Author Topic: Filling 1# Propane Tanks  (Read 19014 times)

Offline gmuddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Refilling 1lb. lp tanks
« Reply #90 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:20 AM »
First off make sure that the 1lb tanks are new and not rusted, as this will weaken the tank. Then make sure the 20lb tank is warm, inside room temp. take the 1bl tank and put them out side in the cold weather or in the freezer if its warm out. By doing this you will have a higher pressure in the 20 lb tank allowing you to inject more of the liquid LP into the tank. Then add a drop of oil in the center of the 1 lb tank and then connect to the 20 lb, turn the 20 lb upside down, turn the valve on and allow the LP to fill the tank for about 30 to 60 seconds, you will hear the LP fluid filling the tank, disconnect when you no longer hear the fluid transferring. You will never be able to fill the tank completely, like when you first bought them. Be careful as the 1 lb tank seal my not close all the way, I always put a few drops of water in the center to see if it bubbles up.

Hope this helps and be carefull. Some states have banned these adapters, because they could be dangerous

Fish on!

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #91 on: Dec 17, 2010, 07:30 AM »
Thanks for the info, just trying to save some bucks  ;D
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline cwmilost

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Dec 17, 2010, 10:50 AM »
you dont have to set them outside in the cold just push down on the pressure safety valve to release any vapor and pressure in the tank before filling. make sure you wear gloves good rubber or leather. you will be able to fill the tank all the way up now.putting it in the cold , lowers the pressure in  the tank but if you warm the tank causing the pressure to increase then bleed off the  this pressure. by returning it to a cold temp you will have less pressure in the tank maybe even a negative pressure if done right, more so than just putting it in the cold. if you haven't used the tank in a while and its been sitting completely empty make sure you purge the tank. the fluctuation in temperature can put a negative pressure in the tank which can cause air to be sucked in over a extended period of time you will have to much moisture fill air in the tank. by purging this will get all the air than contains moisture out of the tank. if you push on the valve and nothing come out thats a good sign the pressure in side the tank has equaled the out side pressure and there could be  is air in the tank since 1 lb tank dont have a shut off valve to stop air from getting back in. to purge a tank you must fill with the 20 lb tank in the up right position this will make the vapor boil off the top. fill 1 lb tank with vapor then release all the vapor in the 1 lb tank repeat 4 or 5 times.
 if done perfectly first purge 50% air 50% vapor second purge 25 % air and 75 % vapor third purge 12.5 % air and 87.5 % vapor forth purge 6.25 % air and 93.75 % vapor. the goal is to get below 6 % air in the tank this will make the tank  not have moisture from the air that will freeze up you regulator and with oxygen in the tank this will oxidize the ethyl mercaptan that is added to the lp to give it the smell so you know if its leaking out. lp is naturally odorless and when the ethyl mercaptan gets oxidized it loses its smell.

Offline CB2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I Walk on Water - Just Like Jesus
« Reply #93 on: Dec 17, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Here you go.

CB

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 17, 2010, 12:14 PM »

Offline kentg

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Refilling 1lb propane bottles
« Reply #95 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I've been refilling them for years with no filter and no problems. I made my own refill device from a propane torch fitting and some copper tubing because you couldn't buy them years ago. Naturally they will say not to do it as they lose money and don't want to be liable. Propane doesn't ignite as easily as gasoline.  It's probably more dangerous lighting a coleman stove or lantern that uses conventional coleman fuel. Just don't be stupid when filling them. ( No open flames or smoking.) You won't get 20 refills from a 20 lb cylinder as some is lost during the refill process. If you only use half a dozen cylinders a year, it's probably not woth the trouble of refilling them.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 18, 2010, 07:53 AM »
I guess I haven't looked at a bottle in a while, but I thought it said, or used to say, 'Illegal to transport if refilled' or something like that?

Offline welderman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:22 AM »
i refill them no problem. 20# at room temp 1# cold , turn 20# upside down to get liquid propane in to 1# bottle.

