The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Clam Drill Plate.  (Read 12720 times)

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
Clam Drill Plate.
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:22 PM »
I just bought the Clam cordless ice auger mount/ handles (looks like a smaller Jiffy mount and handles). I put my old cordless drill on it with my Mora 8in bit. It cut ok but battery didn't last more than 2 holes with 8 in of ice. I went out and bought a 18v Ryobi drill with Lithium Ion batteries. I'm gonna try it tomorrow,  I am thinking a 6in would be better..anyone else have one of these?
How are the edges ?

Offline harry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clam Drill Plate.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:31 PM »
Yup i run low speed abd can get up to 12 holes but dewalt drill i do think drill brand would make a difference. Id make yourself a ring to attach to auger
Also known as Bailey or Bailey63

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:56 PM »
I have that drill, you may want to return it if you are looking for a drill just for augering. Its a great around the house drill though. Mine started smoking after 3 holes with a 6" lazer.  :pinch: You may blow it with an 8" mora.

They do have good batteries though! I have yet to run one of the "large" lithium batteries down during a project.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline gotaway

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:02 PM »
where did you get that drill auger mount ?   I haven't been able to find one
                                                                                                      joe

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I bought it at BassPro 50$ . The auger mounts the same way as it does to a handle ,the drill end you must remove the drill chuck and thread a arbor onto drill that goes through a bearing and mount ( that also has 2 Allen screws locking it to bearing. There's no way for it to falloff drill. For 50 bucks it well designed with a aluminum base plate , nylock nuts, and a beefy bearing n housing.
How are the edges ?

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2014, 04:58 PM »
Well took the new set up on the ice today. I got 5 holes threw 5 inches of ice with the 1.5 lithium pack with the Mora 8 inch drill. I think I need to downsize to a 6 inch drill and return the Ryobi ( like said above  :%$#!: ) and get something more powerful , any suggestions ? My buddy said he just bought a Dewalt 20 volt for 99$, and says that should work.
How are the edges ?

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2014, 05:43 PM »
I don't have the clam adapter, but I made my own adapter. I use a dewalt 18 volt drill and a 6" lazer auger. I highly recommend the 20 volt with a 5 or 6" lazer auger. Forget the 8"

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2014, 06:26 PM »
How many holes do you get out of one battery pack? What size pack?
How are the edges ?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I would go no "cheaper" than dewalt. No less than 18, the 20 will do fine.

I would also suggest a 5-6" auger, but lazer vs mora does not make a huge difference. The mora with sharp blades is almost as easy to turn as a lazer, and without the hang-up on the bottom of the hole.

If you are going to spend the $80 for a lazer auger, you might as well spend the extra $40 and get a nils. http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=31717
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2014, 06:56 PM »
I went to Home Depot today and returned the Ryobi and got the 20volt Dewalt , now to look for a new 6 inch hand auger and keep the 8 inch Mora for a reserve or sell it . So a Laser 6 in is better than a Mora 6 or Strikemaster 6 ?
How are the edges ?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2014, 11:01 PM »
I went to Home Depot today and returned the Ryobi and got the 20volt Dewalt , now to look for a new 6 inch hand auger and keep the 8 inch Mora for a reserve or sell it . So a Laser 6 in is better than a Mora 6 or Strikemaster 6 ?

first off what 20 volt model did you get. I got the 771 and it is not holding up to a lot of use. It will work if the ice is less then 12" thick. The last time I used mine I was on 17 inches of ice and drilled 8 holes back to back and the brushes in the drill started smoking and burning. it still works but I have put mine away for the year and will be switching the drill to the Dewalt 985 at the start of next years ice season. as for the auger I have found the 6" to be the best auger to use with this system.  for Batteries you will want to have a 3.0 AH battery or higher. this will get you the most holes on one charge. When Clam did the testing on this last year they mainly used a Panasonic drill with a 3.3 AH Battery. with this drill and a 6 inch auger they were able to drill 40 holes through 16 inches of ice. they then tried a 7" auger and got 30 holes and a 8" auger that gave them 20 holes. with a 3.0 AH or higher battery and a 6" auger on ice that is less then 12" you should get even more holes per battery charge.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:44 PM »
Yup I bought the 771 Dewalt  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: although I only want this set up for first ice up to 8-9 inches . I have a Jiffy model 30 with a 8 inch bit for thicker ice.
How are the edges ?

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Yup I bought the 771 Dewalt  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: although I only want this set up for first ice up to 8-9 inches . I have a Jiffy model 30 with a 8 inch bit for thicker ice.

up to 9 inches of ice you will be fine with the 771. just keep a eye on it as you use it. if it does start to heat up let it cool down and you will be fine. the first time I used mine I was on 6" of ice and punched 10 holes with no problems. I only had problems when I was trying to drill 8 holes back to back in 17 inches of ice with out letting it cool down.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2014, 08:56 PM »
I don't have the clam mount, but I've been looking at it for my nils 6". I did have a nimrod brand drill adapter for my 6" mora before I bought a nils. I used an 18 volt Milwaukee drill, and it worked like a champ. I could cut about 15 holes +/- through 12 inches of ice on one battery.

