Author Topic: Northern Ice Fishing resorts  (Read 2439 times)

Offline bmsb21

• IceShanty Rookie
Northern Ice Fishing resorts
« on: Dec 11, 2015, 11:30 AM »
Hey Eveyone,
My buddy is turning 30 this year and being a ice fishing junkie me and about 8 other friends would love to take him on a good northern ice fishing experience. I know I can google a bunch of northern resorts but I would love some personal reviews/advice that anybody can give me thanks!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: Northern Ice Fishing resorts
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2015, 12:44 PM »
define northern?. Absolutely not trying to be rude about this but some people consider Waskesiu northern. When truly going north you are going to be limited to snowmobile travel, is this something you are prepared for?. Also, do you have any preferences of species, size etc?.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline bmsb21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:20 PM »
Point Taken! When I mean north I mean anything north of La Ronge /reindeer lake, pelican narrows etc.   to the point of no return, one road in one road out type thing specie's can be walleye jack trout you name it. Pretty well anything off the beaten path.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Might be tough finding much north of La Ronge in the winter. One place is Otter Lake. The lodge there is open year round and has some pretty decent cabins for rent. After that would be Brabant, but I don't know what they offer for cabins in the winter.
Another choice would be Deschambeault. A couple choices of accommodations there plus pretty good fishing opportunities.

Offline bmsb21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Great thanks for the tips sandman!

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2015, 09:48 PM »
I'm assuming you will have snowmobiles. Another place to consider, although not super north is Besnard. Pretty sure they have year round places, and lots of lakes to explore in the area.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2015, 02:48 PM »
 anyone stay at otter lake in the winter?  just wondering if the fishing is good enough on the lake to just head out there or do guys sled out to different lakes?  would love to see nistowiak in the winter time.

Offline Northern Pikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I would talk to the outfitter for areas that are safe to travel. It is on the Churchill River and with the weather we've had it isn't safe travelling yet. There is some good walleye fishing on lakes close to Otter. There are some stocked trout lakes along the road that can be fished as well.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:46 AM »
I can tell you that yes they are open. The only real safe place to ice fish there until later in he year is the bay at the boat launch. Mainly you will only catch jack in there however. Every year I have ice fished there you need knee high water proofs. Snow builds up and the rushing water from the rapids turns the bottom foot of snow to slush. It is not the best place to go ice fishing.  If you want an Awesome experience ice fishing the north, go to lac laplonge. Lake trout heaven. But call up there first. There are good times to go and not so good. I believe anglers trail resort is the one with the shacks for rent etc...... Hope hat helps!

Jig on
Jig on!

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2015, 03:24 PM »
The next time I get a chance I'll have to ask my uncle about otter lake as he's half owner of a lodge up there.

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2015, 03:28 PM »
I will be fishing at Ile-A-La Crosse this holiday season, I know there is very good ice fishing to be had there.. I'm just not sure if there are guide services available. Peter Pond also has incredible fishing.

Offline LUNKERONZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIG ON!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:23 PM »
Which place does your uncle part own?
Jig on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.