The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lets talk ice augers  (Read 17753 times)

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
Re: Lets talk ice augers
« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2008, 04:57 PM »
i dont own a iceauger because i bought a strikemaster 2 years ago and cant shell out any more money. but i wish i would have known about the icegator because all  have heard is good reviews and the best part is there isnt any gas!!! so i think you should strongly think about getting one before you have to deal with gas

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2008, 05:01 PM »
i just dont want to have to deal with batteries i dont mind the smell of a little gas bug deal i wear gloves anyway and carry gas with......i just dont like the idea of batteries on an ice auger

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2008, 05:03 PM »
honestly i was worried about this too, untill i read ALL of the reviews, none were bad. all backed up what the manufactures said

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2008, 08:12 PM »
I'll second the Nils 8'' with the Tanaka power head, mine cuts like a ruptured duck....however fast that is ...but it's fast!!

Snot Rocket

I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2008, 04:45 AM »
200 holes a day! When do you have time to actually fish ;D If ya have to have that many holes every time you go then yes, you probably need the gas auger and gas can. If you can get by on 30-40 holes in up to thirty inches or so of ice then there is no question, the Icegator rules!

That feller braggin' about the speed of his gas auger has never been up against a 'Gator with a Nils bit on it ;)

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:57 PM »
I am in the market for a new ice auger and would like to know what you guys think of the new jiffy and strikemaster augers that are on the market i used to own a 10" strikemaster but it never really ran right and i got sick of it and threw it out after the gears in the transmission quit turning the auger.....im steering towards the new jiffy with the stx cutting blades and the 2 hp motor but im not really sure what to do yet..... :tipup: :laugh: :tipup:

200 holes a day! When do you have time to actually fish ;D If ya have to have that many holes every time you go then yes, you probably need the gas auger and gas can. If you can get by on 30-40 holes in up to thirty inches or so of ice then there is no question, the Icegator rules!

That feller braggin' about the speed of his gas auger has never been up against a 'Gator with a Nils bit on it ;)

My previous post was more of a reply to iluvcrappie's original post concerning Jiffy vs Strikemaster and about Jiffy's STX blades and 2hp motor.

Basically, my old 3hp Jiffy Model 30 which I inherited from my dad, seems to me, to be more reliable than most Strikemasters. I remember having to go to the hand auger and/or spud when another buddy's StrikeMaster would quit on us and that was the only power auger we'd brought with.

Yesterday, the older 3hp Jiffy started easier and cut faster than a new 2hp Jiffy STX. The STX was quieter and is lighter (by about 5 pounds, which is half the weight of the average fish I target, so not a big issue to me). Then again, I took LoneWolf's advice and am running synthetic oil and had my auger serviced.

As for speed vs a good electric power head like the IceGator (but ONLY a 6" hole) with double cutting blades like the Nils, I'm sure the electric is faster, easier to handle, lighter, etc. than a standard gas auger. But how will your hand auger's blade hold out? Can the Nils blades be sharpened or touched up easily by hand?

I picked up an Ice Master drill adapter a couple years ago and tried it with my 8" StrikeMaster Lazer (NOT RECOMMENDED) and my 18v cordless drill. It was fast, BUT, it dulled my blades rather quickly (my fault and I take full responsibility). I have two sets of dull Lazer blades. To do StrikeMaster's exchange program, it'd cost me $47 to send the dull ones in and get two sets of reconditioned blades back. A new set is about $35.

I also have an old 8" Swedish Mora (before StrikeMaster bought Mora) which I don't use much anymore. The nice thing about that auger's blades is that there are a number of local places that can sharpen them (and I can touch them up myself fairly well by hand). I haven't had to yet, but I'm pretty sure that I can hand sharpen the blade on the old Jiffy 30 as well.

Here's some things to consider when looking for a new auger of ANY type: Can I resharpen the blades myself? How much and how available are replacement blades? Can I have the power head serviced locally or do I have to ship it out? Is there a warranty? How many holes through how thick of ice am I gonna cut on average?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Since you drill over 200 holes per day.  Look into the Nils Master augers.  They are the lightest and fastest augers in the world.  You will pay a little more for them but they are worth it and in the long run the extra hundred bucks is nothing.  The 8 inch only weighs about 22 pounds which will save your back drilling lots of holes.  They burn through the ice like no other auger and there is no need to push down on the auger at all.  Finally the powerhead is a Tanaka which is an industrial motor that is built to better standards than a tecumseh engine which is on most of the others. The factory rated lifespan for an Tanaka engine is actually three times longer than the tecumseh.

