Author Topic: Blackstrap 2017-2018  (Read 51761 times)

gman51

Re: Blackstrap 2017-2018
« Reply #210 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:17 PM »
Was out today south west side of the lake. Sat out in the basin and picked off a whole mess of perch wasn’t fishing for them at the start but started seeing enough marks to switch to the ultra lite rigging. Ended the night with a bunch of jumbos and more that were released and a couple smaller walleyes at the end also . Great day spent in the flip.

Offline Greenisthecolor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #211 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:46 PM »
Ripnflutter was that you in the flip up and white truck out from the boat launches?  I was the guy in the blue sierra.

gman51

« Reply #212 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:33 AM »
yes, across the lake.nice to meet you. definitely wasn't a hole hoping day. hope you get your auger working,and its almost time for the extension.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #213 on: Feb 02, 2018, 07:57 PM »
Everyone will be glad to know the fish didn't bite today.......so there is hope for tomorrow and Sunday.  All over the camera, but very few takers.

Good luck all on the weekend.  Taking tomorrow off and watching Super Bowl on Sunday.  Leave a few for us for next week.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #214 on: Feb 03, 2018, 01:38 PM »
hows driving around Evans road west side? Thinking of braving the weather in the am solo

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #215 on: Feb 03, 2018, 01:46 PM »
Both boat launches are clear sailing.  Didn't get blown in at all.  There are lot's of hard small snow drifts, but they are no problems.  Just get's bumpy if you drive to fast.  I was driving around in 2 wheel drive yesterday no problem. 

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #216 on: Feb 03, 2018, 04:53 PM »
Same for me yesterday. Only managed to land a couple and lost a few part way up. Mostly lookers and when they did bite it was very very light. Only consolation was the ones that I did manage to catch were jumbos.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline klem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #217 on: Feb 03, 2018, 07:05 PM »
The boys and I were out for the day hit a few areas that produced well in the last few outings. Ended the evening with our limit of walleyes to take home and some that we’re released. Some jumbo perch were also landed. Simple approach small jig and minnow with a stinger. Ran into a guy that was messing around with his transducer cable and he unplugged it from the head unit to clean the connection  but forgot to pull the ducer out of the hole and down the hole it went. The look on his face was priceless. Lol

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 04, 2018, 07:03 PM »
The boys and I were out for the day hit a few areas that produced well in the last few outings. Ended the evening with our limit of walleyes to take home and some that we’re released. Some jumbo perch were also landed. Simple approach small jig and minnow with a stinger. Ran into a guy that was messing around with his transducer cable and he unplugged it from the head unit to clean the connection  but forgot to pull the ducer out of the hole and down the hole it went. The look on his face was priceless. Lol

Ouch! ;(
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #219 on: Feb 04, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Well I stayed at home with the thermostat set at 72 F.......for you young folks that's 22.2222 C.

Talked to a few people that were out today, and it seems I caught as many sitting at home :)

Still slow out there guy's?

I got a nice long net if someone has a ice jigger. 

gman51

« Reply #220 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:31 AM »
fished 4 hrs yesterday afternoon south west side of the lake again. same area as before. marked quite a few again starting around 330 but nothing committing. then from 430 til 6  picked up a handful of jumbos. but nothing compared to the last time out in that same area.

Offline Greenisthecolor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #221 on: Feb 05, 2018, 06:05 PM »
I was out Saturday from 1-630.  Saw a ton of fish on camera but couldn't get much commitment other than a few nibbles.  Ended up with one small Walleye and a Jumbo perch that got off in the hole.  Hopefully the bite picks up soon!!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #222 on: Feb 05, 2018, 07:57 PM »
I was out myself from 12:45 to 5 today.  Ended up with 4 jumbos.  I tried 5 different places on both sides of Evans road, East side West side.  Was just interested in trying different spots today.  It was actually really nice out without any wind.  Of the spots I tried I can't recommend any of them.....lol.

One thing I noticed when cleaning the fish, is that their stomaches were completely empty, and no blood worms in their mouth.  So you would think they are going to have to feed soon.  Going to give in another try Wed, but might start at the North end by our shack and move to the South side for the afternoon.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:41 AM »
fished Sunday between two shacks on the west side of Evans road.. between 9am and 1 pm..don't judge, it was -41 with the wind chill.. I didn't feel like searching too much..!
seen one tiny perch.. not sure what to think, wrong time of day??

also, is there another access on to the lake from the west side, I didn't realize they closed the road, so we were delayed a bit having to go back to the boat launch..

