Author Topic: Kahtoola warranty?  (Read 4212 times)

Offline sweth

• IceShanty Rookie
Kahtoola warranty?
« on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:59 AM »
Hey guys, quick question. I emailed kahtoola last week thru their website regarding my broken micro spike, and I haven't heard anything back. Is this normal, is my replacement in the mail? Or do they usually email you to let you know? Wondering if I need to hound them or if this is normal operating procedure. Thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Kahtoola warranty?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:04 AM »
48 hrs should be enough time to take care of emails. i'd keep on it, no harm done.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:42 AM »
They will get to you.....I think it took a few days before I heard from them....but they are good about stuff....probably just very busy.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Well, it’s end of season everywhere. People are going through their gear and it wouldn’t surprise me if you aren’t the only one contacting them. Try calling them.

FWIW, for me, it seems like I’m always the one that has to wait a week for a response too. Stay polite and professional in your demeanor when trying to contact them again. In my experience, when it comes to customer service, you catch way more flies with honey than you do vinegar.

Also, how old is your set?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2019, 09:51 AM »
They have been great with me, always respond very quickly with great results.  They asked me for a picture of the tear I had and in a few days I had a new pair.  I would call them.

Offline sweth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2019, 12:15 PM »
I purchased them this past December and was only the third time using them. The rubber banding tore. I will have to follow up with them. Thanks guys for the info.

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I sent them a email on Feb 2 , in reguards about a issue. Haven't heard back from them yet. They stated sometimes it takes longer for a reply due to the busiest time of year.but now i will have to email again. Thanks for reminding me.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:09 PM »
Emailed sent pictures waited a couple weeks didn’t hear anything called them answer they went out yesterday got them two days later. Really great costumer service! Just give them a call they will take care of you!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2019, 02:22 PM »
Those Kahtoolas NEVER break.  ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:06 PM »
They do break, mine did and I know why.  The rubber straps are molded in one piece using injection molding.  The rubber flows in the mold around the core sections that make the openings and knits together on the back side which is called a knit line.   If the temperature of the rubber is too cool when the flow gets around the core sections or if there is insufficient vents in the mold at the knit line area, the knit line will be weak and over time the knit line will break.   Mold design and molding 101. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2019, 05:16 PM »
 The older models had much more elasticity than the newer plus they were thicker , mine are now 12 years old , and they were made in a different country , but not saying that is the difference , they do have a great customer service

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2019, 02:14 AM »
They do break, mine did and I know why.  The rubber straps are molded in one piece using injection molding.  The rubber flows in the mold around the core sections that make the openings and knits together on the back side which is called a knit line.   If the temperature of the rubber is too cool when the flow gets around the core sections or if there is insufficient vents in the mold at the knit line area, the knit line will be weak and over time the knit line will break.   Mold design and molding 101.

Happened to my microspikes.  -12 did them in.  I have not tried to get them replaced figuring it will happen again...

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2019, 11:08 AM »
My $20 Eagle Claw chinese microspike knock-offs finally broke the rubber after 5 years. :P

But a little bit of string and they work just fine-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2019, 12:54 PM »
So what is the warranty?   My left foot spike broke at the car and came off before I got on the ice on Saturday.  When walking out a  single strap (of two) on the front broke on my right foot.

Mine are 3 years old.  Size 14 Muck Artic Pro
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2019, 01:06 PM »
My $20 Eagle Claw chinese microspike knock-offs finally broke the rubber after 5 years. :P

Need to borrow $20?  LOL
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2019, 07:19 PM »

Had those early season...broke those too.  The yak track xtr's were ok but I lost one in the snow.  The LL bean jobs I bought to replace the kahtoolas I broke...I cant say im sad because boa or not they suck in wet snow...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 29, 2019, 08:42 AM »
Had those early season...broke those too.  The yak track xtr's were ok but I lost one in the snow.  The LL bean jobs I bought to replace the kahtoolas I broke...I cant say im sad because boa or not they suck in wet snow...

Get out.. you broke the LL Bean ones you just got too!? Have you tried the Stabilicers Maxx? I wore those for years and can't see how you'd be able to break them, but it seems you might be able to find a way! Maybe you should just stud your boots?
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2019, 10:23 AM »
Ya the dial on the LL bean got smashed while my otter was being towed behind my truck.  Not their fault by any means.  I just had a bad year with cleats!

Offline Longshoremen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 29, 2019, 12:27 PM »
Ya the dial on the LL bean got smashed while my otter was being towed behind my truck.  Not their fault by any means.  I just had a bad year with cleats!
cheek this out 59.00 dollars on amazon,cheaper and better traction, I stud my muck boots artic pros every other nob on the soles,also feels more natural then cleats, hope this helps.👍😜

Offline sweth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Yeah, so I called on Tuesday night and a real person answered, awesome. They were friendly and told me it takes 4 to 6 days and it hadn't quite been 6 days. She said they should get to it the next day. So Friday night and still no email been over a week. If they are warranting so many pairs it takes over a week to get to emails I imagine they won't last much longer. After this experience of having a cleat fail on the third use and now taking over a week to reply to my email I will not be promoting or purchasing their product again. Definitely not the quality product and service I've read so much about on here, be advised.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Yeah, so I called on Tuesday night and a real person answered, awesome. They were friendly and told me it takes 4 to 6 days and it hadn't quite been 6 days. She said they should get to it the next day. So Friday night and still no email been over a week. If they are warranting so many pairs it takes over a week to get to emails I imagine they won't last much longer. After this experience of having a cleat fail on the third use and now taking over a week to reply to my email I will not be promoting or purchasing their product again. Definitely not the quality product and service I've read so much about on here, be advised.
So, you read what a quality product it is, and read so much about their good customer service on this forum. Now they are one day late answering your email and you imagine they won't stay in business much longer. The world some people live in today.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2019, 06:21 PM »

Need to borrow $20?  LOL

Actually I plan on replacing the rubber with 3/16 0r 1/4" Bungee cord tied and knotted in the right spots should last forever!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2019, 07:29 PM »
Should somebody ask what the warranty is for the microSpikes, it's two years.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2019, 11:42 AM »
Ive had good success with Kahtoolas.  I ripped mine somehow this winter, and they were really good about replacing them....No complaints at all....Patience!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2019, 05:31 AM »
Ive had good success with Kahtoolas.  I ripped mine somehow this winter, and they were really good about replacing them....No complaints at all....Patience!

How old were they?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.