The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wayfarers Park (Flathead Lake)  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
Wayfarers Park (Flathead Lake)
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Anybody been fishing down there off shore?  I'm thinking about going out tomarrow off shore I heard they are catching them.
donwoudoorsdotcom

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Wayfarers Park (Flathead Lake)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:31 PM »
did you do any good?
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I got to Wayfarers at about 10 am and fished from shore.  I used set bait and spoons and never got a bite.  I don't know if I could not cast far enough or what. I then went to the West Shore and tried by the cliffs and still didn't catch anything.  So I went to LMR and had a couple bites but nothing.  It was a tough day of fishing for sure.  I saw a lot of people in boats though so the fish must be hitting.
donwoudoorsdotcom

Offline gweg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I got to Wayfarers at about 10 am and fished from shore.  I used set bait and spoons and never got a bite.  I don't know if I could not cast far enough or what. I then went to the West Shore and tried by the cliffs and still didn't catch anything.  So I went to LMR and had a couple bites but nothing.  It was a tough day of fishing for sure.  I saw a lot of people in boats though so the fish must be hitting.

We went out Yesterday in a boat (2 of us) and picked up 29 keeper macks in about 6 hours jigging from 11.30 till 5.30.  None to big most of them about 20 inches.  Lots of  chop on the water and the fishing was hot than later it calmed and the fishing cooled way off til just before dark started to show.

Every rough day on the lake is better than any day at work!!!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Bigger macks being caught off painted rocks and trolling the 180' depth north of painted rocks.  Also, center bar area.  M2SP (now called Mag Lip) flatfish in white or glow working well.  Jigging around Angel point is pretty good now too.

For regular reports on Flathead mack fishing go to mofisch.com and click on fishing reports.  That page is updated 2-3 times a week.
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Its kind of shallow right out from Wayfarers. That whole bay isn't very deep. It gets deeper as you go around the corner(south), but by the time it really drops off, you're on private land. The place I would try and cast from is the docks at Blue Bay. I've seen people catch them off the Polson docks, and I was watching a thing on ice fishing this morning, and they said the lake trout like perch in the winter on the flats because it is the only time the perch can be caught by them. I say this because Polson bay is more or less a flat.
I do have a question for those in the know about the Wayfarers area. I was fishing Fall mack days, and Wayfarers was one spot we could fish without getting blown around(usually we fish around Gravel Bay) and I lost at least 5 lures in about 30 minutes trolling south of wayfarers. We were in 70-80 ft of water, and I couldn't have been more that 50-60 ft down. Is there some huge stucture in that little bay just south of wayfarers where the houses start?  I was using leaded line so I know what my depth was pretty acurately. Call it paranoia, but since it happened so much, I wondered if maybe the people with the big houses put something out so that people got snagged up and didn't come back and ruin the view.

Offline Aaron072

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2010, 08:21 AM »
went out friday night just north of elmo on shore and landed a couple of bruisers if i knew how to get pics of my phone i'd post them smallest was 29 1/2 inches and 6lbs 10 oz
is it wrong to be turned on by an icehole?

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Glad to hear it Aaron! I'm getting everything in order for the trip in April. These fishing reports are getting me excited to get up there and catch a few Lakers. Post the pics if you can!
Fish Ninja

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.