Author Topic: Mashapaug  (Read 3566 times)

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mashapaug
« on: Feb 25, 2022, 09:57 AM »
Going to try and get one more nite of Walter fishing if ice is still good. Hope to see someone there. :tipup:

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mashapaug
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2022, 11:22 AM »
I'm not going to make the drive in this mess, but I will be there Saturday night.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2022, 03:13 PM »
I may come Saturday,but was thinking Sunday or Monday. Good luck

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2022, 03:46 PM »
I was just there trying to get on and I was not successful. There is about 20 ft of water between the launch and ice sheet. I walked down the trail to the left of the launch to try to find an access point and slipped into the water while attempting to see how deep the water was (to see if I could walk through it). Filled my entire boots with water and got up to my knee wet. Ice sheet was only a few feet away so it could be a feasible access point. You’ll see my jet sled tracks I’m sure. Also could be better acress points down the trail a bit further. The cold should harden up the edges too.

No idea how thick the ice sheet is at this point.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2022, 05:37 PM »
Thanks for the update, it saved me a drive. With my luk the ice won't be good there until Tuesday. :(

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:13 PM »
I stopped by Winchester on Wednesday (I think?) and it looked ok; wet but ok. One party was out close to shore when I was there but I didn’t check thickness. After the weather we’ve just had I can’t imagine it being any worse but use your head if you go.

I’m discouraged to hear about Mash though. That’s where I want to be this weekend. We’ll see how it goes.

Be safe everyone, please.

-Eric

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:23 PM »
North of there I ran into lots of large drainholes last night.  They were skimmed but not enough to stand on.  Now covered with snow.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:53 PM »
I stopped by Winchester on Wednesday (I think?) and it looked ok; wet but ok. One party was out close to shore when I was there but I didn’t check thickness. After the weather we’ve just had I can’t imagine it being any worse but use your head if you go.

I’m discouraged to hear about Mash though. That’s where I want to be this weekend. We’ll see how it goes.

Be safe everyone, please.

-Eric

The ice sheet at Mashapaug has to be good ice… hopefully the edges harden up enough for you to be able to get on.

Thanks for the intel on Winchester we’ll see how it goes tomorrow.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2022, 05:39 AM »
Thanks for the info, doesn't sound good. Was really hoping to get on Mashapaug this weekend but my old bones won't handle a dunking.We will see ,maybe Monday. Be careful if you go ! :'(

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2022, 06:13 AM »
If anyone does get on Mash today or tomorrow, would you mind letting us know? I remain hopeful in possibly getting on tomorrow afternoon but I’d prefer not to drive the hour to find out that I can’t.

Thanks,

-Eric

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2022, 08:32 AM »
I will make the trip today with a plank and take a walk through the woods.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2022, 12:20 PM »
I will make the trip today with a plank and take a walk through the woods.

How did you make out? Should we send out a search team??  ;)

Offline hardfloor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2022, 01:17 PM »
Fished last night till about 9pm, no plank needed. Got on right at the launch, no open water there only by the first 2 islands. I would avoid the spots that are not snow covered because they are most likely drain holes that froze up the last few days.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2022, 02:25 PM »
Thanks for the report. Last time I was there was before the last rain and the drain holes were growing fast.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2022, 02:48 PM »
Thanks hardfloor, may try tomorrow nite :tipup:

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:01 PM »
Fished last night till about 9pm, no plank needed. Got on right at the launch, no open water there only by the first 2 islands. I would avoid the spots that are not snow covered because they are most likely drain holes that froze up the last few days.

Good to here the launch froze up fast

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:51 PM »
Checked today. Accessible and plenty of ice.

Offline PerchMan45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:47 PM »
it’s dangerous at best why are u leading people on i checked it today and was nervous to venture too far out one hit with the spud in spots. Tread lightly if u go its late ice

9” where I drilled in the channel. Of course everyone should check for themselves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.