Author Topic: Aerator  (Read 6303 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Aerator
« on: Feb 06, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Could my aereator be causing my minnows to die because its meant to pump a 100 gal tank but im using in a 2 gal bucket

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Aerator
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Well, if the water looks like a boiling pot of water, probably.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Well, if the water looks like a boiling pot of water, probably.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2022, 03:59 PM »
I'm gonna say I think that's your issue. Too much aeration dissolved nitrogen (air) in your livewell water can kill bait and fish.
Air is not oxygen, these gasses are very different. Air is a mixture of gasses that contains oxygen (21%), but it primarily contains nitrogen gas (79%). Too much infused nitrogen will kill fish. They need dissolved OXYGEN in a proper percentage to live.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:01 PM »
I'm gonna say I think that's your issue. Too much aeration dissolved nitrogen (air) in your livewell water can kill bait and fish.
Air is not oxygen, these gasses are very different. Air is a mixture of gasses that contains oxygen (21%), but it primarily contains nitrogen gas (79%). Too much infused nitrogen will kill fish. They need dissolved OXYGEN in a proper percentage to live.

Any electric aerators that you would recommend thats on the cheaper side

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2022, 04:08 PM »
Do you want cheap or do you want live fish? Quiet Bubbles. Mr Bubbles. Hush Bubbles. Marine Metal products Co.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2022, 06:18 AM »
Do you want cheap or do you want live fish? Quiet Bubbles. Mr Bubbles. Hush Bubbles. Marine Metal products Co.

So the least powerful electric ones aerate 8 gallons do you think that would be too powerful

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:31 AM »
I use the baby bubbles in my 8 quart bucket and  in my opinion its not the bubbler unless its so powerful that its making the minnows struggle in turbulent water.its ammonia and skanky water that kills them.and if the bubbler was killing them theres a on/off switch.dont have to blow air up the minnows a$$ all day long.lol

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:34 AM »
I use the baby bubbles in my 8 quart bucket and  in my opinion its not the bubbler unless its so powerful that its making the minnows struggle in turbulent water.its ammonia and skanky water that kills them.and if the bubbler was killing them theres a on/off switch.dont have to blow air up the minnows a$$ all day long.lol

True thats why i personally will keep my bucket lid open to help release gasses

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:42 AM »
Doc, yer good at releasing gasses, ain'tcha?  :woot: :roflmao:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:03 AM »
Is there an air stone on the end of that hose of just a hose stuck in the bucket. The pic shows only a few big bubbles and smaller, more numerous bubbles carry more oxygen. Also, oxygen transfer takes place on the surface of the water so if foam accumulates or bubbles are not breaking the surface very little O2 will be in the water.

Do be aware of cloudy/stinky water. That means waste products have built up and water needs to be changed. Any store that sells aquarium products will have a decent aerator for 15 -20 bucks. Pick one...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:11 AM »
Is there an air stone on the end of that hose of just a hose stuck in the bucket. The pic shows only a few big bubbles and smaller, more numerous bubbles carry more oxygen. Also, oxygen transfer takes place on the surface of the water so if foam accumulates or bubbles are not breaking the surface very little O2 will be in the water.

Do be aware of cloudy/stinky water. That means waste products have built up and water needs to be changed. Any store that sells aquarium products will have a decent aerator for 15 -20 bucks. Pick one...
I actually just took a screenshot of the video i took of it. The hose has an airstone if i figured it out i could send recording

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:13 AM »
I use a rechargeable aerator with intermittent aeration.

Bonus: can go on for days.

AquaMiracle Lithium Battery Powered Portable Aquarium Air Pump for Fish Tank up to 120 Gallons, USB Rechargeable Aquarium Bubbler Aerator for Outdoor Fishing, Power Outages and Emergency
by Tenyon
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098QRTN7V/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HR1EDRQ33BX2XX1DDY2R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:14 AM »

AquaMiracle Lithium Battery Powered Portable Aquarium Air Pump for Fish Tank up to 120 Gallons, USB Rechargeable Aquarium Bubbler Aerator for Outdoor Fishing, Power Outages and Emergency
by Tenyon
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098QRTN7V/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HR1EDRQ33BX2XX1DDY2R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I have a battery one for when im out fishing and an electric for at home.Batterys are expensive

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:49 AM »
I have a battery one for when im out fishing and an electric for at home.Batterys are expensive

Yeah. Was tired of constantly replacing batteries. Rechargeable is the way to go!

The intermittent aeration reduces the super saturation of nitrogen in the water.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2022, 11:05 AM »
To much moving water they get tired and die.  i have a double hose bubbler and if I put both stones at the bottom of the bucket creates a current and the shiners get tired and die.  I move the stones up to the surface just 1/2" to 1" below and they do just fine...
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2022, 11:29 AM »

by Tenyon

THANKS for this! Was looking for something like this just the other day..................s o tired of buying "D" batteries for my portable aerator!  ::)  And I see you can also run this off household current. Even better for keeping them alive at home!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Dave in Mpls

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:15 PM »
Been using these for the past couple years with good results.  Caught them for $5 at Petco one day and picked up 8 for myself and friends.  Knocked one into the drink a couple weeks ago in my permanent and it still ran fine after drying out overnight.  Fortunately I have several spares.  You’ll need air hose and a stone.
https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-Easy-Aquariums-Non-UL/dp/B0009YJ4N6

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2022, 07:03 AM »
I just bought a cheap-o Tetra 5 gallon aerator on Amazon for $5. I have about 12 minnows in about 2 gallons of water and after 4 days minnows still good and active.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2022, 07:45 AM »
Ok thank you its not the areator and if something breaks i now also know what to replace it with

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2022, 04:39 AM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.