The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 50:1 or 100:1 for a jiffy  (Read 10091 times)

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 50:1 or 100:1 for a jiffy
« Reply #60 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:20 PM »
This is right off that link.
Applications
Quickshot is recommended for use in all two- and four-stroke gasoline-powered engines, including motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, personal watercraft, ATVs, edgers, tillers, mowers, snowblowers, chainsaws, generators and farm and construction equipment. However, AMSOIL P.i. Performance Improver is the superior choice for passenger vehicle applications.

Am I missing something here????

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #61 on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:12 AM »
No. You are not missing a thing. You are absolutely correct in the application. I commend your choice.

May I question why you need a cleaner, maybe a gunked-up machine that's puking black, oily snot. This is the best way to really be rid of that condition and aid in short term storage. Plus, by using Sabre, it will help prevent it from recurring.

Sorry, my bad, as I mistakenly thought you wanted to stabilize your fuel mix with ethanol already in the gas you have, for long term storage with the Stabilizer.

And earlier you mentioned that Amsoil was far superior. That was well said.
May I please point out that Amsoil Corporate Headquaters is located in, of all places, Superior, Wisconsin.
So, that was good humor too. Thanks 

Happy Birthday and good luck.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Auger gas Mixture
« Reply #62 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:45 AM »
Grab some TruFuel 40:1 and never worry about mixing a thing!! 

The best thing about the trufuel is that there is no ethanol in the gasoline!  It's pretty impossible to find gasoline without ethanol in MA!! 

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #63 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:51 AM »

The best thing about the trufuel is that there is no ethanol in the gasoline!  It's pretty impossible to find gasoline without ethanol in MA!!
xjma
Did you purchase it on-line ? Or did you find a distributor in Ma.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I've been running regular 2 cycle oil all my life at the engine man. recommendations. I have never had any of the problems you guy claim to have with your engines? If you are racing that is one thing, but don't fool people into thinking they "need" to run some high $$$ synthetic oil in a freaking ice auger, it's not a snowmobile or chainsaw turning 10,000 rpm's.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:11 AM »

So this stuff comes pre mixed and ready to go? It replaces the need for gas as well?
Seems pretty cool to me.. Do you add anything else to it for maintenance (a cap of this or a bottle of that?) ?

Also the mixture for my auger is 24:1. Will the 40:1 TruFuel still work?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

surflizard

« Reply #66 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:13 AM »
I would still use startron with it, but thats just me !

surflizard

« Reply #67 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:25 AM »
No need to get hostile, No one is telling anyone what they Have to run in their auger, Nor is anyone trying to Fool anyone here ! These are only suggestions from other people as to what they are running and how it performs for them ! It is up to each individual to decide how and what they want to run in their machines ! Good luck with whatever you choose to run in your augers !

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #68 on: Nov 07, 2011, 09:54 AM »
I think it's fair to say that everyone has the attitude of "whatever floats your boat", I don't mind people stating what they use and what they don't like to use as the more knowledge the more fuel ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline problyfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:26 AM »
No. You are not missing a thing. You are absolutely correct in the application. I commend your choice.

May I question why you need a cleaner, maybe a gunked-up machine that's puking black, oily snot. This is the best way to really be rid of that condition and aid in short term storage. Plus, by using Sabre, it will help prevent it from recurring.

Sorry, my bad, as I mistakenly thought you wanted to stabilize your fuel mix with ethanol already in the gas you have, for long term storage with the Stabilizer.

And earlier you mentioned that Amsoil was far superior. That was well said.
May I please point out that Amsoil Corporate Headquaters is located in, of all places, Superior, Wisconsin.
So, that was good humor too. Thanks 

Happy Birthday and good luck.

I am choosing to use the Quickshot as just a bit of maintenance.  I have had no problems with my auger puking or sputtering or fowling of any sort.  I take that back, I did have some black ooze coming from the exhaust last year but nothing bad.  The leaner mix of a synthetic will solve that entirely, I believe.  Again the Quickshot is just for a little maintenance cleaning since I'm switching to a synthetic.  I do not and will not run ethanol in my small engines.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  I'm glad we are understanding each other and thanks for the birthday wishes.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Nov 07, 2011, 10:43 AM »
With my Jiffys 24:1 ratio, what TruFuel ratio should I use (40:1 or 50:1)?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #71 on: Nov 07, 2011, 11:11 AM »
When you get right down to it, this yearly ongoing, never ending debate and opening of the proverbial

could be solved by reading and FOLLOWING your owners maual. Don't have one? Download it. My .02  ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #72 on: Nov 07, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Ok so a gal of gas, one whole bottle of 100:1 Amsoil, and a cap of starttron?

