means better strike detection (whether this matters or not would depend on the type of fish your after and how they are biting).
4) Braid being stronger if I get hung up I can just break the leader off (hopefully) and not lose a bunch of my main line.  More a factor in deeper water I suppose.
5) Using a heavier main line with a still thin diameter lets me use a variety of different line sizes (diameters) on the same outfit (obviously within reason) by just
    changing the leader.
6) I can get knots/tangles out of Fireline that would send the setup to the rod case til I got home if I were just using mono or fluoro (unless the line gets pulled really
    tight - then its goodnight with the braid - at least with Fireline).

My 0.02.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Hi -

Well here's my logic since I do the braid/fluoro leadher thing on most of my setups.  These are in no particular order of importance (to me).

1) Braid can last many seasons without being degraded by sunlight and natural aging of the material.
2) Braid (or Fireline in my case) has essentially no memory.  This means it does not retain its coily nature.
3) Braid has no stretch which means better strike detection (whether this matters or not would depend on the type of fish your after and how they are biting).
4) Braid being stronger if I get hung up I can just break the leader off (hopefully) and not lose a bunch of my main line.  More a factor in deeper water I suppose.
5) Using a heavier main line with a still thin diameter lets me use a variety of different line sizes (diameters) on the same outfit (obviously within reason) by just
    changing the leader.
6) I can get knots/tangles out of Fireline that would send the setup to the rod case til I got home if I were just using mono or fluoro (unless the line gets pulled really

My 0.02.

Good points. Those make sense! Thanks.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Could not have said it better myself.

to narrow it down to three points..

1)I can have 1 rod rigged for multi species, 10braid, and then switch between 2-8lb leader as I change targeted species
2) I replace leaders regularly so im fishing fresh line. but the braid backing holds for a few seasons
3) I use a high vis orange braid, but still get the low vis mono/floro in the water

I was at a seminar two years ago, one of the speakers had won the Canadian Ice fishing open, when i looked at his rods they were all rigged with braid with a leader.. i was sold

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:28 AM »
How does this setup work for panfish?  10 pound braid seems pretty heavy.  Do you use a swivel?  How long of a leader?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:13 PM »
Do you use a swivel?  How long of a leader?

I should clarify.. 8 to 10lb braid.. yes i use a swivel the smallest one i can find, and i leave the leader at about 2 to 3 ft long

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:22 PM »
I have not experimented with braid for ice fishing but I am a huge proponent for braid in the Bass world.  I use braid when I want a thinner line, either to cut current or give my bait better action.  This would work well with the eyes but just remember....ZERO stretch and a short rod means no forgiveness.  Easy to pull the bait of of the fishes mouth and break knots that way.  I think with the limited amount of line out and the lack of cover, floro would be a better choice for a jig rod.  If you do use braid, I find a uni to uni knot works well when tying the leader on if it is larger than the braid or an albright knot if it is the same diameter.  Just my .02.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Oh and to clarify, if you do use braid I would suggest the floro leader especially for the eyes...

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Hi -

changing the leader.

My 0.02.

x2....well stated.
The only thing i would add is that a braid is very abrasion resistant so when that fish is swimming circles under the ice there is less of a chance the line getting frayed and breaking.  I primarily use fireline 3lb crystal with 1-3lb leaders like floroice or asso.  I find the white lines are easy to see against the ice and water, which i primarily tight line so line visibilty is critical.  The back to back uni knot works best for me...no swivel here....I use lite jigs and feel the swivel takes away from the action and sensitivity of the setup.  I have also played around with some of the braids that show up under black light when fishing in the dark...works decent but just as easy to wear a headlamp on low during low light periods.
]

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:53 PM »
i have a couple of rods with fireline on them and i use small jigs on them. four lb test and i tie to the line with no leader. personally have caught a ton of gills,perch and crappies on this set up. could i have caught more with a leader. maby so but i doubt it. self confidence is important. i love braid.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:42 PM »
i have a couple of rods with fireline on them and i use small jigs on them. four lb test and i tie to the line with no leader. personally have caught a ton of gills,perch and crappies on this set up. could i have caught more with a leader. maby so but i doubt it. self confidence is important. i love braid.

I just started using braid last year. Tried a few brands out. I too tied directly to my lure, I think I caught just as many fish as anyone I was ever with that was using flouro/mono/etc.
-John Buchan

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2011, 02:39 PM »
I've quickly become fan of braid over the last few years, especially for my open water gear. These points have already been made but the thin diamater, superior abrasion resistance, and no stretch makes it incredibly sensitive and allows for excellent hook-sets.  I recently started using braid through the ice and have been very happy with it. One thing I have noticed is that the lack of stretch can be a problem when fishing for species like whitefish. In this case I use a much longer leader 10-12ft which gives me a bit of shock absorbance. Regardless I plan on experimenting with it much more this coming winter. So far I've tried he suffix and power pro ice braid and have been very happy with both.

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:16 PM »
How does the Sufix perform outside?

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:06 AM »
Sorry I can't comment as I have only used Fireline on ice yet.  There was a post I read somewhere on the Shanty recently from JeffC regarding some of the Suffix braids.  Jeff really knows his stuff as I spent close to an hour talking to him about a guided trip on Bay of Quinte last year.  I sure wish I could have made it up there Jeff (if your listening) - someday.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2011, 05:35 AM »
I do not use any leaders.  8 lb in open water and 4lb fireline on the ice.  Fish for perch walleye and trout.
Don

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2011, 06:53 AM »
The only draw back with Braid that I've found is that it soaks up water so it will build up with ice alot faster than Mono or Floro. But it definitely has it's place in your arsenal.   :tipup:
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:10 AM »
I use FireLine with a fluoro leader quite a bit, especially in deeper water as it really aids in bite detection. 

I do think if you use braid in clear water that a leader will definitely catch more fish.  I had a buddy that tested that theory all winter bobber fishing for perch out of his wheel house.  He was fishing 13' in clear water with one rod rigged with 4# Crystal FireLine straight to the hook, and another rigged with a 3' fluoro leader.  He recorded the results over 10 fishing trips and it was a wipeout for the leader by the end of the year.  Over 3 to 1 catch ratio with the leader.  Of course bobber fishing is a very static presentation, and if you are snapping a spoon on aggressive fish it might not matter as much.

I still like to spool mono or fluoro in shallow water, I think a little bit of stretch helps put more fish on the ice.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.