The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island report 4-3-17  (Read 1128 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island report 4-3-17
« on: Apr 03, 2017, 04:26 PM »
So I got on the ice at Tabor Point at 9:00 for what I think will be the last time this season.  There's still a foot of ice in some places mostly under areas covered by the deepest snow which by now is only 3-4 inches.  The bare spots are darker and there's water there and in some places less than 6 inches of solid ice.  You can see that the ice is heavily eroded underneath, looks like jagged stalactites.  By the end of my day I avoided those areas as I was breaking through the upper crust and it was hard walking not to mention kinda unsettling.

Had my first flag before I got all my tip-ups in which was only six with big bait (nearly a dollar a piece for shiners that I would have called mediums...) and then I set more tip-ups with big perch bait and that worked pretty good in the forenoon.

This was my first fish of the day and only lip-hooked so I put her back. 

Then I lost 4 big fish in a row, one nearly spooled me and we fought all the line back in and then she spit it out at the hole!  Lots of action so I didn't get to jig much but when I did the bite was steady until I got this one.  Only lip-hooked, too, so he went back in.

Then the bite really picked up and it was one after another until the Quebecers came out and settled not to far from me and then the bite slowed down, the bigger ones anyway, still kept getting some smaller one and finally down to bait size so I put some on my tip-ups and then everything stopped at 2:00.  I was out of bait anyway and so came home with this mess.

They're all cleaned and in the fridge.  I start back to work tomorrow with a little bit of sadness, only fished a half dozen times, but on the bright side I had some good catches and saw some big fish on top of the ice.  Only ten months to go!

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Hog Island report 4-3-17
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Thanks for the report Jbritch!  :thumbsup:  You always seem to have good luck off of that point. Apparently there are a lot of fish in that area. Crayfish2 and I might have to take a trip up there this spring with the boat to help you thin them out a little bit.  ;)
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2017, 04:15 AM »
JBR, It looks like a good last day on the ice for you. I want to try one more time this weekend but the rains may ruin our ice here ?

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2017, 05:30 AM »
Looks like a great last day! Thanks for sharing!

Already cant wait til next season!

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2017, 06:02 AM »
Nice.
Thanks for the reports this year.
Have a nice off season.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Very cool thanks!

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Would have never figured the ice would last that long when we were there in Feb. Glad it hardened back up for you guys up there. Way to get it done
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2017, 07:39 AM »
well the months got confused, February came in march and march in February ::).......
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.