Are there any local places to get Amsoil and starttron?
BaitBucket, here is a way to calculate the oil you need for a gallon of gas. It is relative to what ratio you want to run in your auger. Did you mention the oil to gas ratio that you want to run? If you did, I missed it. This is an easy calculator to use. http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Nov 07, 2011, 01:23 PM »
BaitBucket, here is a way to calculate the oil you need for a gallon of gas. It is relative to what ratio you want to run in your auger. Did you mention the oil to gas ratio that you want to run? If you did, I missed it. This is an easy calculator to use. http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

Im actually interested in trying out the TruFuel solution. Just need to find out which one people use on a Jiffy 30. It states its a 24:1 on the auger.

surflizard

« Reply #74 on: Nov 07, 2011, 02:12 PM »
They tend to run rough, Bog down, Dribble excess oil out the exhaust, start hard and constantly Foul spark plugs at 24: 1 ! 40 or 50:1 is a much better place to start, Just my opinion !

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:20 AM »
xjma
Did you purchase it on-line ? Or did you find a distributor in Ma.

wally world....asked the people there, they said no, I looked around and they had the 40:1 which is what I wanted.  So far the chainsaw, weedwhacker, leaf blower love it...I've got it in the auger too and have had it out running but obviously not cut any ice with it yet.  All the other equipment has been happy with it so far. 

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:30 AM »
So this stuff comes pre mixed and ready to go? It replaces the need for gas as well?
Seems pretty cool to me.. Do you add anything else to it for maintenance (a cap of this or a bottle of that?) ?

Also the mixture for my auger is 24:1. Will the 40:1 TruFuel still work?

Yes, trufuel comes with oil pre-mixed into gasoline, so you don't need anything else!!  IT's very convenient to have the oil mixed in already, however, the selling point to me is that the gasoline has zero ethanol!!  40:1 is what most people run in their augers and it's been an approved mix ratio from the factory.  (realistically, going with a higher ratio should be fine since the augers don't pull that many RPMs, but 40 to one is conservative and does the trick)  I mix oil all the time with all the 2strokes (including a ported 2 stroke ATV) that I've got, so the mixing isn't the issue.  If you mix 2stroke all the time you would want a ratio-rite, it's just a cone-shaped graduated cylinder with measurements on the side telling you how much oil for this ratio for 1, 2.5, 5, gallons of gas. 

I personally don't run stabilizer but that's because my equipment is stored in my basement/garage where the temps stay constant.  Once I build my own huge barn and keep stuff outside in changing temps, I would run stabilizer.  IMO, running trufuel with no ethanol makes stabilizer less necessary, but it's still never a bad idea to run stabilizer, period. 

Mixtures and which type of oil to use is definitely a can of worms subject!!  Everyone has a different opinion and nobody is necessarily wrong, there are just many ways that it can be done.   Here's way more info that you probably want to read on the subject : http://www.blasterforum.com/engine-13/pre-mix-ratios-myth-facts-read-14935/ but keep in mind this is in reference to dirt bikes/atvs that see much harsher operating conditions than augers and pull WAY more rpms....and also the cranks are horizontal vs. augers which are vertical. 

One thing to remember is whatever ratio you're running, just stick to it.  Changing ratios can effect the jetting and if you are good at one ratio and go to another you risk running lean!! 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #77 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Xjma, I've read your post several times, slowly, for full understanding of your intent and purpose. I also read the link at Blasterforum.
It is all enlightening. Unfortunately, it didn't change my religion.    :woot: :roflmao:

The education you've presented confirms that it is best to use what a person believes to be best, even when misinformed and/or myopia prevents the mind change to an up-grade for better performance and longer life of equipment. I'm sure you've seen a few hardheaded folks that continue to "walk the plank" into doom.

Thanks again for your post.

PS I have found it best to use the best lubes available, which COST MORE, I can't afford to use anything thing CHEAPER.    ;)2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.