Author Topic: When to Call It Quits?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
When to Call It Quits?
« on: Mar 01, 2021, 09:51 PM »
Just curious to know at what point everyone decides it's not worth the risk in heading out onto the ice one last time.  Obviously the worry isn't the almost 3' of ice but rather the ice at the shore...I really don't want to have to Dukes of Hazzard it over open water to get back to shore.

With +8 in the forecast for next weekend, with a couple of mild days leading up to that, is there a risk of driving onto the ice, only to encounter problems at the end of the day?

Thanks for any insight.

gman51

Re: When to Call It Quits?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2021, 06:41 AM »
i would suggest common sense...works for me.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Rip is right,  there are lots of factors to consider.  The ice doesn't disappear in an afternoon but a well used launch on the sunny side of the lake can go to hell on a +10c day in a hurry.  Use common sense and follow your gut.  If in doubt walk out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:07 PM »
 Right, well on that note good luck in your quest for knowledge.  I'll keep my shoddy English to myself.  Have a good day sir!

Offline js6145

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:08 PM »
I fish on pasqua and get on at Luther land boat launch. I took my shack off this morning. The shore is already starting to have some water. What happens is vehicle carry sand and dirt onto the ice which will increase rate of melting. Also many people will be taking their shacks off causing more wear and tear. I probably will walk on next weekend. I don’t believe it will be good by Saturday evening. As far as the ice on the lake it will be find for even driving so definitely walking. Hope this helps.

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:20 PM »
I fish on pasqua and get on at Luther land boat launch. I took my shack off this morning. The shore is already starting to have some water. What happens is vehicle carry sand and dirt onto the ice which will increase rate of melting. Also many people will be taking their shacks off causing more wear and tear. I probably will walk on next weekend. I don’t believe it will be good by Saturday evening. As far as the ice on the lake it will be find for even driving so definitely walking. Hope this helps.

This helps immensely, thank you very much for the info...I didn't really contemplate the wear and tear of the access point by other vehicles.  I have a wife and 2 daughters with me, so I only really get one shot LOL.  It's a one-and-done with them.

I think we'll just call it a season at this point.  I always go on the side of caution and it wasn't even until the very end of January when we drove on to begin with.

Thanks again for an actual response to my question.

Offline bigk

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:26 PM »
Personally like rip and ran7gers answers better.... to each their own though. Shutter down, I wouldn’t wanna hit up that March bite anyways.

This is a serious question. Have we had a year you could not walk on lakes by end of March?

Offline Paraaronoid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Personally like rip and ran7gers answers better.... to each their own though. Shutter down, I wouldn’t wanna hit up that March bite anyways.

This is a serious question. Have we had a year you could not walk on lakes by end of March?

They didn't actually say much useful beyond "use your gut and common sense" LOL

I'm looking to be able to drive on so walking on is of no value to me...Ice fishing with my wife  and daughters include everything but the kitchen sink... portable toilet, tablets, large amounts of food and drink, etc.  Not to mention it's a 2 km walk to my honey hole.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:30 PM »
when march ends   you can prob get away on a smaller shaded trout lake if you wish, but then all good things that come to an end start all over again

Offline C-Dub

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2021, 01:02 PM »
I usually bring out the spud bar in March and follow the same approach as at first ice.  Getting on the ice in the morning is never the issue.  Getting off you need to be careful as the day heats up.  When in doubt, walk it out.  Stay safe!

Offline jayg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2021, 02:35 PM »
I camped on Echo on March 30th last year. Drove my SUV out there no problem. We fished all day on the 31st and caught my PB Walleye. When we went to leave the launch was totally washed out. My wife said "just send it" so I did and barely made it. The next day I saw a photo online of our camping setup with a truck going through about half a kilometer behind us closer to the hatchery while we were still sleeping. Everywhere I drilled was still at least 40 inches.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:41 PM »
This helps immensely, thank you very much for the info...I think we'll just call it a season at this point.

Don't quit now! This the best time of the whole ice season to fish!  The bite will really pick up in the coming weeks. G_of_Sask allows shacks on the ice until March 15th ( Southern Zone...longer in Central and North ) You'll have safe ice until then for sure. It's almost 4 feet thick.

Walk on if you feel better about it, but keep fishing and work on your spring tan 👍🏻😬  :tipup:

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2021, 06:49 PM »

I have fished the southern zone for close to 20 years and I haven't seen it yet. Driving on late in the season is a bit of  touch and go scenario and knowing when to call it, but walking....nope.

But to each their own. Stay safe and play it smart.  :tipup:

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2021, 09:26 AM »
It would have to get pretty hot to erode most ice in Saskatchewan right now enough to become unsafe (in my opinion) . I suppose i would be more cautious driving around on Diefenbaker after the next few weeks here, but everywhere else you SHOULD be ok.. you will just find the access's to get a little wet here for the next week or 2.. As it gets warmer, you will see more and more water on the ice.. but once it starts disappearing this means the ice is getting honey combed and filtering though, this is when i would stop driving on. just my two cents, id still walk on or quad on no worries.
good luck!

Offline aegisdark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2021, 11:08 PM »
You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2021, 02:47 PM »
First rule of ice fishing... Don't be the first one on, or the last one off.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2021, 05:48 PM »
I like fishing as much as anyone, but there isn’t a fish in the water that’s worth having an unpleasant swim, which could be the last one you ever have......

Offline cerndo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Rowan's boat launch

yesterday at 2pm

tonight at 7pm

5" of surface water out to the end of the docks.  Get out of your vehicle and check your chosen path before wandering on.  Enter at your own risk.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2021, 10:46 AM »
Went and met a buddy for some drinks at his shack on blackstrap saturday night,
Splashing through the surface water has a different feeling in the dark haha!

Cooler temps on the way, should help those access points firm up not so sloppy

The ice did feel softer yesterday cutting though, unless im imagining things

Offline jwg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Ice Was definitely softer when i drilled holes on the Quappelle chain last weekend

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Anyone heading out this weekend

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.