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #224 on: Feb 06, 2018, 06:28 PM »
There is no access on the south part of the lake from the west side unless you have friends in Skyview.

gman51

« Reply #225 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:19 AM »
There is no access on the south part of the lake from the west side unless you have friends in Skyview.
  i see vehicles all the time driving around that first house on the south side of the road at the top of the hill then getting on going through the marina. never been myself and not to sure how its been lately with the snow and the wind drifts.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Went out today and didn't get started until 10:15 a.m.  Started in our shack on the North end and were going to wait until it warmed up before we drilled a bunch of holes outside and move around.  Didn't happen....the wind was terrible and he just stayed in the shack until 2 p.m.  We only caught 1 fish.....yes, you read right......1 fish.  So we said to hell with it and came home.  We were going to try the South side were the jumbos seem to be, but with the wind/cold, we again said to hell with it.

We have our shack at the North end of Shields out towards the middle of the lake.  There are a number of shacks in the area, and a month ago to 6 weeks the fishing was decent, with only a few jumbos mixed in with the little ones.  The South side has produced less fish, but they all seem to be jumbos at least.

Thinking of taking up a secondary winter hobby......anyone know of any tiddlywinks clubs or tournaments  a guy can get into????

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:52 AM »
  i see vehicles all the time driving around that first house on the south side of the road at the top of the hill then getting on going through the marina. never been myself and not to sure how its been lately with the snow and the wind drifts.

I stand corrected!

Not sure the people that closed that access at Evans road would appreciate people using that access?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Feb 10, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Went out today and didn't get started until 10:15 a.m.  Started in our shack on the North end and were going to wait until it warmed up before we drilled a bunch of holes outside and move around.  Didn't happen....the wind was terrible and he just stayed in the shack until 2 p.m.  We only caught 1 fish.....yes, you read right......1 fish.  So we said to hell with it and came home.  We were going to try the South side were the jumbos seem to be, but with the wind/cold, we again said to hell with it.

We have our shack at the North end of Shields out towards the middle of the lake.  There are a number of shacks in the area, and a month ago to 6 weeks the fishing was decent, with only a few jumbos mixed in with the little ones.  The South side has produced less fish, but they all seem to be jumbos at least.

Thinking of taking up a secondary winter hobby......anyone know of any tiddlywinks clubs or tournaments  a guy can get into????

My wife tells me cleaning the oven is a lot of fun...

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #229 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:32 AM »
It used to be fun, but my wife said we had to spend a lot of money and buy one with self cleaning oven....so she robbed me of that fun a long time ago.  :-\

Offline gibsons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #230 on: Feb 10, 2018, 11:09 PM »
Moved my shack yesterday afternoon on evans rd and gave it a try today with no luck. Seen a couple white fish around noon, and a few perch later on. Sounded the same from others I talked with, oh well, try again tomorrow.

gman51

« Reply #231 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:48 AM »
sounds like a dead zone out there.. its been a week for myself since any holes have been cut.  going to head out for the afternoon/ evening today try a few areas.

gman51

« Reply #232 on: Feb 11, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I stand corrected!

Not sure the people that closed that access at Evans road would appreciate people using that access?
  i think the ones that are using that access really don't care if they appreciate it or not. after closing it off to the public.   

gman51

« Reply #233 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:02 AM »
sounds like a dead zone out there.. its been a week for myself since any holes have been cut.  going to head out for the afternoon/ evening today try a few areas.
   it was confirmed yesterday for me... dead zone. tried a few areas yesterday not a whole bunch of lookers no takers.

Offline gibsons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #234 on: Feb 12, 2018, 07:33 AM »
Both Saturday and Sunday only a couple white fish on the camera

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #235 on: Feb 12, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Well don't get disappointed guys and gals.  Sounds like the fishing on Dief and LML is very very slow also.  We all know Feb is the worst month for hard water fishing.  This is making the slow Dec/Jan look like the fish were jumping out of the holes onto the ice.  March is going to really have to produce to make us forget about Dec/Jan/Feb.  Heres hoping.

Bought a $40 roast (on sale), for supper last night.  My wife said..."at least it was cheaper then the one fish you caught last time out".  With the very slow fishing and smart ass comments (by my wife....I should say, by THE wife...she hates people saying, The wife..just in case she reads this post), I am getting a little frustrated.

Let's all hope March is going to be our typical March fishing, so I don't have to buy any more...." cheap roasts".

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:14 PM »
Only 82 days left.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #237 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:13 PM »
can you access the lake at the far south end off the highway? or must you use the boat launch and drive..?

Offline gibsons

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #238 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Boat launch

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #239 on: Feb 12, 2018, 04:33 PM »
From the look of it during the warmer seasons, one may be able to break a trail to the ice at the exact southern tip through the reeds. No one has done that yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.