The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Lake Info  (Read 2615 times)

Offline justintee15

• IceShanty Rookie
Georgetown Lake Info
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Heading to Georgetown for the first time tomorrow and i was wondering where i should set up.  Any other information would be helpful. Thanks

Offline frozen lovemuscle

• IceShanty Rookie
  • take the old woman she might be worth one donkey
Re: Georgetown Lake Info
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2010, 02:56 PM »
I fished on saturday on rainbow bay in the morning cought a salmon and some trout. then went over to denton bay in afternoon. had bites ,a friend landed a trout but slowed way down as the day went on. other people fishing dentons bay in the morning were doing very well in the moring and had bags of trout and salmon. next time i will fish there at first light.

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:14 AM »
I have fished by the pump house along the highways twice.  First time caught 3 fish, the second time about 9.  Had one big one break me off.  I was using a really ugly brown jig that was stubby with lots of arms on it.  I was jigging right on the bottom with maggots.  I saw one 20 inch brookie caught.  I heard this time of year the big brookies are hitting.
donwoudoorsdotcom

Offline etty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I am heading out that way on sat. Dont wanna tote all my gear out if the ice is not fishable. Can anyone let me know the current ice situation? As well as where Denton Bay is? This will be my first time there. Oh and FOW they are hitting??? Any and all info would help out alot. THANKS!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Who said the ice is not fishable? There will likely be fishable ice until it closes.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:31 PM »
I am heading out that way on sat. Dont wanna tote all my gear out if the ice is not fishable. Can anyone let me know the current ice situation? As well as where Denton Bay is? This will be my first time there. Oh and FOW they are hitting??? Any and all info would help out alot. THANKS!
dentons bay is on the main road. not sure how to explain, best to google gtown lake. i was fishing about 200yards out in about 20fow. they were about 10 to 15 down using maggots and meal worms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Who said the ice is not fishable? There will likely be fishable ice until it closes.
there was close to 3ft of ice.if that aint thick enough i dont know what is.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2010, 09:32 AM »
fished Gtown for the first time this season yesterday.  Pretty slow.  I got there kinda early but wish I had been there earlier.  Got tons of trout, but ended up with only 10 salmon.  Early bit was tough, even flipped over the house to see them and 9 out of 10 times they were just swimming past it bumping it with their nose.  I didn't actually start to get good solid hit until about 11 or so. 
Beautiful day, 40 plus degrees out, plenty of ice lots of tricky fish.
I think I got on or two more trips to Gtown in me
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline haffshak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Pretty much the same results for me too FWBs. Tuff bite on the salmon with 10 also, many trout, and a gorgeous day. Sure like that little spaniel of yours.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 03:28 PM »
I have to laugh about someone saying the ice may not be fishable. Last year the ice was almost fishable on the opening day of the regular season in May. In any event there was still to much ice to fish from the shore or out of a boat.

flyfish59102

Offline RustyWaterDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Any new news a g-town.  Thinking about going this weekend.

Offline muskyhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2010, 08:23 PM »
I was up to g-town the past 2 sundays and the fishing was good.Last sunday there was 14" of snow with 3-4" of slush,the ice was still over 20" and the shoreline is still good.It is just a pain in the a*$# walking to fishing spots.If you havea sled with room you might want to take some wood or a pallet to sit or stand on to get out of the water and slush.Good luck.

Offline Htech77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:15 PM »
Fished last weekend, like Mskyhntr said, snow and slush. Caught big brookies by pumphouse and salmon at redbridge. Lots of ice. Tough walkin'. Get some!!!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Think I had my last day on the ice on Sunday.  Brought home 12 or so kokes and one rainbow that swallowed it.  Would have brought home a couple more if it wasn't for one of my dogs and the ravens flying around the lake. Caught some good size brookies too which was pretty cool.  2 below zero to start the morning off and an afternoon temp of 50.  Gotta love Montana.  Great day, good times, good friends and some good fish...It's best to go out on a winner.  Thanks guys for all the info this year.

See ya on the hard water 2010/2011

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2010, 12:02 AM »
Headed to George Town next weekend do you guys think the ice will hold up?
donwoudoorsdotcom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 23, 2010, 06:00 AM »
I think you will laugh at your question when you get up there and see just how much ice is up there.  My friend id dsee the front of a truck stuck in the ice though.

Offline Hook them Lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I've heard this is the best time of the year for a brookie.  That sounds like good news on the ice conditions.  Ft. peck is dangerous right now.  Theres 3 ft of ice but the edges are out 3 ft.  We wore waders to get out to the good ice. 
donwoudoorsdotcom

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2010, 01:02 PM »
The best time of the year for brookies is in the fall when they are spawning. You can catch some huge fish. Now is the best time to pick up huge rainbow by the pumphouse but they will all taste lousy because they are getting ready to spawn. Speaking of the idiot that got stuck, I took this picture last Saturday. There is still about 2 feet of ice, but this nimrod decided to try and drive through a notoriously slushy part of the lake. Just because you can drive a truck on the lake doesn't mean you should...especially wihtout chains and wimpy road tires. I heard they were up there overnight. They are lucky the truck didn't freeze in.

flyfish59102

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I had a game warden check me there once, and i thought i remember him  saying that it was illeagal to dirve on the ice at georgetown, along with all the other special georgetown rules? Is this true? i don't think i would ever need to drive on the ice there, most spots i fish are just a few hundred yards from the road, i'd have to be pretty lazy or stoned, nothing like trying to get to the pressure ridge ar Canyon Ferrry.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2010, 10:47 AM »
I don't think it is illegal. It is just bad judgment to drive on that lake. Most lakes don't get as much slush and snow buildup as Georgetown. There are usually people driving on it almost all winter they just do it in better areas. The ice over by the pumphouse is always slushy because of all the springs over there. There are also a lot of weak spots in the ice over there. People fall through walking there every year. I won't take anything larger than a 4 wheeler out. At least with a 4 wheeler one or two people can pick it up and get it unstuck.

flyfish59102

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.