The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Keep what's yours  (Read 2589 times)

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Keep what's yours
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Hi all. I'm compelled to share a few tips for everyone to think about this season. Not everyone is honest and respectable... no really ::).. every year thousand of dollars worth of fishing equipment is stolen and with the opiate addiction  plaguing Vermont petty larssony is a far too common occurrence.

A few things to consider to help keep what's yours.

From the house to the ice.. if you stop for fuel, bait etc., leave someone that can have eyes on your vehicle at all times. It's too easy for someone to "grab and go" with unsecured items in an open truck bed.

At the access, if you meet up with fishing partners and you have duplicate equipment that you don't need duplicate of, take it out with you anyway.

If you leave items in your locked vehicle.... which is not advised, try to have it out of sight.. consider covering items with a blanket ot garmet .

If you have ATV ramps, secure them to the vehicle with a lock and chain. No lock and chain?,  place the ramps on the ground and drive on to them. Also consider putting a lock on your receiver hitch.

Don't leave anything you don't want missing in permanent shanties... and if you don't want your shanty door kicked in leave it unlocked and empty.

If you see suspicious activity at access areas report it immediately to the police.. I don't advise confronting the person... get as much detail as possible... plate numbers are good but dont always accurately represent the vehicle they are currently on.  Get make model and approximate year. Color, unique identifiers such as body damage, bumper stickers, and aftermarket accessories. Make note of suspicious persons approximate age, sex, race, hair and eye color, scares, marks and tattoos if possible.

Hope everyone has a safe and secure  hard water season.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Keep what's yours
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips 1023ice! I was just telling my Mom my idea to build a raised platform in the trunk of my car that I can hide fishing equipment under when I am going to UVM next year. I never know when I may have some free time to head down to the lake or the salmon hole for some stress relief on the water and I will want to have a rod and some of my precious tackle on hand at all times. It is a college campus in Burlington, so car break ins are not unheard of and it's difficult to hide a fishing rod from a thief on the prowl. I will definitely have  to build something like that now that you mention this growing problem.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:58 PM »
Pb your going to uvm nice you going for f&w? I went to Paul smiths for fish and wildlife ( never got to finish but I looked at uvm as well just couldn't afford to go to uvm) both are great schools and I never leave my gear out of my sight my fl8 is my baby lol
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I got a truck cover for that reason. I can lock the tail gate, and you cant see what's inside like in a cap. I was stationed in San Diego for 6 years, so I know all about not leaving anything in your car. People would get there windows smashed out for leaving cigarettes on the seat, or even a car charger in site. I also always conceal carry when I ice fish, because you never know what can go on when you're out in the middle of no where.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Pb your going to uvm nice you going for f&w? I went to Paul smiths for fish and wildlife ( never got to finish but I looked at uvm as well just couldn't afford to go to uvm) both are great schools and I never leave my gear out of my sight my fl8 is my baby lol

Just got word that I was accepted to UVM on Thursday! Planning on majoring in Environmental Science, but that is subject to change. Hopefully I will be able to get a job with a Fish and Wildlife agency. I didn't really feel the need to look any further than UVM in my college search since I can save a bundle of money by staying at home and they have an excellent school for natural resources and environmental degrees! Also, I still get to fish all of my favorite honey holes.  ;)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:

Offline DirtyDan23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:09 PM »
Just got word that I was accepted to UVM on Thursday! Planning on majoring in Environmental Science, but that is subject to change. Hopefully I will be able to get a job with a Fish and Wildlife agency. I didn't really feel the need to look any further than UVM in my college search since I can save a bundle of money by staying at home and they have an excellent school for natural resources and environmental degrees! Also, I still get to fish all of my favorite honey holes.  ;)

Congrats Bud! Im currently in the Rubenstein School at UVM and its been amazing. The Wildlife Fisheries Biology program has also been a lot of fun, and I would highly recommend checking it out! Good luck to you and tight lines!

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Nice work PB! I’m a rubenstein school environmental sciences BS and MS graduate, excellent program. The fisheries program is also very strong and many of my friends who went through it are having successful careers.

