The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion Alpha Gen3 in da fish house  (Read 5653 times)

Van Noord

Ion Alpha Gen3 in da fish house
« on: Nov 01, 2022, 08:39 PM »
Ok, well not yet exactly lol.
But it is in my actual house!

I sold my Gen1 IonX and picked up the new Gen3 Ion Alpha Plus 10" on Oct 27th.

So far I'm really impressed with the design and build quality.

Initial observations:

- Very light obviously, so light that when you remove the blade cover..it feels even lighter!

- This is Ion's first time abandoning the wide, bicycle handlebar design. The replaced it with a more square handle and frame design very reminiscent of SM. A wise choice IMO.

- All the electronics are positioned on the throttle side of the handles only. Good design and likely easy for repairs.

- Has a variable trigger, so it's not 0-60 immediately if you don't want it to.

- Uses the same locking type switch to secure the battery as the G2. Seems to function okay with a slight bit of battery wobble. Time will tell as this design is new to me.

- The aluminum frame that the handlebars attach to it's very nice and rigid. It even extended past the handles for impact resistance. The snowmobile guys are going to love this feature.

- The top logo portion of the auger as well as the handles are made of a tough rubber.

- Has a small hex key storage attachment on the power head.

- Compatible with all Gen1 batteries and accessories.

- The reverse switch is simply located above the throttle button.

- Has new Ion "Turbo" blades. These are designed and sharpened at a different pitch/angle and are said to help the auger cut faster and more efficiently.

I also have an 8" Ultra light bit for it. Here is a photo of the 10" next to my 8" 24v SM.

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ion Alpha Gen3 in da fish house
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2022, 10:54 AM »
Interested to hear how this works for you this year. I went the SM route due to their handle design looking more robust.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2022, 10:56 AM »
I checked out the new Alpha series at Scheels and cant say I was super impressed. I definitely prefer the ergonomics of G2 over G3

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2022, 11:52 AM »
makes sense to me:) Looking forward to updates on how the G3 works for you VN.

Offline fishingaddiction

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2022, 06:01 PM »
Ha! I just posted questions about this new auger... how do you think the bit construction compares to the gen 1? Is it tougher?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2022, 09:12 AM »
The new centering rings are composite. Going on my third year with the 10' G2, no issues.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2022, 01:30 PM »
I've used the Gen2 for a couple of seasons, and had no problems with it. Biggest issues with electric for me has always been cold sucking the juice out of them and we fish long days from before sunrise, to 8-10 pm every day, so I had 3 batteries to make sure I lasted all day. Chancey had a new Gen3 Alpha Plus in his shop. When I saw the word "Turbo" and plus, my credit card was drawn quicker than a six shooter! Tim Taylor was always my hero! So I gave the Gen2 to my brother and I'll test the Gen 3 this winter.     

Offline WYcoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2022, 12:29 AM »
A 10 pound weight savings compared to my Eskimo Rocket P1 propane auger was something I could not resist.

I snagged one too, the 10"model. And a spare battery.

Wow, does it ever feel light.

Like the ergos and build quality.

Haven't hit the ice with it yet. Will have to see how it goes. Hoping it is durable.

Did I mention it is really light?

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2022, 09:11 AM »
I've used the Gen2 for a couple of seasons, and had no problems with it. Biggest issues with electric for me has always been cold sucking the juice out of them and we fish long days from before sunrise, to 8-10 pm every day, so I had 3 batteries to make sure I lasted all day. Chancey had a new Gen3 Alpha Plus in his shop. When I saw the word "Turbo" and plus, my credit card was drawn quicker than a six shooter! Tim Taylor was always my hero! So I gave the Gen2 to my brother and I'll test the Gen 3 this winter.   

If John doesn't like the Gen2, I know somebody that could use a donation......... ;D
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:13 PM »
The variable speed alone has me highly considering ditching my Gen2, which I've had zero issues with. Another feature that's a game changer for us wheelhouse guys, and all the other companies will be copying.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline aza10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2022, 10:32 PM »
I really like my G2... I do like the idea of the variable speed and the bar over the battery.  I can definitely see the need to upgrade over the G1. 

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2022, 10:04 AM »
I picked up a Gen 3 Alpha + 8" a few weeks ago, decided to upgrade after using a drill setup the last 2 years.  Glad I did, this thing rips.  Was on 8-10" of ice last weekend, drilled close to 100 holes over 2 days.  Battery only went down one bar, no issues even after leaving it outside Saturday night.  Drills fast and easy. 

