Author Topic: Moving to Peoria - have some downsizing/moving questions.  (Read 3322 times)

Offline IdahoSkies

• IceShanty Rookie
I just accepted a new job that will move me from Idaho to Peoria. In making the move our family needs to down size our stuff. I have a pop up shack, heater, rods, auger, etc. I've been to Illinois but never during the winter and definitely don't know the ice fishing scene there. I'm used to fishing high mountain lakes. So I'm looking for some "what to expect" but more importantly, what stuff is a must have that is worth moving with, and what stuff should I downsize?

Thanks.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Moving to Peoria - have some downsizing/moving questions.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2023, 03:01 PM »
You are about 2 hours South of me, I do know some people in that area who fish some of the bigger lakes. It seems like the season there starts and ends a couple weeks short of ours. So in general, Mid-end of December to early-mid March, but can be earlier or later depending on the year.
It will be rare to see anyone driving a full sized vehicle on the ice. Probably very few quads/snowmobiles down there too, I'd imagine most everyone is on foot like they are here. I wouldn't downsize anything unless weight is a concern. Probably won't need your heater as much, but will find days you'll want it, especially if you fish at night or daybreak. Regular portable buddy, or even a little buddy is enough unless you have a huge shelter. Don't see many diesel heaters here, or anyone lugging the big 20lb grill propane size tanks.
You should still get enough ice that an electric or gas auger would be nice, but could get away with a hand auger for a lot of the season. If you have a really warm ice suit, like the Hardwater, it might be too much, something lighter might be better.
If anything, you could just bring everything down, try it out, and sell off what you don't need when you are down here. Lots of people make trips up to MN and will buy used gear, I've sold a couple gas augers to people doing just that.

Offline IdahoSkies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2023, 01:58 PM »
Thank you. That is very helpful and gives me some direction. Really appreciate it.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2023, 04:37 PM »
I'm on the opposite side of the state, but at the same latitude as Peoria.

Seasons are extremely variable in duration compared to living up north or at higher elevation. I'm originally from northern MN, myself.

This past winter there were about 8-10 days of walkable ice for the entire season. Some years you may get 4-6 solid weeks, occasionally there may not be ice at all 🤷‍♂️ "Average" is early/mid January into early/mid Feburary fishable ice.

Be prepared for wind... it's pretty much always windy; calm days are the exception, not the rule. Not gale force stuff, but there's a stiff breeze most days.

Offline bassnbud8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Aug 05, 2023, 10:23 PM »
I just accepted a new job that will move me from Idaho to Peoria. In making the move our family needs to down size our stuff. I have a pop up shack, heater, rods, auger, etc. I've been to Illinois but never during the winter and definitely don't know the ice fishing scene there. I'm used to fishing high mountain lakes. So I'm looking for some "what to expect" but more importantly, what stuff is a must have that is worth moving with, and what stuff should I downsize?

Thanks.
I’m in Morton, right by Peoria. If we get the cold temps here, there are a lot of public lakes to fish that are easily accessible. If we don’t get the ice here you can go a couple hours north to Wisconsin and they have a lot of places to fish up there.

If I was you, i would keep the gear, you just never know in this area. 2 years ago I fished 30+ days on the ice.

Offline DaWakoKid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2023, 12:18 PM »
I second what bassnbud said. Seasons could last days down here, or a month plus. One year I drilled through 15" of ice (with a hand auger). If you're someone that is hardcoard about hard water, it's easy to make a weekend trip to WI when things are slushy down here.

Offline IdahoSkies

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2023, 07:11 PM »
We are settled, and actually ended up in Morton.

Re Wisconsin, in the past we have driven 2-3 hours for hardwater but we have never made a weekend of it. We usually had 4-10 days on the ice per year. I suspect a Wisconsin trip is not in the cards this year but may be in the future. We will just have to watch the weather and see when things in the northern part of the state start firming up.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2023, 05:01 AM »
Just a waiting game now. We'll probably start seeing some teaser skim soon. Anything before the new year is bonus ice. I've been living back down here 17 years now, and I think I've gotten out maybe 2-3 years before Jan 1st.

Last year we had a big cold blast right before Xmas. There was 6-8" of ice on small local ponds Xmas day, but then it warmed way up into the 50s and they were back to open water by New Year's weekend. After that we didn't have ice again until the very end of January when it froze back up enough to fish again for 2-3 days.

Offline bassnbud8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2023, 05:00 PM »
Unfortunately we will be back in the 50s by Peoria. We need an arctic blast for a couple months! 🤣🤣🤣

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.