The only drawback to these augers is that the blades are hard to find unless you order them off the internet and you will have to ship them off to be sharpened.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 13, 2008, 06:07 PM »
i dont really think that an electric ice auger is gonna even be able to keep up with a 2 hp jiffy stx 8" there is no way it even possible the stx has got to be the fastest auger on the market.......we went fishing today and through 30" of ice it only took 15 seconds....now thats fast if you ask me..........still kinda thinkin about that icegator though.....kinda like that there aint no damn smoke in the fish house when your done drilling and the fact that its so quiet is kinda nice too......but if the 8" stx can do 30" in 15 seconds i dont really know what to do here its a toss up i think  :o ??? :o ??? ::) ::)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2008, 08:02 PM »
Speed is way over-rated.  Reliability, ease of starting, weight, toughness, ease of keeping the blade sharp (or replacing the blade) are things I consider.  My 3hp Jiffy is iffy, but my 2hp Lightning rips.  Starts on first or second pull.  Warms up fast.  Flies though the ice (chipper blades).  Is lighter and easier to handle than my 3hp.  Was less expensive than my 3hp.  I'll consider an electric when they offer a considerable weight reduction.
My 2 cents.
MD

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:12 AM »
Going to an outdoors show tomorrow and I'm hoping to find some good deals on power augers. I've done a little bit of browsing on the internet and a little bit on the forums. This is a one time thing, I want to buy one and have it last for years. Biggest concern would be reliability and ease of use. Winters are long here, ice gets thick, easily 30" and depending on where I go up to 40. I've fished in as cold as -35 degrees Celsius (-30 F) so easy starting is a must. I think I would use it on 6-12 trips in a season. The main issue I have with my current hand auger is that once you drill a couple holes in one area you don't want to move around at all, so I'd be hoping to gain mobility. I would like at least an 8" model. What gas auger would someone suggest for me?

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2008, 06:15 AM »
i got an stx 2hp 6 " and i cant think of anything i would want or need that that auger doesn't have or do.  8" should be the same....money wasn't an issue but i passed on the pro stx as the gears are in a plastic housing .....and well for ease of description...I BREAK THINGS!  so the stx with a metal gear box came home with me.

love it!!    and i am not shy about popping holes.  i was amazed how many holes i can pop between refills. fill up at the trusk in the am and drill all day on the same tank.
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:06 AM »
i would get a jiffy for sure before anything else they are made in usa and have a 1 yr motor warranty 2 year transmission warranty and 3 years on the stx blades......should be able to drill about a million holes with that......my buddy had the 8" model with the 2 hp motor i love to use the thing you font even have to push down as a matter of fact you have to hold the auger up so it doesnt cut so much its crazy.......the other thing i really like about it is that if you fill it up you are gonna get anywhere from 100-150 holes or more on one tank of fuel.........thats crazy...........and the thing is so quiet when its idling you can have a normal conversation with someone..........and the thing starts on the 3 or 4th pull every time no matter what!!!!!!!!!! faster than hell too 30+ inches in about 15 seconds now thats fast for real anyway i would stick with the one thats made in usa and that would be JIFFY all the way 8) 8) 8) 8) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:42 AM »
ICEGATOR Rules!!!!   best investment to date   have my choise of 6" bit (never used it this year) or the 8" bit  fastest auger on the market!   from a cold start will outdrill em all  prob the hole will be done before the gas auger is started up  never a problem all year  drilled lots of holes  happy camper I am   I know this will be an auger to pass on to my grandson when Im too old to use it   (im only 50 ) lol   its time to put it up for the year  :'( seasons ending  spray a little fantastic on the outside  then a quick wipe with armor all  good to go till next year   ohhh and the batteries  treat em like a vex  charge em once a month if you dont use em    Oh BTW  I never could totally discharge the batteries in a weekend of use
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:31 AM »
I have a new 10" strikemaster, and haven't had a problem with it yet. I fished with it probably 40 times this winter, and had to change the plug once, other than that no problems.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:48 AM »
The 8" Icegator won't be beat by a Jiffy, my Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express is going through at about the same pace as your Jiffy, approx. 15 seconds in 30" of ice, but doesn't sound like a harley. The Icegator Will do it in 10 seconds or under, it feels slow with my strikemaster after using the Icegator. Don't have to pull, don't have to worry about plugs, don't have to worry bout gas, don't have to worry about the recoil rope breaking. A lot less possibilities to leave you stranded on the ice IMO. Then again, when it comes to me and ice fishing technology, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:55 AM »
I believe icewagon said this somewhere along the line... id like to see how these batteries hold up after a year or two of battling the elements and being placed into storage.  Bottom line is cold kills batteries sooner.  Once theyve been around for a few years I would consider, but am always skeptical for the debut year.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:20 PM »
I've heard some negative feedback here on the icegators. Not sure if it's the colder climate or what exactly. It was attached to an 8" blade and struggled on the third hole of 30" ice.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:51 PM »
The 8" Icegator won't be beat by a Jiffy, my Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express is going through at about the same pace as your Jiffy, approx. 15 seconds in 30" of ice, but doesn't sound like a harley. The Icegator Will do it in 10 seconds or under, it feels slow with my strikemaster after using the Icegator. Don't have to pull, don't have to worry about plugs, don't have to worry bout gas, don't have to worry about the recoil rope breaking. A lot less possibilities to leave you stranded on the ice IMO. Then again, when it comes to me and ice fishing technology, if it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck.
and worse case senerio you can still use the regular handle that came with the hand auger if by some strange fate something went wrong with the gator

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:26 PM »
From IceGator's website on the User Manual Page: Warning #1: The Icegator drive is to be used on any 6” or smaller ice auger drill bit ONLY. If you use this on a drill bit larger it may damage the drive, and void you warrantee.

