Author Topic: Any experience with Shappell FX200i  (Read 10892 times)

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
Any experience with Shappell FX200i
« on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Does anyone own the Shappell FX200 Insulated fish house?

I did a forum search and found old topics of the FX200 with mostly positive reviews, but haven't seen many on the insulated version. Even online retailers that carry the shack have limited reviews.

I bought a Clam Nanook thermal last year and I just hate it. The poles seem so cheap in quality.

I've never owned a Shappell flip over, but I do have an old suit case and that seems like better quality than the Nanook. I really like the design of the bench seat, big sled, and not having to slide poles for the frame.

Unfortunately, I don't see this house set up anywhere near me to see it in a store, so curious if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks!

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Any experience with Shappell FX200i
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:12 PM »
I've got.the non thermal and I like it a lot. I'm thinking about buying the thermal cover to put on it but in all reality the only drawback I have is that when windy it's kinda loud. The fabric gets going and it's kinda annoying. Oh yea the bench is not comfortable put a seat on it. I started with a good out bleeder style and now have a boat seat but man is it roomy and surprisingly easy to pull by hand.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2017, 08:31 PM »
One of the reasons I think I would like the bench seat is because when the house is folded down it would easily fit under the tonneau cover in my pick up if I'm understanding the measurements correctly. I see a lot of folks just use stadium bleacher backs or another support on the bench which seems to work fine.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:06 PM »
I just bought an FX200i and started assembly last night. i will finish it up tonight. So far quality looks great and assembly has been easy after I got the hyfax on the sled.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:40 PM »
i don't use shappell's 2 man, but their 1 man version is very close to being the same thing other than you sit on the side of the tub on the 2 man and you sit on the end of the tub on the one man. the weight for the fx2200i is 76 pounds and is only 4 pounds more than their non-insulated version. they pull much easier on slush and track better and have reduced noise using their hyfax kit. it is reversible too so you get twice the runt ime from them. very nice quality. only downside (if your not used to doing this) is you have to grab flaps that hold the skirt to the tub and press the velcro from the tent to the tub. you don't have to undo any thing to open it tho.

i just sprayed water proofing on my fx100I and it sitting out side trying to air out before i bring it to finish drying and then i'll add the hyfax kit to it. i had 4 fx100's and i sell my old one when i buy i new one. i buy the newest version every time they come out. i have shappell's wh6500 and it leaks from the roof when heating or if it's raining. i have their dx300 and it is great for what it is, it's just not as nice as a flip over and it much harder to move around after it's set up. it doesn't leak. all of them condensate but the insulated version should not. i also own gander mountain 8x8 insulated pop up and it doesn't condensate and has a roof seam that does leak.
shappell keeps making their shanties better. they are supposed to add dog leg bars for the bottom of the side of the tent soon. they have not yet on the only two insulated version of flip overs they make. the fx100I i not supposed to be out yet, maybe the dog leg bars is why.

just use about a 15" rope and don't bother with the included rope. when affixing the rubberized metal strip that holds the tent to the tub, i use clothes pins and clamps and try to stretch out the sides tight so when the tent is closed the side seams are not as big. also, try not to use the keeper screws so you can break it down for summer storage into a sealed bucket or tote. make sure it is flat when you add that strip so the front is all of the way down all of the way around. comes with a wind bar.
i use velcro one strip to hold smd5050 led reel lights to the top and front bars and i use a remote dimmer/on/off switch for those.

here's some shots i took at knutsons of it. they have them all set up if any one near brooklyn michigan wants to see them on display.
i brightened up this pic so you can see inside a little better. the 2nd pic is normal color of their fabric.
you can see that flap on the left that you have to grab and press it onto the tub. both sides use them.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I am having a heck of a time finding one that I can go look at here in Minnesota. Shappell customer service said to check with Running's, but it isn't listed on their web site, and I called two locations with no luck.

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2017, 10:17 AM »
I finished most of the assembly of mine last night. It went together easily. I left the fabric on the sled loose overnight to give it a chance to lay out and stretch a bit. I will attach it to the sled tonight. Other than that it was a smooth assembly. The hyfax was a pain but it got done.

