Author Topic: hole hopping kitty litter bucket  (Read 17657 times)

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
hole hopping kitty litter bucket
« on: Mar 09, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Copied this idea from the Thorne Bros Message Boards an unnamed gentleman  brought his to the 6th Annual Portable Mod Get To Gether. So here's what I came up with. This is all stuff I had on hand and assembled to fit my needs.

A cloth nail apron to hold the transducer, home made wire rod holder, nylon strap to hold the Marcum to the bucket, three rod holders made from foam pipe insulation.

Don't have to bend over as far to adjust, easier to see and pick up to move.

Plenty of storage for what ever.

Used an automotive polish to remove the print from the kitty litter bucket.

Seems more corfortable to fish with.
Just like it, only diffrent.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Sawbones

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hole hopping kitty litter bucket
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Nice. Is the Marcum just sitting on those bolts?

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2011, 07:57 AM »
Yes sir, the bolts(1/4" x 1") are about a 1/2" down from the top of the bucket. That keeps the Marcum located nicely in the top of the bucket. Threaded rod could also be used instead of the bolts.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:08 AM »
I made a similar bucket for HoleHoppin. Added a second bucket (after cutting it roughly in half) to top of RED-SOX bucket. Raised the seat (which rotates/spins) up 4-5" , making it more comfortable(knees outta face now) and the additional room allows my Vex and a minnow/bait/daily catch bucket to fit nicely for transport on and off the ice. Rod holders from PVC and a Gulp bait holder (tape measure holder from toolbelt), plier caddy, as well as a flashlite holder to charge the glow jigs. I hang a boat keychain/reg holder off the side and store my waxies in that for easy access. I`m gonna steal your auto polish idea and remove unneccesary print from my bucket as well. Will grab some Jammin Jigs Bumper stickers to "fish" it up too!

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:18 AM »
This was my go to for hole hoping this year.

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Openingact,
I thought about mounting rod holds to the 6 gallon bucket I sit on but I was worried that I could break rod tips or get hooks stuck in my clothing.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:22 AM »
Mine isn't too elaborate.   Its a 6 gallon recycling  bucket that I found rolling down a street during a wind storm.  I attached a nylon tool-caddy to the outside for needlenose pliers, tape measure and such.  I also some rubber cups to act as rod holders.  To sit on I glued some closed cell foam onto a bucket lid, but when its really cold I toss a sterno into a metal bowl, set it in the bucket, light er up,  and sit on one of those HT ¾ seats and let the heat rise up between my legs into my coat and warm my hands.  Light weight and functional.  Good for about 3 hours of heat, and I bought all at a dollar store.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2011, 10:28 AM »

I thought about mounting rod holds to the 6 gallon bucket I sit on but I was worried that I could break rod tips or get hooks stuck in my clothing.

I really just use my bucket mounted rodholders to hold the rod while I re-tie a jig.  Spare rods go into the sled that I drag around with the auger, ff, spoon, and beer.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Openingact,

I was worried about that as well, but after talking to others with similar setups I was confident that the problem shouldn't arise. I was happy that so far it's worked out since I haven't had either of those problems happen yet.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:23 PM »
i made a kitty litter bucket as well from the thorne bros boards! basically a copy cat from the one posted there but i poy my blue box on the top of it. gps and bait on the sides three rod holders on the back....

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2011, 09:26 PM »
Here's my "kitty litter" hole hopping bucket:

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Looks a lot like a sonic ice hopper to me ::)?

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Looks a lot like a sonic ice hopper to me ::)?

Indeed it is ...

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2011, 08:49 AM »
Sully,
Always thought I like to try one to see if it fit my needs just didn't have the money to spend on one. May see if I can make one simular this year.
When you fish with your ice hopper do you straddle the flasher with your legs or sit to one side of it?
If you were to improve on your ice hopper what would you change?

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2011, 09:51 AM »
Sully,
Always thought I like to try one to see if it fit my needs just didn't have the money to spend on one. May see if I can make one simular this year.
When you fish with your ice hopper do you straddle the flasher with your legs or sit to one side of it?
If you were to improve on your ice hopper what would you change?

Believe it or not, I wouldn't change a thing! I did make some minor modifications to it such as adding 3 UV light bars for night fishing and charging glow jigs. Also, I made a switch box with an on/off main toggle switch, and toggle for the lights. I also mounted the transducer mount from my Vex to the side as I didn't like the "pouch" that came with it. Lastly, I made and mounted a tool caddy for my forceps and scissors.

When I fish with it, the flasher sits perfectly between my legs with full view of my fishing hole. When i catch a fish, I just put my rod in the holder and unhook the fish, then if it's a keeper I slip it in the bucket without getting up or drawing attention from others. This setup is WAY better on my back since instead of sitting on a 5 gal bucket, I'm sitting on a 5 gal that's inside a 6 gal, so my knees are now lower than my pelvis instead of vise-versa which causes back pain. Sometimes I do stand when I fish with it to give the back a break after 8-10 hrs fishing.

If you are thinking of making one, I wouldn't advise it. The bracket that they make has been tested with flashers to protect them from any accidental breakage. It was designed to eliminate any "racking" of your electronics causing the case to crack if the bucket should ever tip over. You could still make your own, but I advise buying the Sonic Ice Hopper bracket made from 1/8" aluminum, then just mount that to your own buckets. Use a 5 gal inside a 6 gal with your battery in the bottom bucket, this way it's protected and also serves as a counter balance for the whole system. I have seen some "home made" Sonic Ice Hoppers, but the brackets aren't near as strong as the one you can just buy. If they are, they were just too heavy. I recommend getting the XL bracket as it's perfect for flasher placement.

If you are interested in getting or making one, PM me and I'll send you in the right direction.

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2011, 10:44 PM »

If you are thinking of making one, I wouldn't advise it. The bracket that they make has been tested with flashers to protect them from any accidental breakage. It was designed to eliminate any "racking" of your electronics causing the case to crack if the bucket should ever tip over. You could still make your own, but I advise buying the Sonic Ice Hopper bracket made from 1/8" aluminum, then just mount that to your own buckets. Use a 5 gal inside a 6 gal with your battery in the bottom bucket, this way it's protected and also serves as a counter balance for the whole system. I have seen some "home made" Sonic Ice Hoppers, but the brackets aren't near as strong as the one you can just buy. If they are, they were just too heavy. I recommend getting the XL bracket as it's perfect for flasher placement.

Had to give it a try.

Ta Daaa!  Not bad for homemade.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2011, 09:00 AM »
Nice job TA! Sweet, looks great. How long did it take you?

Offline TA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Sully,

I spend about 4 very enjoyable hours measuring, cutting, bending, drilling and bolting it all together. Every since I first saw a picture of a Sonic Ice Hopper I thought I could build one myself. I guess I just needed some to tell me I couldn't or shouldn't build one. Thanks for the push Sully.

The Kitty Litter Bucket was fun to build but, I'm more proud of my homemade copy of the SIH.

T/Ake cAARe, doug

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jun 27, 2011, 10:23 PM »
How did you bend that in a vise? just mark, clamp and bend with a hammer? did it crack at all on the 90's? Just wondering as I just got a hopper unit and want to mimic it for another head, also what about the hangers did that crack at all?

thanks EK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.