Author Topic: big shell  (Read 7760 times)

gman51

big shell
« on: Dec 04, 2020, 06:09 AM »
made the first trip into big shell yesterday incredible day out there for weather not a breeze sunny and warm. no trucks as of yet atv side by side and snowmobile are the choices as people are starting to haul out their shacks. 12" of ice where i was fishing and the water dirty viability about 2'. punched holes from 6' to 31' in a known area and had action most of the day in all depths. all be it adolescent pike. the flag was a popping.. tons of bait fish everywhere as seen on the flasher. pike kinda slowed down towards sunset and did start to pick up a few walleyes nothing over 16" mark. main thing about the trip was to check snow and ice conditions and the next one will have the snowmobile in tow to get to some more way points. ;D  just another great day.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: big shell
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2020, 08:51 AM »
Nice rip.  I can't wait for some long, warm March nights out there!

gman51

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2020, 09:00 AM »
yes and the burbot are crazy around then. poached burb on the ice rolled in butter and seasoning. while your waiting for the evening bite.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2020, 10:16 AM »
Hey Rip, I have only ice fished along the shore line just south of Echo Bay. Right where Loon road ends. I've caught plenty of jack and the odd walleye in the area. I'd like to walk out to the island in between Echo and Loon rd but that's a good haul. Do you know another spot worth trying where a guy might find a decide walleye bite within walking distance?
Looking at the depth chart, have you fished on the north east side right off the road that runs along the lake? There is a nice little point with a couple small holes that run about 25'.

gman51

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2020, 01:19 PM »
yeah pretty well any access point is a good haul right now without sled or atv you could try gull road beside the small bay to get access but still a walk. aspen ridge estates has access also. again long hikes. just pay attention as to property owners. if that fails there's always misty on the north end. good luck.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2020, 07:00 PM »
Nice fish. I was out today 12" of ice where i was as well. Sleds ripping around all over the lake, lots of hard shacks out now as well

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Anyone driving on yet ? Dying to get the hard shack out

gman51

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2020, 05:57 PM »
It’s a couple weeks since I was there and i was on 11-12" of ice. have a buddy that was up last Monday said there was a few people driving out with their trucks taking out the shacks.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Okay thanks, i was on 12" as well but didnt see any trucks out.

Offline Greenisthecolor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2020, 10:16 PM »
Drove on yesterday from Echo Bay. 19" inches where I measured in the bay, and 16-18 where I put my shack.  Lots of pike on camera, water had poor visibility.  One small pike on a tip-up but was a good first trip.

gman51

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:40 AM »
yes the visibility has been like that from freeze up in the places I've been also. should clear up as the season goes on.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2020, 02:46 PM »
Anyone out this weekend ?

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2020, 08:13 PM »
Was out last Monday. Good pike action. Drove out on 15 inch ice.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Anyone been out lately.

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2021, 06:40 AM »
I was out sat. Nice day. Slow fishing. A few eater pike. Trucks driving everywhere.

Offline tfm00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:54 PM »
Was out Saturday and Sunday morning, pretty slow.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:54 PM »
Okay thanks guys. I went out and got a few small pike as well. Super slow.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2021, 12:08 PM »
Anyone out on sleds today? Wondering if any shacks were damaged from the wind

Offline tfm00

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Was out on the weekend.  Didn't look like any damage.  The snow is even worse than it was before.  Snow on the ice is ice.  Fishing wasn't terrible Saturday afternoon but still slow.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:45 PM »
Thanks i was out saturday as well . Shack was okay 👌  fishing wasnt the best a few small pike lol

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:02 PM »
Hey guys just wondering if people are still able to drive on and how fishing has been for everyone. Thanks !!!

Offline cdn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2021, 10:57 AM »
I saw 2 trucks going across the lake Saturday afternoon.  Fishing has been slow lately.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2021, 11:41 AM »
Heading up to the cabin tomorrow for 5 days, hopefully have a good week and report.

gman51

« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:56 AM »
anything to report oldmanschild... snow conditions for driving...need sled ? ice thickness should be good. any fish active. thx.

Offline 1939

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:27 PM »
Lots of little mini hard packed drifts across the lake but still drivable as I seen numerous trucks out. 3’ of ice and fishing was slow. Just spent last week up there.

gman51

« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:53 AM »
excellent thx 1939.

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:38 AM »
sorry man i forgot to come back here, little late but i went up tues-sat, fishing wasnt stellar but i caught each time out. mostly the typical hammer handles, i did manage a coulpe walleye one evening. There was alot down there but wouldnt bite anything, then my camera stopped working so that was fn nice. Fished in 15 ft, shallower for jacks, all on rod not one flag..very weird. The ice thickness was about 3 inches from my motor. I also drove everywhere with my half ton. Seen dudes out the window fishing till like 2am on the sand hump..the burbs must of been snappin.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2021, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the report Oldman.  Where is the best spot to get a truck on big shell? 

Offline oldmanschild

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:09 PM »
im sure the launch in resort village down from beach is good, im on the other side so i was driving on at Aspen launch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.