I really like the layout of the shack and think it will work well. I fish in a lot of wind so it is nice to have a shack with a slightly lower profile. But in my older Eskimo Quickflip II it was nice to stand up and stretch too. I wish it had bigger and removable windows and bigger air vents. I can see airflow being a bit of an issue at times. I will be putting it on the ice this weekend for the first time and can give more feedback then. So far it is a winner.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I sold my Nanook, so now it is time to see if I can find one of these in Minnesota to look at.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2017, 11:03 PM »
I finished most of the assembly of mine last night. It went together easily. I left the fabric on the sled loose overnight to give it a chance to lay out and stretch a bit. I will attach it to the sled tonight. Other than that it was a smooth assembly. The hyfax was a pain but it got done.

I really like the layout of the shack and think it will work well. I fish in a lot of wind so it is nice to have a shack with a slightly lower profile. But in my older Eskimo Quickflip II it was nice to stand up and stretch too. I wish it had bigger and removable windows and bigger air vents. I can see airflow being a bit of an issue at times. I will be putting it on the ice this weekend for the first time and can give more feedback then. So far it is a winner.

i guess i forgot to mention to attach the hyfax to the nose of the sled first. makes it go much easier. just follow the holes to the back one by one.

all shappells have removable/replaceable windows.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:05 AM »
hear are more images of the shelter, in the one man size. the  two man is the same, but obviously bigger.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349558.0

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:03 PM »
i guess i forgot to mention to attach the hyfax to the nose of the sled first. makes it go much easier. just follow the holes to the back one by one.

all shappells have removable/replaceable windows.

I did exactly as you described. The rubberized washers have a cup to them, that cup makes it so the nut can't catch the threads when you try to tighten it down. I had to smash the washer a bit so the nut would catch. It was only an issue on the middle runner, the outside ones were fine.

My FX200i has sewn in windows, just like a Clam. It is a disappointment because my understanding was that they were removable and that was one of the main reasons I bought it. I had to special order it through my local baitshop sight unseen. They are a Shappell dealer but do not stock anything besides Jet Sleds and Widehouses.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 01:24 AM »
news to me about sewing them in. i have had 6 shappell shelters (down to three atm) and they always are replaceable.
but your right, i don't see the windows for sale for that unit.
http://www.shappell.com/fx200partsaccpp.html

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:17 PM »
Well, I finally got my Shappell FX200i after lots of research on it. I had a Clam Nanook and a Clam Scout XL previously. I loved the Scout but found out I needed something bigger. I hated the Nanook and I ended up using my old Shappell S3000 more than the Nanook. The thing that bothered me the most was the quality of the shelter. The poles seemed weak, I spent hours tinkering with the poles and could never get them to be level...I just didn't like it.

My main things in buying a shack were having the ability for two people, but still be able to pull by hand if needed (will have smitty for this), and be able to fit under my tonneau cover in the pick up. After getting it all put together, I couldn't be happier. Everything down to the poles, hardware, rubber molding, etc...is all so much better quality than I had with my Clams. And not having to extend the poles is just awesome.

I put the hyfax on first and after that it all went together pretty quick. I will be adding stadium seats and lights at some point...but am going to fish out of it a few times to see exactly what I want to do.

Going up north to the cabin tomorrow night through the weekend, so we will see how much I like it as we have a high of -10 on Saturday.

A few photos:

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 PM »
I also was impressed with how well the molding held without needing the screws...I used binder clips when attaching them with the molding and I left a few on. I'm going to fish out of it this weekend and see how those hold up...I'm not opposed to putting the screws in, but If I don't have to I don't want to...and it seems like it holds ok without them.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2018, 01:50 PM »
On my 3 year with FX200,,, Love it,,, Big tub, easy up and down and fits under toneau cover closed in box (5'6"box) of truck,,, I put a pair of downhill skis on it for towing etc and helps when you load in the back of truck as just lift front end onto tailgate and back of skis bite into snow/ground/ice and will not slide back,,, yes would buy the insulated one if available but mine works good. Bought at Dunham's sporting goods.
majic

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:57 AM »
I have now used my FX200i quite a few times. I like it a lot. Super easy to run n gun with the one piece frames. I find myself more willing to move if the bite is slow and I need to search for fish. That was one of the main reasons I went with this shanty. The thing is so warm I rarely use my heater. The only time I turned the heat on was a day that was -12. Outside of that if there is any sun at all it warms up really well on its own.