I'm guessing that there's a different manual for their 8" drive units?? I see that they actually offer two models (one with two 12 volt 9amp batteries and one with two 12 volt 12 amp batteries) for 8" auger bits. They say these are limited supply. Which model do you guys with the IceGators have??

If things go well, I'll be picking up an IceGator in the future. I like having at least an 8" hole for bigger fish.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:52 AM »
From IceGator's website on the User Manual Page: Warning #1: The Icegator drive is to be used on any 6” or smaller ice auger drill bit ONLY. If you use this on a drill bit larger it may damage the drive, and void you warrantee.

I'm guessing that there's a different manual for their 8" drive units?? I see that they actually offer two models (one with two 12 volt 9amp batteries and one with two 12 volt 12 amp batteries) for 8" auger bits. They say these are limited supply. Which model do you guys with the IceGators have??

If things go well, I'll be picking up an IceGator in the future. I like having at least an 8" hole for bigger fish.
I have the icegator for 8"    but I mostly use the 9 ah batteries   I havent found a need for the bigger batteries ( I have them)

Offline bridgedoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I raise my eyebrows at the lectric machine.  What is the battery's longevity and what is the price of a replacement battery?  How do you know you won't run out of juice on the lake?  The fuel tank on my Nils Master (8") is translucent, so I see when the fuel is low.  And it doesn't use much fuel.  I don't use 2 gal. all winter. 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:53 AM »
well so far this year it has never died on the lake  and have drilled lots of holes  new battery 22 bucks   about the same as a vex

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #52 on: Mar 15, 2008, 04:11 PM »
NILS.............NEED I SAY MORE :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:57 PM »
i just took 20 minutes reading all the replys and questions, and there is one thing that wasn't mentioned. i had major back surgery last year and ease of not having to pull on a gas powered auger made me go out and buy a icegator. no more serious back spasms. if i didn't get an icegator i probably wouldn't be able to go fishing.
the icegator performed incredibly. i grew up in northern minnesota using various different augers and jiffy was alwayson the top of my list. but for right now its hanging in the shed.

Offline bridgedoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2008, 06:42 PM »
icezombie I'm glad you found an auger that lets you continue to get on the ice and enjoy it all!  Continued good luck with the icegator!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #55 on: Mar 15, 2008, 07:09 PM »
Ive got a 6 inch Nils on my eskimo and we clocked it at 5.82 seconds through 27 inches of ice. I cant imaging how fast the Gator is going to be and no more gas to worry about. I would much rather carry an extra set of batteries with me than take a chance that the spare gas I am carrying is going to leak on my gear. Besides,In the last 3 yrs I have only had 2 days out of over 250 where I needed to drill more than 10 holes in a day to find fish.Power is not going to be an issue.

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #56 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:19 PM »
i;ve got a eskimo baracuda 10 '' 3 horse the twin blades are great a little heavy i;d go with a 2 horse 8"  it;s a little lighter . any thing beats by hand i;m lazy                                   
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Offline travisj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Has anyone ever used an Echo auger or heard of someone using one? Apparently they are industrial earth augers that can be converted in to ice augers. Just wondering because my dad says he can get one through his work for me. I've never heard of them before.
  FEATURES:
>Designed for a wide variety of auger diameters.
>Available auger lengths: 34" (881 mm) or 36" (925 mm).
>Heavy-duty handle and frame assembly reduces vibration for greater operator comfort.
>Turns into a powerful ice auger for year-round use.
>Drills through snow and ice quickly, cleanly.
>8" and 10" ice augers available along with replacement blades. 
 SPECIFICATIONS:
Engine Displacement51.7 cc
CarburetorDiaphragm w/Purge Pump
Max Torque at Engine1.89 ft./lbs. (2.56 Nm)
Max Torque at Auger57.11 ft./lb. (77.39 Nm)
Ignition TypePro-Fire® Electronic
Fuel Capacity37.2 fl. oz.
RPM **230Gear Ratio30.1:1
Dry Weight*22.0 lbs.
Consumer Warranty5 yrs.
Commercial Warranty1 yr.
Rental Warranty90 days

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:41 PM »
i have never heard of that type of auger but have seen the earth augers they sell kinda iffy about buying one though as i dont think that they would run the same as an ice auger as they are made for warmer temps than a regular ice auger.............not really sure how i would like that.......i dont really know too much about the earth auger either but i myself dont really think that it would be the thing to buy................

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 16, 2008, 11:44 PM »
worked landscaping off and on over the past few years... ECHO works great in warm weather, but man is it a bugger to get started in cold weather.  Once you get it running it either performs great or like crap... havent seen a whole lot of middle ground with Echo... id try to stay away from em for ice if you can
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.