The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold or Snow  (Read 1138 times)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Cold or Snow
« on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:48 PM »
So with this weather we've been getting, it makes me wonder... Let's say you don't have a shelter......What would you rather fish?, when is the bite better? Blue bird -10 (more like -20) degree day or (still not very warm)
1in+/hr snow fall?
either way staying busy keeping holes open :)     

Oh Yeah let's say everywhere has good ice so you don't need the -10 to get out

Offline bottlefed

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cold or Snow
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:22 PM »
Im for the snow and temp staying right around 20-25 with no wind!
Team Fishing F.U.C.S.    Secret poles and secret holes!

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:04 PM »
Not sure when the bite is better from one weather condition to the other? I do have my superstitions, sometimes they seem to hold true and others not so much. As far as fishing in the snow or the cold, neither ones really bothers me too much unless a person forgets one very important factor that occurs in most areas I fish, WIND!  So is snow or cold worse? Since I fish outside I would have to say snow, along with the wind. Snow by itself, no problem. Don't get me wrong, cold with the wind also sucks. But snow blowing across the ice seems to fill up the holes alot quicker than cold temps from my experience. Didn't mean to add wind to your thread, but its hard to get away from the "W" where I fish!

Offline icefich

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I used to try to puzzle that out for myself, so I'm glad to see that someone else was thinking it too! What I finally decided was that, at the end of the season, what I wished most, was that I would have taken advantage of the chances I had to go fishing more. So I guess what I mean is, as for me, whenever I can put together the time to go, I go. I quit worrying about if the wind was going to blow, or the temp. I try to figure out how I can go fishing anyways, in spite of whats going on. Once a guy gets that attitude, it gets a lot easier to go fishing. That's what it's all about in the end..... Just my .02 anyways.... good luck to all!

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Icefish,

Well said! Fishing at this time of the year usually offers some diverse conditions. I try to go as much as possible, no matter what the forecast is, to a certain extent. But when a weekend(overnite) trip is planned, one seems to tolerate more and deal w the weather we end up,  than a day trip close to home. Just hope the fish are biting, this seems to takes a persons mind off any type of bad conditions.  A lot of people say I'm nuts, and maybe i am?

Offline icefich

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:22 PM »
Hey Lipripr- if ur nuts, so am I. Count me in... being nuts is GREAT!! ;D ;D What I should have said is that I used to always find reasons not to go, and now I try to come up with excuses why I can still do it. Makes all the difference.

Offline slabfisher12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:28 PM »
So with this weather we've been getting, it makes me wonder... Let's say you don't have a shelter......What would you rather fish?, when is the bite better? Blue bird -10 (more like -20) degree day or (still not very warm)
1in+/hr snow fall?
either way staying busy keeping holes open :)     

Oh Yeah let's say everywhere has good ice so you don't need the -10 to get out
um probly when the bite is on
:icefish: be bewy bewy quite im hunting fishies

Offline urbanlegend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I fish when I can..temperature is optional.  As for catch rates the H20 doesn't fluctuate like air temp so my opinion is that other factors will drive the cacthing (I blame the operator on my end).

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Have you ever gone home and wished you hadn't gone?  I know I have a couple times but I can't remember when.  There have been a lot more days where I had wished I had gone fishing and not stayed home on my a$$!  I guess what I'm saying is go fishing more.  You won't have to be on here wondering what/where/on what the bite is right now, you'll be catching more fish!!!

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:57 AM »
I'd take either as long as the wind didn't blow!!!!

MTA

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:07 AM »
I agree with everyone when it comes to the wind.  I would rather fish on a cold clear day than a snowy one.  Unless of course I hear of a hot bite somewhere.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:46 AM »
I hate wind,really hate it,but thats why I have a house and heater.I have sat at Pishkun,Ackley,East Fork ect... in 30+ mph winds just to burn propane and look down a hole.
BBJ

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:49 AM »
I agree with all the wind comments, I hate wind ice or open water fishing I dislike it with a passion. Other than that I just go whenever I can, whatever the weather is.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:00 PM »
um probly when the bite is on

Better a smart@$$ than a dumb@ss my wife always says! ;D

I agree!.... you can't pick your days,.... Wind is the worst,.... and  I need to fish more often. I'd rather have the snow though!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 12:04 PM »
That's because its always -20 down there Kirk.  You always fish in the cold.  Although I think you guys are the warm place in the state right now.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2012, 02:59 PM »
No wind...that's well established now...but clear and cold over snowing for me...

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:16 PM »
Did I ever mention that I totally despise wind???  LOL.......I always ask my fiance' that........and yes, she knows the answer......:)  Temperture, snow, clear.......doesn't matter to me.....and we're finally getting the equipment to block wind and stay a little warmer........so let's just go when we can is our plan.....

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:33 PM »
cold & snow any day over wind but in open water i just seem to catch more when its windy

Offline gblomquist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:48 AM »
I agree that you fish when you can and its always better to be fishin than workin!  And I would have to say during the heavy snow.  I have fished really hard both hard water and soft water for the past few years since I have had more time and really found some patterns.  Its not always true but typically if the barrometric pressure is low (usually before a weather system) and overcast, fish are more active.  Also, right after a weather system after the pressure has jumped way up (like a blue bird day after a storm) the fishing has been quite non existent. This seems to be more prevalent with certain species types like walleye, perch, and pike.  You can usually pick up a trout any day with some days way better than others if the conditions are right.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2012, 11:28 AM »
my 2cts .   fished last weekend windy sat cought my limit. fished sunday windy cought my limit . fished yesterday no wind only 2 fish . looks like i like the wind , guess im nuts also  !!!!!! i would fish any day there is ice i dont have a boat !!!!!!!!
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.