Author Topic: Jiffy Stealth  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
Jiffy Stealth
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:22 PM »
We got our Stealth 3hp STX last year and have been having problems with it dying on us when we are drilling holes out on the ice.  I figured it was probably a carb adjustment that needed to be made, checked the owner's manuel and didn't find the info on correct carb settings.  Also not on the Jiffy website. 
The fuel mixture is correct...any suggestions?
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
Re: Jiffy Stealth
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:06 PM »
mine is a Jiffy 30.  I always had problems while drilling until I adjusted the 2 screws on the lower part of the carb.  One is a low speed adjustment screw and the other a high speed adjustment screw.  I propped the auger up with the auger blade on and started it.  I adjusted the low speed screw so it ran continuous and then rev-ed her up and adjust the high speed adjustment screw till she hit high rpm by sound.  I call it sound tuning.  It has run dynamite since.  I found the info below at the Jiffy web site.

If you go to http://www.jiffyonice.com/manual.htm then click on the >> 30 Series Manual << (PDF 753 KB) requires Adobe Acrobat Reader it will open a PDF that will have all info that maybe came with the owners manual.  Check it and see if it helps.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Thanks for the help, I just got back from the garage and it seems to be running quite a bit better.  Can't wait to get back on the ice and give it a run!   :tipup:
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:14 PM »
i love this site! better service than the small engine shop.And fast ;D

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Had the same problem with a 3hp new out of the box last week. 

Threw away the red caps on adjustment screws and adjusted.  Did it on the lake and good thing because running it on its cover was alright but had to adjust it for max power when cutting through the ice ( under load). 

Took about an hour by myself (two people would have been quicker!).

Not too impressed with jiffy seems lots of people having this trouble out of the box.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:47 PM »
Opening the vent on the fuel cap ?

Offline fishinhard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:42 PM »
Yes .

It seems they have the carburetor adjusted for a seriously different altitude?

Offline weirzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:28 PM »
we had the same issue... my understanding is that they are made in california....obviousl y a slightly different climate then ours, so they take abit of tuning
<'}\\\\\\\\><

Offline iceberg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:02 PM »
I agree, this info is great, at least I have a place to start to find out what is wrong with mine.  It would run for a few seconds then dye out just like it was burning the fuel in the carb, pump some more, run again and so on.... until I pulled the cord right out of the thing,  now I have another problem and still have not solved the first but at least I have something to start on.. thanks again.. good fishin
I'll have mine on ice.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I have the jiffy 3 hp as well. After I start it, always easy to start, it likes to die out due to lack of fuel. I then pump the primer maybe once or twice depending on how cold it is, just enough to keep it running while it's warming up. I do leave my idle set relatively high. Once the exhaust has a real crack to it, it's time to drill holes. Always run the carb dry before storage or at least use a stabilizer. Had my jiffy for 20 years now, still running strong on original plug. F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.