Congrats Bud! Im currently in the Rubenstein School at UVM and its been amazing. The Wildlife Fisheries Biology program has also been a lot of fun, and I would highly recommend checking it out! Good luck to you and tight lines!

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:27 PM »
Just got word that I was accepted to UVM on Thursday! Planning on majoring in Environmental Science, but that is subject to change. Hopefully I will be able to get a job with a Fish and Wildlife agency. I didn't really feel the need to look any further than UVM in my college search since I can save a bundle of money by staying at home and they have an excellent school for natural resources and environmental degrees! Also, I still get to fish all of my favorite honey holes.

Congratulations!  I am a '91 grad of the UVM School of Natural Resources (back before it was the Rubenstein School).  I really got into ice fishing in those days - cheap entertainment that included beer (not that you should be thinking about beer).  Great winter days fishing on Shelburne Bay and up at the Sandbar with friends while the "rich kids" were skiing at Stowe and Sugarbush.   Deer hunted in Maine and later Colorado with a great college friend.  Also competed on the UVM timbersports team - fun road trips to U. Maine and McGill and hanging around campfires with like-minded outdoors folk.   A forestry degree led to a job with the U.S. Forest Service in Middlebury where I met my wonderful wife of 25 years - she was fisheries biologist.  I moved out of the natural resources field in about '96 but the education I got at UVM has served me well. 

Have fun!

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 05:26 AM »
". I also always conceal carry when I ice fish, because you never know what can go on when you're out in the middle of no where."
[/quote]

Interesting you say that ..a friend of mine was filling buckets of yellow perch a couple years back while fishing alone. A group of three guys keeps working their way closer to him.. they were not catching much and my friend could hear them discussing the amount he had.. the conversation of the three individuals then turned to how they should take his catch to include following him back to shore when he leaves and take the fish and his equipment.  My friend waited until he could see other people at the access and left the ice for his truck without incident...

Granted I'm not saying anyone should use deadly force in this state to protect their property.... but to protect your life.... you decide.

Offline Pikeplucker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2017, 07:46 AM »

CONGRATS MAN Great program. I too am  Rubenstein Alum.  Take any course taught by Elen Marsden that you can before she retires.  Her knowledge of Champlain species and ecosystems is unmatched and she will get you out physically on the water.  Courses with Breck (William) Bowden will show you some pretty intricate water ecosystems that may help you pick new fishing spots.  Don't let the math and chemistry scare you for an enviro sci major.  They were my worst subjects (failures and re-takes) now I'm a chemical engineer that fishes on his lunch breaks.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2017, 08:24 AM »
CONGRATS MAN Great program. I too am  Rubenstein Alum.  Take any course taught by Elen Marsden that you can before she retires.  Her knowledge of Champlain species and ecosystems is unmatched and she will get you out physically on the water.  Courses with Breck (William) Bowden will show you some pretty intricate water ecosystems that may help you pick new fishing spots.  Don't let the math and chemistry scare you for an enviro sci major.  They were my worst subjects (failures and re-takes) now I'm a chemical engineer that fishes on his lunch breaks.
Sure thing Pikeplucker, thanks for the pointers! As for the math, I'm glad to hear that this major has quite a bit in it, as math is one of my favorite subjects. I can't believe how many of my fellow ice anglers are Rubenstein School Alumni! Sounds like a made a good choice in a strong program. Thanks for the kind words everyone.   :)

Offline bradroy55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Sure thing Pikeplucker, thanks for the pointers! As for the math, I'm glad to hear that this major has quite a bit in it, as math is one of my favorite subjects. I can't believe how many of my fellow ice anglers are Rubenstein School Alumni! Sounds like a made a good choice in a strong program. Thanks for the kind words everyone.   :)

I too am a graduate (2016) of the Rubenstein School F&W Bio program and currently work down at the Rubenstein Lab on the waterfront as the R/V Melosira Deckhand. Feel free to drop me a message or stop by the lab to check things out if you are interested in what we have to offer down here or have any questions!

