Author Topic: WHEN  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
WHEN
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 05:04 PM »
do they typically begin their spawning mission and move back into the shallows?? I found them piled up at last ice last season but would appreciate any info as to when they should start moving from the basins and get into the weeds again. I am goin to order a mess of fatheads cuz they were all over them last year....I know the best thing to do is get out there a lot but im gonna spend a bit of cash having these fellers delivered and would love to time it right. I am located in northern NY and the ice usually stays a couple weeks into april. Thanks loads in advance for any info!! :)

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: WHEN
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:36 PM »
I found some in 9fow tonight and the lake has a max depth of around 30 ft. Im in northeastern MA. I usually find them in 15ft so maybe they have started their move.

billybono

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:52 PM »
pretty much if found around the end of pike season there kind of staging near the shallows, but still relitavly deep ...but then again i dont exstensivly fish for em.

billybono

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2006, 04:16 PM »
Here in north central wisconsin it seems like mid march for a start date when they move to shallow water.  If you can find some good cabbage weeds in 5 to 10 feet of water, you can then sight fish them if the water is clear enough.  The best I have done is the last week or two before the ice gets so bad that you cannot trust it any more walking on it.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2006, 06:39 PM »
I agree Crappie Guy...last ice here in NY seem to be the best days as well. I will then return in my boat to the same spot and continue to catch them as soon as I can get it in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.