Author Topic: Clam Thermal - Alternate chair ideas?  (Read 5437 times)

Offline Flash04jv

• IceShanty Rookie
Clam Thermal - Alternate chair ideas?
« on: Oct 12, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Just put together my Clam Thermal 1 man. Before this I had a Frabill 2 man flip over. It had no affixed chair, just a folding chair.

The Clam chair seems too tall and makes it heavier. Takes up a lot of room for awkward storage of gear too. Has anyone here just remove it and used a comfy folding chair with any luck? Or was that no good?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Clam Thermal - Alternate chair ideas?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2019, 10:23 AM »
I use a Sports style chair in my old Frabill Adventurer..it originally had a tri pod style seat ..horrible seat . I also have a directors style chair that I have yet to try in my flip over..but nice in the Eskimo hub.

https://www.reedssports.com/trophy-angler/trophy-angler-4-season-chair-w/-storage-bag-245043
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I am waiting on my Millenium Marine/Blind chair which I've sat in before- they are unreal.

https://millenniummarine.com/product/b-100-gray/

It's going in my Clam X200. It comes in a model with feet that is very popular with hunters. Its light and very well built.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Flash04jv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2019, 01:45 PM »
I use a Sports style chair in my old Frabill Adventurer..it originally had a tri pod style seat ..horrible seat . I also have a directors style chair that I have yet to try in my flip over..but nice in the Eskimo hub.

https://www.reedssports.com/trophy-angler/trophy-angler-4-season-chair-w/-storage-bag-245043

Exact hut I had until this year. Horrible chair, but I loved having the open tub sled. I used a folding chair, or maybe you'd call them a lawn chair, or soccer chair. Thinking I'll do the same with this clam.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2019, 08:26 PM »
Thinking of useing a marine water proof bean bag? While ice fishing.. just set it on a wood Platform for the shanty..

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Which seat do you have? My clam scout one man has the mesh seat, seams nice, no field use yet though. I believe you can order them online, maybe find a shelter with one to sit on first?

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2019, 05:07 PM »
I am waiting on my Millenium Marine/Blind chair which I've sat in before- they are unreal.

https://millenniummarine.com/product/b-100-gray/

(Image removed from quote.)

It's going in my Clam X200. It comes in a model with feet that is very popular with hunters. Its light and very well built.

Just wondering if you’ve ever spent a whole day in one like one on the ice. I like the looks of that seat and would go in the pro cabin easy.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2019, 07:45 AM »

Just wondering if you’ve ever spent a whole day in one like one on the ice. I like the looks of that seat and would go in the pro cabin easy.

I have not, personally, but they are highly recommended with the hunting crowd. They got famous with their hunting blind chairs of the same design.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline Flash04jv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Which seat do you have? My clam scout one man has the mesh seat, seams nice, no field use yet though. I believe you can order them online, maybe find a shelter with one to sit on first?

It seems like a nice seat, and is comfortable just sitting on it in the basement. I don't like the weight it adds, I'm a very basic kind of ice fisherman, I only take essential gear and move a lot. A chair is essential, but the weight it adds, the height it adds when closed, and the difficulty of accessing or storing gear in the tub below the 2 rails makes me want to remove it, and just use a chair I can take in and out easily, like a folding soccer type chair.

I am pretty convinced the chair is not a good option for me. If they sold a version with no chair I'd have bought it, maybe they do and I'm not aware of it.

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2019, 09:12 AM »
I picked up a clam blazer stealth this past spring on closeout for the same reasons you mention.  No seat, only a spot to fix a bucket.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:03 PM »
I found a small shooting chair last year I used in my hub, folds flat is small and light, , but very comfortable to sit in all day.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:06 PM »
I picked up a clam blazer stealth this past spring on closeout for the same reasons you mention.  No seat, only a spot to fix a bucket.

Did the exact same thing, end of season closeout from Marine General

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Well, I got my Millenium Marine chair in yesterday, it's a nice chair, but does have a little backwards slant to it. I assume it's by design but I'm not sure how it will work for me. It's very comfortable for a short sit but definitely leans you back. Have to see how it actually works for a day of fishing but it's well built and light.

Obviously you can see how it makes you sit into the chair, this is sitting flat on the mounting base:

In the shanty it's not much in height difference to the Clam chair:

So, unfortunately you'll have to wait until I get some ice time to see if it's really gonna work. It kicks me back into the chair so much my feet can't really touch the ground. It will be wicked comfortable for kicking back and lounging with my feet up, but when I want to be in position to jig, right over the hole, it might not work. Jury still out.

Offline Flash04jv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2019, 07:37 PM »

Wow! Glad to know that even exists! Thanks!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I love my Clam Blazer Stealth for a single person, me and hauling by myself. Nothing better.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 21, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I’ll be putting the millennium seats in my shanty this year. I’ve spent the whole day in my boat with them and they are awesome. Yes they lean you back some, not the best for sight fishing. But way better than the stock seats.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 22, 2019, 06:30 AM »

Boat seat.  Very comfortable. Had it for three years now and no problems.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 22, 2019, 07:57 AM »
I’ll be putting the millennium seats in my shanty this year. I’ve spent the whole day in my boat with them and they are awesome. Yes they lean you back some, not the best for sight fishing. But way better than the stock seats.

Yeah, I'm putting these in my boat next year. They will be awesome for that and they are super comfortable. I'm not 100% though on it for the flip. Kinda not ideal for jigging.

Offline Flash04jv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2019, 03:01 PM »
I ended up removing the chair system and sold it on a local site. Never got over how cumbersome it seemed.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2019, 12:13 PM »
I took the seat out of my Kenai - too heavy and all it was was a padded seat.  Now I use a larger size milk crate with a folding stadium chair.  Lightweight & holds more gear.  In addition, you can lift it out when loading/unloading.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.