Only drawbacks for me - little bulkier than a drill setup, so it doesn't fit as well in my sled.  The half second delay after hitting the trigger takes some getting used to.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2022, 07:28 PM »
I broke down and picked one up today, the 10" Alpha +.  The handles are two inches narrower than my Gen2, which is now on Craigslist btw. I also see they don't even sell the 6AH batteries anymore, even for the G2, which is what it came with.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Homewrecker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Thanks for posting this info. I am a senior now and now that I am not working anymore I find my self going crazing and need to get back out there ice fishing . Just picked up a tent and this new Ion has got my  interest .  Not only is it light but its got the reverse I heard is great for sending the slush under the ice so you do not have to scope as much. 
Can anyone confirm  if it does push the ice under the ice and out of the way ?
I also read a review on a cabelas site where the centre pin stripped out of the plastic female tread .
I hate for this to happen out on the ice . Do you think its one in a hundred chance this will happen .
I wonder if its a standard  female tread that one can Heli coil it !
Homewrecker (Boats Name)

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2023, 10:33 PM »
... its got the reverse I heard is great for sending the slush under the ice so you do not have to scope as much. 
Can anyone confirm  if it does push the ice under the ice and out of the way ? ...

You want to be sure the auger spins fast enough to flush slush down through the hole without binding the flighting in the hole. That gets more difficult the thicker the ice gets, and noticeably so starting about 2 feet of ice.

I came across this a few years ago. Someone's auger stuck in the ice ... was hack-sawed off and wisely marked with big bright orange jugs. Ice was over three feet thick. Would have been interesting to see them remove their hardside shack off that.

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2023, 07:41 PM »

Van Noord, are you kicking your 24v to the curb? I’m over mine also. Hate it.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2023, 12:40 PM »
A friend bought one last year, 10 incher in 24 inches of ice he gets maybe 4 holes on a full charge. With the 8 inch auger he gets 10.  Our friend with his k drill ended up having to drill holes for us. 
olefish

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2023, 01:26 PM »
Sounds like he needs to charge his batteries

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2023, 09:21 PM »
Had my 24v out for it's inaugural run today. 15 holes through 18 inches of very mixed-quality ice had me down 2/3 bars. Should have tested out to see how many more the last bar would get me, but the lake was slicker 'n snot and I forgot my cleats. Auger trying to spin me around it like a cartoon, and eventually I found the fish anyway.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Wouldn't have drilled that many holes by hand, I know. I'll pick up a spare battery for sure, but wow it drilled a lot faster than I was expecting, and so easy. That 8" lite-flite is impressive.

And best of all I was still able to pack it in my jet sled Jr nex to my milk crates, and so light I would have carried or dragged it all day long and barely felt it.

I know it's going to be inadequate for 20+ inches and dozens upon dozens of holes, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, for me, it's perfect
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2023, 04:18 PM »
I know this post is old, but I've had a good chance to use the Alpha + and gotta say it' my favorite since my first power auger back in 89! We drilled a lot of holes last weekend through 28" of solid ice with 13" of snow/frozen snow on top and it cut faster than the Ion Gen 2, Strikemaster 24V, and Jiffy Electrics that the other guys had by a lot. Battery life was great, and never used more than one battery. We didn't hole-hop by any means, but it was excellent for everything we needed. Kind of thinking I should have saved that extra +$200 I paid for the spare battery!

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2023, 09:08 AM »
seriously thinking about the + just for the efficiency  due to the speed....

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2023, 02:15 PM »
seriously thinking about the + just for the efficiency  due to the speed....
I'm pretty sure you won't regret it. I'm done buying augers now. It's kind of like Livescope. My older version LVS32 is awesome, how much better do I need? Why would I need to upgrade to the LVS34 when that "old" LVS32 is way good enough? This Alpha + is gonna get it done for a long time to come for me.

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2023, 03:58 PM »
Leaning towards it hard now but getting forced into it. I had to swap the controller in my Gen2 and I just had a 6ah battery die and I think the other one I have is failing too.  I called and they sent me a replacement BUT its a 4ah battery. GRRRRR!!! Gal I talked to said they have been having issues with those batteries. I know im going to end up pissed when I call them back and tell them I want a 6ah battery not a 4 and i bet they will tell me they dont have 6ah batteries any more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.