Author Topic: Advise please...  (Read 2671 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Advise please...
« on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:21 PM »
When a fish comes up to check out your lure, do you change the speed or style of your jigging?   I have found that I really need to make the jig actively dance to get them interested in it, but they wont bite if I'm really pumping the lure.  What do you do to seal the deal?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline Dennis53

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Advise please...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2011, 03:28 PM »
some times I let it sit still  or jig like crazy, let the fish tell you how he wants it. make sure your lure is not spinning

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Lately it's been soft swimming, rocking the jig more than swimming it.  Moving it slowly up in the water column seems to be a pretty good ticket, too.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2011, 06:07 PM »
 I do a pretty good amount of sight fishing an go by the fish's actions. If they come in quick you can just stop and let them strike. On the other end of the spectrum, when they swim in slow and just sniff I'll slow it down to just a small amount of jiggle, stop and jiggle. If that does not work I'll downsize the jig so all they have to do when they swim up to the bait is flair their gills and Inhale. I'm talking about perch fishing BTW.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I always start with doing nothing, then a little lift or drop.  Next maybe a jiggle or shake.   Then a continous slow lift.  Next maybe a continous fast lift.  Then a jiggle shake and lift. etc.,...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:28 PM »
Trial and error. Just gotta see what they want at the time.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Keep it in their face and jiggle in place. Use a Surgeons Loop instead of a tight knot for the jig, lets it hang loose. Very lightly tap the rod or line to have it simply quiver not go up or down, aggressive or fish in a curious mood tend to hit it. Makes it easy on them either way. Does work better with horizontal or 45* down jigs. Smaller size does help. We also tend to see bait movement as up and down. Try moving your line slowly from one side of the hole to the other, minor horizontal movements are often all it takes and is very natural down there

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2011, 03:03 PM »
I use a slow lift method. Its like when the fish tilts upward the mercury switch in them moves them to bite. If the fish does not have enough mercury in them yet, they will swim away. I use a camera so I have to lift it slowly and will continue lifting even out of view of the camera to make them follow. Only kidding about the mercury, I used it only to describe the reaction.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:00 PM »
When Im fishing bluegills and one comes up to my jig I will just stop moving.Most times they will suck in the bait, if they dont I will raise it up very slow and fish on.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2011, 05:16 PM »
For the most part I stop moving it, and sometimes that does it.  Then I'll raise it up slowly.  If nothing happens then I wiggle it, then I jig it.  I've tried all different things and sometimes I can't get them to bite.  Seems I've been doing the right thing, its the fish who are doing it wrong!  Lol

Wiggle it just a little bit..

Offline renzettimaster85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:08 PM »
When a fish comes up to check out your lure, do you change the speed or style of your jigging?   I have found that I really need to make the jig actively dance to get them interested in it, but they wont bite if I'm really pumping the lure.  What do you do to seal the deal?

Immediately slow it down to a steady short gentile motion and continue to slowly raise. That's my standard

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I always start with doing nothing, then a little lift or drop.  Next maybe a jiggle or shake.   Then a continous slow lift.  Next maybe a continous fast lift.  Then a jiggle shake and lift. etc.,...
I second this

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I will usually stop or let it actually drop alittle. If that doesnt work I will do the "wiggle" where I just barely get the rod tip to occilate up and down, just barely so you can see you rod tip moving. If the stop and drop doesnt work the wiggle usually does.

J-

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:07 AM »
These guys are all correct.  The only other thing I'd do is keep your eyes off the electronics once the fish starts to commit.  (I'm assuming you're using a flasher).  Once he starts to rise for the jig, just keep doing whatever you were doing to get him there in the first place, and watch your rod tip.  I've gotten so I watch my line more than the rod tip.  For example, if your line is wiggling all over the place and you see a change in the pattern or it straightens out, that's the bite.  Hope this helps.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2011, 04:06 PM »
Once the fish is close to the jig, I concentrate on the rod tip.  Actually my flasher is opposite me at the hole, so my tip is often in front of the flasher so I can watch them both and alter my presentation as Newsweek.  I guess I just need to practice a little more.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:18 PM »
These guys are all correct.  The only other thing I'd do is keep your eyes off the electronics once the fish starts to commit.  (I'm assuming you're using a flasher).  Once he starts to rise for the jig, just keep doing whatever you were doing to get him there in the first place, and watch your rod tip.  I've gotten so I watch my line more than the rod tip.  For example, if your line is wiggling all over the place and you see a change in the pattern or it straightens out, that's the bite.  Hope this helps.

this is key, if you are looking at your electronics when the fish are coming in you WILL miss he light bite. Once the fish has commited to checking out my lure I stare and I mean STARE at the point where the line goes into the water. ANY change in what the line is doing, set the hook and 99% of the time you will have a fish on.

Look for the line going sideways, going limp etc. ANYTHING other than it just sitting there.

J-

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Great thread topic. This has been my first season with a flasher. I have found that in general with panfish, if they start to come in and commit i just freeze my jig, and watch the rod tip. If that doesnt work i shiver the jig a little. You know, give it a tiny bit of life. If they are still just staring, and i cant get them to eat, i reel in about a half a crank, and they will usually follow it and eat.

For Walleye, things have been a little different. I typically start with a spoon, and if i cant get them to eat it, i switch to a jigging shad rap (both of which i tip with a minnow head)  I actively jig either one with a lift, drop, hold presentation. Once i see a fish comming in i typically stop the lure, and just wiggle it in place. This works sometimes, but i have had considerably more times when a fish will just stare, then slowly swim away. As an alternate finesse method i also sometimes use a jig head with half a minnow. (this was suggested by another shanty member that has a lot of experience at the Walleye fishery i fish)  I didnt have a lot of confidence in this at first but it did account for my best eye this winter so far.  Thanks for sharing your experiences guys!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:30 AM »
I stare at my rod tips and look at the line when I can.  It's the way how I've done it before a flasher, but mostly using a slip bobber.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 11:08 AM »
If your using a flasher and see the fish come in hard ,bump our just mouth the bait without taking it .Then I just put on a fresh waxie and that fresh bait will make them take it most of the time.

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:36 PM »
drop it to the bottom, stir up the mud, then do the slow lift. usually if you are up off the bottom, dropping it down and pounding the mud really gets thier attention. then as you slowly lift it up past their face WHAM.
Still counting.....

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2011, 10:14 AM »
drop it to the bottom, stir up the mud, then do the slow lift. usually if you are up off the bottom, dropping it down and pounding the mud really gets thier attention. then as you slowly lift it up past their face WHAM.

x2

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Small jiggles and lifting, pay attention to flasher.  if they are coming at it faster than you are lifting great, chances are you are going to have a FISH ON!  if they give up on it, open bail and go down go all the way to bottom repeat.  maybe lift a little slower next time since you found out they are not that aggressive.  Works for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.