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Glad you got into the school you wanted PB.. might consider starting a thread about schools and how young people will learn and contribute to the future fishery in VT

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:05 PM »
No offense to the vt fishery but I have to say I think nys fishery is better than vt once again this is an Opinion and not a statement of fact
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:31 PM »
No offense to the vt fishery but I have to say I think nys fishery is better than vt once again this is an Opinion and not a statement of fact
Ah!  But think what input we will in the Champlain Valley fishery when PB moves his way up the ladder to have a major input in  fisheries management ;D   
Dick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Congrats Jacob.  I had wanted to pursue that when I was your age and have friends in that field.  Granted...I do love what I do for work. 

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:09 PM »
And go ahead and leave your equipment in your vehicle and when it's stolen complain why the cops haven't done anything about getting it back

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:21 PM »
I leave all sorts of stuff in my car, including my fishing gear.  I have for 25 years.  I know I might regret it someday, but I've never had a break in.  I guess I value my feeling that Vermont is safe more than I value my gear. 

Edit:  I'm not saying this is rational or encouraging anyone to do it.  Just offering my happy perspective.

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Yeah... I'm glad you haven't had a problem.. I believed in Vermont once too.. I hate having to think about someone ripping my equipment off... times are changing ... as they do.. so what classes did you take in college?? I guess this is about college ... not ice fishing  or related issues...hence my original posting..

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Congrats on being accepted to UVM. I graduated from there in '14 with a degree in forestry. They've got a good environmental school.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Congrats PB.
Hope there's ice at the waterfront this season so you don't have far to get to some fishing action.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Congrats PB - One of mine went to UVM and had a great experience.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2017, 06:52 PM »
". I also always conceal carry when I ice fish, because you never know what can go on when you're out in the middle of no where."

Interesting you say that ..a friend of mine was filling buckets of yellow perch a couple years back while fishing alone. A group of three guys keeps working their way closer to him.. they were not catching much and my friend could hear them discussing the amount he had.. the conversation of the three individuals then turned to how they should take his catch to include following him back to shore when he leaves and take the fish and his equipment.  My friend waited until he could see other people at the access and left the ice for his truck without incident...

Granted I'm not saying anyone should use deadly force in this state to protect their property.... but to protect your life.... you decide.

Ive dealt with some weird folks while camping on champlain.  I've found if you access in a local spot one away from the crowds...your car will be quickly checked out and they look around to see where you are on the ice.  Its somewhat disconserting but its not just a VT issue. Thing is where ever there is a problem with drugs you better pay attention to your stuff.  I fish the cape cod canal a lot. The drug epidemic down there is well known ...it used to be we'd leave some gear at our bikes...a spare setup, maybe an extra plug bag.  Not anymore. Day or night.   

I don't conceal on the ice.  If I felt that was a requirement for a particular spot I won't fish there. 

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2017, 07:11 PM »
I don’t conceal as well. If you need fish so desperately that you need to assault someone on the ice or in the lot, you need it more than me and you can have them without the struggle

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:33 AM »
I guess I could go fishing armed, but I'd rather things didn't go that way. Were I to carry though it would be on my hip- that way any no-goodniks nearby would think twice before doing things.

I think, though that I'd just stop going if things ever got to where I felt I had to be packing in order to keep my catch or my gear.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline 1023ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:05 PM »
Just trying to remind everyone to keep an eye on their property and souroundings ... you are nieave if you think that everyone is as good and honest as you.. not saying that ice fishing has become a dangerous sport and everyone should carry... by no means would deadly force be justified in this state because someone wanted your pail of perch and your auger... and  my friend that had the issue never thought it would occur to him or where he was... safe fishing everyone ... soooo looking forward to that first Saturday night fish fry!!

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2017, 05:14 PM »
After living in California for 6 years, its hard to get out of the habit of carrying everywhere I go. I felt safer in Afghanistan than in that state. People think guns equals deadly force, but it doesn't. 90% of the time, that person see's the gun and they'll leave you alone. I've actually never had a loaded weapon while carrying.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:58 AM »
I pull everything into the shanty with me so they'd need to come inside to steal anything and I'm a big ugly dude.

Just be big and ugly and no one bothers you.  ;D
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.