Author Topic: What's still legal  (Read 3199 times)

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
What's still legal
« on: Mar 01, 2022, 08:59 AM »
It's March 1st so where are we still allow to fish in the state ?

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What's still legal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:27 AM »
Can fish for trout everywhere. Any other species that has a closed season still remains closed
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:28 AM »
for trout I think. Dumb way of doing it, Hope they fix this >:(

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:30 AM »
for trout I think. Dumb way of doing it, Hope they fix this >:(

They are trying to propose a bill to open all fishing as well but it has to go to public discussion first. This bill that just passed was mostly just I clarify and clean up the changes that were put into effect last year. I'm sure a lot of places will open but remain catch and release but that is yet to be seen
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline michael czapor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Thanks for the information Robert and everyone else.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2022, 12:47 PM »
This is nuts. The DEEP is totally incompetent when it comes to even the most straightforward of regulatory fixes. They knew this was an issue a full year ago and here we are. Public hearings, a year down the road to eliminate lake closures? I have no tolerance for this nonsense. At a real job, people would be fired. At DEEP somebody will be advanced for their hard work procrastinating.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2022, 04:34 PM »
Also check the trout regs for the specific waterbody. Some lakes have a one trout limit and it has to be 16” or over..

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2022, 04:39 PM »
Just means I’ll be “trout” fishing when I go to the trout lakes for the next 6 weeks. Such nonsense.

-Eric

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2022, 04:55 PM »
Just means I’ll be “trout” fishing when I go to the trout lakes for the next 6 weeks. Such nonsense.

-Eric

You complained last year about not being able to fish those lakes at all, many people did.  So DEEP tried to change the law quickly and this is what we have for now.  Pick which side of the coin you want...they plan on addressing asap.  I had asked about a very specific body of water.

You are correct. the new state law (public act 21-12) removed the closed season for trout. Which means that you can fish for trout year round on XYZ Lake. Due to a loop hole that we are working to fix, you can only fish for trout. All other species, if caught, must be released.

Mike Beauchene, Supervising Fisheries Biologist

Our Mission: To advance the conservation, enhancement, restoration, use, and appreciation of Connecticut’s fish, fisheries and fish habitats.

CT Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) & Fisheries Program Support, Fisheries Division

Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127
P: 860.424.4185 F: 860.424.4070 E:

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Agree, certainly better than it use to be and will only get better when there is no closed season. We'll get there soon enough.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:28 PM »
You complained last year about not being able to fish those lakes at all, many people did.  So DEEP tried to change the law quickly and this is what we have for now.  Pick which side of the coin you want...they plan on addressing asap.  I had asked about a very specific body of water.

You are correct. the new state law (public act 21-12) removed the closed season for trout. Which means that you can fish for trout year round on XYZ Lake. Due to a loop hole that we are working to fix, you can only fish for trout. All other species, if caught, must be released.

Mike Beauchene, Supervising Fisheries Biologist

Our Mission: To advance the conservation, enhancement, restoration, use, and appreciation of Connecticut’s fish, fisheries and fish habitats.

CT Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) & Fisheries Program Support, Fisheries Division

Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127
P: 860.424.4185 F: 860.424.4070 E:

I’ll be fishing for trout in a lake with live suckers and 2/0 hooks  ;D

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2022, 07:58 PM »
Let me know where you’re getting your suckers from. I caught a few “trout” this Winter on them and I’m a big fan.

-Eric

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2022, 09:07 PM »
You can buy frozen ones online. Harmon Brook Farm is what I believe it’s called.

I’m not familiar with spots that sell live ones but I do catch them in the rivers and use them live in spring/summer/fall for Pike and catfish in the Connecticut River. They are by far the best live bait I have used for Pike and big fish in general. Several 10+ pound catfish on live and chunked sucker.

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2022, 12:23 PM »
Good Info Thanks Everyone

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:02 PM »
Out "trout" fishing tonight. Hope they like big shiners on the bottom.

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:37 PM »
I’ve caught a bunch of “trout” doing just that. I think you’re on to something.

-Eric

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:34 AM »
Out "trout" fishing tonight. Hope they like big shiners on the bottom.

I will be doing the same thing this weekend. Gotta get that 11pm “trout” bite!  ;)2

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:14 PM »
I heard the fish have been leading an immoral life and there are now Walleyed Trout so you are safe ;-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.