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Dec 18, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I refill mine, the trick with the wd-40 is a good idea, if one leaked I did push the valve with a nail and usually it will seat right and stop but a squirt of wd I will have to try that too.  and as far as transport of the tanks, who has got stooped and checked? how can they tell that the gas in the tank is the gas that came with it or some that you put in??  I think that is just another thing that they put on there to try to deter you from doing it, like the label that says not to refill.  if they can get you not to they will make more money.  long as you use your head, don't do anything stupid, check for leaks, use good tanks etc... you will be fine and end up with more cash in your pocked too at the end of the year.  And if you don't feel comfy refilling tanks you don't have to, but us that do I don't see anything wrong with it, they make and sell that refill valve for a reason.  if it could not be done safely there would of been a recall or ban or something like that of them.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Dec 18, 2010, 11:01 AM »
I see no problem in refilling the bottles, either, I just find it funny that my Coleman bottles say not to refill, but my buddy has a refill adapter that he swears was in a Coleman package. 

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #100 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:46 AM »
Here you go.

I do mine just like this.  But I only get approx 12 oz. of propane in the 1 lb. containers.  I wonder why?
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I do mine just like this.  But I only get approx 12 oz. of propane in the 1 lb. containers.  I wonder why?
20 pound tank needs to be 70 degrees, one pound tank needs to be 32 degrees or colder. Most of the time guys don't wait long enough for the 20 pound tank to warm up enough.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #102 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:20 AM »
The only difference in the way I did it was that my 20 # tank was over 70 degrees.  It was in the summer time. And the 1# was just taken out of the freezer, so around 5 degrees.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:15 AM »
that warning said  transporting .....in commerce    doesnt apply to most of us    now if you have commercial plates   maybe   I doubt it   reselling    bingo busted
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline perchjunkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yellow Bellies Rock!
« Reply #104 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM »
How do you tell if a tank has been refilled?  ???
"Save Some For Seed ! "

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #105 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:29 AM »
refilled sticker   lol

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:33 AM »
How do you tell if a tank has been refilled?  ???

When I am refilling mine I use a sharpie or marker and write the date on it, I have also used address labels but they dont always stick real well
[IMG]]

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Filling 1# Propane Tanks
« Reply #107 on: Dec 26, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Someone asked for info on filling 1# tanks, here is what I do. Bring the 20# in the house overnight. Put the 1#ers in the coldest place you can. Freezer or snowbank. Hook up the adapter (remember it is right hand thread). Screw on your 1#. Flip the whole operation upside down. Open the valve for 1 minute. Close valve. Flip it over and take off the 1#. Repeat, save ca$h. Throw away rusty topped cans or any that leak. I put a shot of WD-40, PB Blaster or the like on the tops to keep them not rusty. Did I miss anything?
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Filling 1# Propane Tanks
« Reply #108 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:22 PM »
well said skid. thats how it was shown to me was to turn the tank upside down but i was told a minute and a half. works like a charm though and saves money. I can get a 20# tank filled for about 8 bucks and to bu fresh one pounders they go usually 2 for 5 bucks soo way cheaper to fill my own

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #109 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:10 PM »
well said skid. thats how it was shown to me was to turn the tank upside down but i was told a minute and a half. works like a charm though and saves money. I can get a 20# tank filled for about 8 bucks and to bu fresh one pounders they go usually 2 for 5 bucks soo way cheaper to fill my own
18 bucks a fill up here    :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:48 PM »
my neighbor takes em to the rez and it costs 8 bucks. I paid like 15 bucks last season glad my neighbor told me that to go to the rez.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #111 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:36 PM »
the macoupler! greatest invention!

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #112 on: Apr 02, 2011, 09:57 AM »
be careful this is not advised there could be a poof down the road

Seems like there's one just above my post  ::)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Apr 03, 2011, 10:07 PM »
I finally broke down and bought a hose that goes straight to the #20 tank.  I will still refill the one pounders for my lantern though.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #114 on: Apr 05, 2011, 08:55 AM »
I really dont see why anybody makes a big deal outta it   just gotta be the Nanny mentality too many have taken on

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.