I am still bummed they do not have removable windows as I would love to crack the window for more ventilation and airflow when it gets warm inside. I just unzip the front and back a few inches to alleviate that issue.

I have lit the interior for low light and night fishing with an Otter Pro LED set and it works awesome. Plenty of light. I also dropped in a cheap carpet into the sled which is a nice addition for keeping my cargo from sliding everywhere. I absolutely love the space in the sled for hauling gear, so much more room than my old Eskimo QF2.

So far I give it a 8.5 out of 10.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:01 PM »
I'm 6-4...would I feel claustrophobic in this?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:52 PM »
I'm 6-4...would I feel claustrophobic in this?

yes. I am 6' and I can't stand up in it.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:08 PM »
You don't like it ?

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:36 PM »
I like it. I wanted a lower profile shack because I am in a very windy part of the country. But it is different from what I am used to with my old Eskimo. It has a few small faults like permanent windows and bottom bars that don't sit flush on the ice, but overall it is a great shack. The travel cover does suck and I will be looking for an alternative sooner than later.

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:11 PM »
I see the FX 150 is several inches higher...might see if I can find one of those

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2018, 05:31 PM »
I could not be happier with the FX200i. Here are a few photos of it in action. I love the simplicity of this shack, the low profile also made it perfect in high wind. The huge sled is awesome for all of the stuff that I bring with. RatFink - my shack does have the removable windows. Still need to get lighting for it, but I am really glad I dumped the Nanook for this shelter.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2018, 06:06 PM »
glad you like it. they are always improving them tho.
so it does have removalable windows. some one posted it does not. i was near them at knustons, but didn't check on it. i'd be worried about getting the wind flap stuck in ice and ripping it trying to get it out. i use that method on the inside of my hub units tho on the wind side. with flips you just point the rear of the shelter into the wind so you don't need to do add snow to the flaps.

shappell is trying to add dog legs for the lower bars near the ice soon.

my fx100I was frosting last nite while heating at the thermal welds in the tents material used. it was doing it about two feet up from the ice. temp was 14 fahrenheit and nite time and in it for 6 hours no fan. using a mid sized mr heater.

bulldawger, the 200 and 150 use the same sled. close to the same weight. 150 you sit on the end of the tub. 200 you sit on the long side. taller they are, the more is cost to heat. just get out and walk around to stretch out and get some fresh air.

Offline veedo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2018, 02:40 PM »
Can anyone else comment on how this shelter is working out for them?  Shopping around for a light weight two man shelter.  Not sure what brand to go with.  Would like to get something that's well built, not too concerned with saving a buck.  Local shop had one in the box.  It sure is wide.  Must be a little tougher to pull back the others?

Offline Rat Fink

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 11, 2018, 05:36 PM »
I still like mine alot. I would reiterate mine does NOT have removable windows, they are sewn in. I wish it had bigger air vents with actual closures so you can open them a lot or just a little. The side flaps leave a small gap which sucks in a lot of cold air on your feet. But overall it is a nice shack and easy to heat.

Offline Bmerle23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I’m in the second season with mine. Love how warm you stay in it and the simplicity of it. Seems well built, not malfunctions thus far. The tub is huge, especially compared to the overall size and fishable area. When in use, it’s short. Space gets tight with two anglers, two flashers and a heater. It’s pretty hard to manage for one person too(heavy). Overall I’d say it’s a good buy, especially for the price point of other insulated shelters.

Offline SectionA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • On, Wisconsin.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Just thought I would add a reply to this thread. This is the 3rd season with my FX200i and I've loved it the last 2 years except I was trying to find a way to make it lighter. I ended up taking the bench seat out. I had two bleacher seat backs that I slid on the bench that not only took up room but also added some weight. I already had these ice fishing chairs that we use in the hub shelter and go figure they fit almost perfectly on the grooves in the sled. Added more room in the sled and took out some weight. Thought I would share if anyone was interested.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.