There are a couple of tricks to the whole drill/auger set up that I learned through trial and error, and tips from fellow ice shanty members.

First, KEEP THEM BLADES SHARP!! I can't stress this enough, it will really cut down on battery life with old dull blades.

Keep the batteries warm, cold kills battery life. I used an old soft side cooler with hand warmers. Once I was done cutting holes, I'd pull the battery off the drill, and back into the cooler.

Use the low speed/high torque setting on your drill. We all want to cut holes like lightning, but most drills aren't designed for cutting 6"+ holes, with a huge auger shaft.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2014, 07:10 AM »
The Clam setup  doesn't have the correct adapter for a Nils , you would need to make one
How are the edges ?

Offline meat sticks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2014, 09:09 AM »
I use a normark 6 inch auger on a ridgid 18 volt li-ion drill, with 1.5ah batteries.  I can get about 15-17 holes per battery through 12 inches of ice with sharp blades.  I keep the batteries warm, and find the setup does a great job.  I will eventually pick up a 3ah batterie as well.  I have a nils as well, but have yet to get an adapter for it.  Can't wait to try that.  Don't bother with 8 inch augers.  It kills the whole drill deal!

Offline kchamp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2014, 01:29 PM »
ridgid x4 r8611501k life time warranty on batteries and drill 200.00, bass pro 6inch auger 43.00, I drilled 50 holes in 9-10 inches of ice and still had battery left, didn`t even need the spare battery. This is awesome and my back doesn`t even hurt, love this setup. Must buy the drill from home depot for the life time warranty and the batteries are 3amp

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:54 PM »
its a great set up for moving around chasing perch
How are the edges ?

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:20 AM »
Anyone try the Rigid 18v Hammer drill? I believe their batteries have a lifetime warranty

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-Hyper-Lithium-Ion-X4-1-2-in-Cordless-Hammer-Drill-Kit-R8611501K/202581836#
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I put a new Lazer 6in on the Clam mount with my Dewalt 20v with small 1.5 lithium battery and drilled 24 holes through  8 inches of ice today . This set up is great and cuts through ice like butter! The guys I was with were amazed
How are the edges ?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:15 PM »

Came in today so i put it together. I've got a 4amp Lithium ion Battery comming for the drill. I hope this works like it does in the u tube videos. i can say that the weight vs my jiffy model 30, and the space saving area in my sled is going to be awsome. Sharpened the shaver blades while I had it out. can't wait for ice now!

Offline icehook17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:35 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Can you run an 8" bit on it?   Looks great. Wondering how many holes on battery.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Can you run an 8" bit on it?   Looks great. Wondering how many holes on battery.

people have done it but it is not recommended. testing was done this year and to go from a 6 inch hole up to a 8 inch hole required 25% more torque. this will burn a drill out faster when putting the extra torque on it even with the large bearing on the plate. as for the number of holes per battery it depends on the battery capacity. a 3ah or higher is recommended. the original testing was done on 16" of ice on Mille Lacs lake in central Minnesota. the drilled used for that test was a Panasonic that had a 3.3ah battery. they drilled over 40 holes on that one fully charged battery for a total of 700 inches of ice. one of the tourney guy I talked to was getting 50 to 60 holes on his battery but that was because he was using a 5 inch auger on his setup and this was through 24 inches of ice. he got like 20 to 30 holes on the same battery when the ice got to 50" thick on the one lake he was fishing. he had to use the extension and just broke through as the plate touched the ice.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2014, 10:35 PM »
I ran 7" blades on my drill auger all last season with zero problems. I'm going to try 8" blades on my mora after positive reports last season from Saginaw bay. I tried my 18v brushed drill and had issues with the cordless drill motor heating up and cutting out. This may be due to the fact that I am drilling bigger holes than recommended, however, when I bolted on the Milwaukee Fuel brushless drill all those problems were over. 44-7"holes through 16" of ice @ zero degrees on 1 xc-4.0 battery= AWESOME!!! Congratulations and enjoy your new auger!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Thanks .I'm going to try this dewalt. If it burns up I'll be looking for a brushless drill like the milwakee.

Offline Retiredbum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I bought my 18 fuel Drill last year and my plate this year, So I should be good to go.  We had 14 inches last year of ice. And at my age using a hand auger is a thing of the past. My shoulders and arms and hands will thank me.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 13, 2014, 08:23 AM »
I bought my 18 fuel Drill last year and my plate this year, So I should be good to go.  We had 14 inches last year of ice. And at my age using a hand auger is a thing of the past. My shoulders and arms and hands will thank me.
How about updating your profile with your location so that we know where that 14" was!!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:52 AM »
I had a little trouble getting my first drill off the adapter..... A little dab of anti-seize went on the next time. Might be a good idea. Good luck!!!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2014, 12:37 PM »
8" is a bit much for this setup even with the Milwaukee Fuel drill. 6 or 7in seems to be the sweet spot.

Check out this post here: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=273421.120
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.